2024 Barkleys (Read 116 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I agree.  All that filming robs the race of one of it's quintessential characteristics.  I'm not sure what can be done about it, though, since the venue is a public park.  Asking people to behave less selfishly has a long history of not working.

Sad but true.

I honestly don't see any spectator value in Barkley.  You're seeing the competitors what, once every 12 hours or so?  Bit different to a backyard ultra which has a whole lot more laps.

And you're totally right that the mystery of the event is one of the great things about it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

John Kelly didn't even think Paris would finish according to his own social media post.

A few days ago a bunch of my friends came & ran around the woods of Tennessee tearing pages out of books for the Barkley Marathons. The 5 of us here gathered 75 each. Jasmin Paris had the kind of performance that makes this arbitrary adventure have meaning so far beyond this yellow gate. I don't think anything at Barkley will ever top it.

I wrote back in 2018 (https://randomforestrunner.com/.../can-a-woman-finish.../) that a woman could finish Barkley. But being possible & actually happening are two entirely different things, and I didn't know if I would ever see it. Jasmin had all the right ingredients - incredible strength & speed, an unstoppable quiet resolve, master navigation, & amazing support from her husband Konrad. She failed in 2022 & 2023, but nevertheless, she persisted & gained valuable experience.

When the giant group of 16 in the lead half way around loop 1 started to spread out, she was not amongst the 6 of us back to camp first. Nevertheless, she persisted & caught us going up Rat Jaw in the afternoon sun.

She seemed to start to struggle getting enough food down. Nevertheless, she persisted & kept pace with me, @ihorverys, & @ultra_damo until nearly the end of loop 3. She hit another low point & slipped back - something that at that point would have made it extremely easy to give up hope of a finish. Nevertheless, she persisted & joined @derajslc & Greig for the daunting & critical loop 4.

When we crossed paths on loop 5 & I did the math in my head, the odds for her were very bad. After I finished & heard how far behind she was at the fire tower, the question was how long over the cutoff she would unfortunately be. Nevertheless, she persisted.

As the last few minutes of hope disappeared, my oldest son was the 1st to spot her moving through the woods towards camp. Someone dismissed it as just a kid saying things. When she emerged, Jared & I started frantically looking between each other, our watches, & her willing her broken body up the road. @garyrobbins, who has the most heart breaking near finish at Barkley & returned this year to crew me, stood behind us.

My daughters were there watching. Thank you Jasmin, for showing them what I never fully could.

📸 @howiesternphoto

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kinda nobody thought she would.

And yet we all hoped she would.

Throughout Friday afternoon, Twitter was full of people throwing percentages out there guessing her chances of finishing.

And she did!

John Kelly didn't even think Paris would finish according to his own social media post.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I honestly don't see any spectator value in Barkley.  You're seeing the competitors what, once every 12 hours or so? 

But...if you have YouTube channel, or some other internet channel or site, where you can make money from people viewing what you post, then it's in your interest to go out there and film the race.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yea, according to Laz, spectators are only allowed at the Fire Tower.

But agree, it is an open TN State Park. TN State Parks are free, and do not require permits. So really anybody can show up and go most anywhere.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Was the course harder? John Kelly speaks -

Some general #BM100 thoughts. To start, how were there so many finishers? Not intentionally being a smartass, but it's because there were so many finishers. Working alone there might have been 1-2 if even that.

We were in 2 lead groups. One had me (22 loops prior to this year), one had Jared (25). Also Greig & Jasmin (6+ each) plus Damian (4). Everyone was a solid navigator (Jasmin in particular seemed to instinctively know things). There's benefit to everyone - even me. This year I was mainly the "fixer" - ensuring no small mistakes became disasters. Little things can kill, but one big mistake could've ended it for everyone.

I also get more seeing a finish from e.g. Jasmin, Ihor, Greig. I've got mine. There's marginal value to more. You don't get to the top & stay there by knocking everyone else down. Pull them up w/ you. Then when you inevitably slip they're right there to catch you.

This was the 2nd year in a row with fantastic conditions. Last year slightly too cold, this year slightly too warm, but neither w/ heavy rain or fog. Start time was in my ideal 5-8 AM window. Good sleep, light by the time you need it, guaranteed daylight finish, no loops of near total darkness.

Course changes were significant, but difficult to quantify. Replaced 1 of my least favorite sections w/ my new least favorite (briars, blowdowns, cliffs, no clear path... an absolute mess). Added 2 books, even if no new distance that adds ~10 minutes.

Is 5 too many? Will the course now get much harder? I don't think so. Everything perfectly aligned, none of the finishes by a huge margin. Next year will probably have a worse start time, worse weather, & not as many strong veterans.

Sometimes people catch lightning in a bottle (congrats Ihor & Aurélien!🙂), but usually people keep at it until they get "lucky" conditions (e.g. Greig, Jasmin, Karel). Zero finishers 2018-2022. "The harder I work, the luckier I get."

Is the goal 1% of attempts finish, 1% of participants (i.e. Jared & I don't "count"), or 1% of qualified applicants could finish? I don't know. If 1% can finish, that 1% is selected, & everyone finishes, seems that's actually right.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I like his attitude about the first finish vs. the incremental value of subsequent finishes and about helping each other rather than putting people down.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

I'm pretty sure no one will finish next year. Having FIVE finishers this year is probably making Laz think he made this year's course too easy. Next year will be brutal.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

undue monkey

Guillaume Calmettes' dropped page got returned. Talk about serendipity. And sportsmanship.

I like his attitude about the first finish vs. the incremental value of subsequent finishes and about helping each other rather than putting people down.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I was told by the one who counted the pages that he had to go back and get the missing page, which he did. I had not heard that somebody brought it to him.

Guillaume Calmettes' dropped page got returned. Talk about serendipity. And sportsmanship.

undue monkey

"...dropping was unacceptable, so Guillaume swallowed a candy bar and dashed off. When he reached Chimney Top, he ran into another runner. To his surprise, the guy had his page! But more surprising was, he wasn’t the one who had found it. Another runner, Kelly Halpin, had found the page but she’d given it to him because he was faster and might get it back sooner. That proved to not be the case when she passed him but didn’t think to get the page back. If she had, Guillaume would have missed her. His race would have been over.

After 3 hours, Guillaume is back at the gate and runs straight through onto loop two, mere minutes ahead of the cutoff. He’s still in the race but now must rewire his brain. He’d been a contender. Now, he was just trying to survive."

Barkley 2024: A Bit Traumatic and Wonderful

Running Problem

Problem Child

I'm pretty sure no one will finish next year. Having FIVE finishers this year is probably making Laz think he made this year's course too easy. Next year will be brutal.

Weather plays a factor into finishing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Just came here to post this.

Super cool.

"...dropping was unacceptable, so Guillaume swallowed a candy bar and dashed off. When he reached Chimney Top, he ran into another runner. To his surprise, the guy had his page! But more surprising was, he wasn’t the one who had found it. Another runner, Kelly Halpin, had found the page but she’d given it to him because he was faster and might get it back sooner. That proved to not be the case when she passed him but didn’t think to get the page back. If she had, Guillaume would have missed her. His race would have been over.

After 3 hours, Guillaume is back at the gate and runs straight through onto loop two, mere minutes ahead of the cutoff. He’s still in the race but now must rewire his brain. He’d been a contender. Now, he was just trying to survive."

Barkley 2024: A Bit Traumatic and Wonderful