DavePNW

Just got my email - I'm in!!

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Just got my email - I'm in!!

Congrats!!!

*waits patiently*

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My piece of advice:  put your name on your shirt or bib. The first time I ran NY I didn't do the.  The second time, I did put my name on the bib and it was worth it. Having people screaming your name can be a big boost, especially for those last, rough miles in Central Park.  (And early in the race, before I was suffering, it made me feel like some sort of celebrity.)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

LunarLuminance

I've been there! When I was prepping for my first marathon, First off, you gotta figure out where the race is and where you wanna stay. If it's a big city marathon, booking a hotel close to the start line can save you a ton of hassle on race day. Airbnb is also a good shout if you want something more budget-friendly or unique. As for getting there, if you're traveling, try to arrive a day or two early to acclimate and pick up your race packet stress-free. And trust me, you wanna avoid trying any new foods or activities the day before the race—stick to what you know works for you. And hey, don't forget to enjoy the experience too! It's not just about the race itself, but the journey getting there. Good luck! 🏃‍♂️

DavePNW

My piece of advice:  put your name on your shirt or bib. The first time I ran NY I didn't do the.  The second time, I did put my name on the bib and it was worth it. Having people screaming your name can be a big boost, especially for those last, rough miles in Central Park.  (And early in the race, before I was suffering, it made me feel like some sort of celebrity.)

People always talk about doing this at big races, I never have. I may try to remember to pack a Sharpie. 

Also apparently I gotta figure out where the race is. I think it’s in New York City, but I should probably confirm that.

Dave

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

People always talk about doing this at big races, I never have. I may try to remember to pack a Sharpie.

Yeah, it's kinda fun having spectators call your name. I've had it on my shirt, and of course some races print it on your bib. At Boston a couple of nice women asked me if I wanted them to Sharpie it onto my arm. Sure, why not?

Also apparently I gotta figure out where the race is. I think it’s in New York City, but I should probably confirm that.

Hahaha

Running Problem

Problem Child

I think permanent markers are available outside of the PNW.  Maybe at a grocery store or even a hardware store if those exist near urban areas of New York. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

If you are going to write your name somewhere, I recommend doing it on a place where you can conceal it if you are having a bad race.  It would be very annoying to have people calling your name and saying "hey, you're about to break 4:30" when your goal was 3:30...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

All I got was people shouting out my name with "yeah" or "come on" or "go."  In the loudest areas I'd hear my name, look at the people and give them a thumbs or or a smile and they'd shout even louder.  Nothing about time or anything that could be in any way a negative or potentially discouraging.  Due to the wave start, they have no idea what your potential time is and they probably don't care.  A lot of these people deal with the daily stress of living in NY and they love the opportunity to blow off steam by going out and shouting for hours on end.  I mean really, the lungs on some of these folks...

This is how I wore my name.

DavePNW

Not sure what I’ll do, but I can guarantee it won’t look that professional!

Also it may seem weird, but I’m half-hoping for too-warm weather. Because I think it would be fun to just jog it, not worry about my time, and just take it all in. I’m sure if it’s good weather, I won’t be able to stop myself from racing it all-out. Even though it’s a course that it’s tough to run a good time on, under the best of conditions.

Dave

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Not sure what I’ll do, but I can guarantee it won’t look that professional!

Also it may seem weird, but I’m half-hoping for too-warm weather. Because I think it would be fun to just jog it, not worry about my time, and just take it all in. I’m sure if it’s good weather, I won’t be able to stop myself from racing it all-out. Even though it’s a course that it’s tough to run a good time on, under the best of conditions.

Full disclosure - the name was my wife's work.  In an gesture of love, she printed the letters on a piece of paper, then cut them out of the paper to create a stencil, then used the stencil to write the name onto masking tape on the bib.  She enjoys that sort of arts & crafts thing.

To the second part, information I recently saw says NY has the second most climb of the majors, second only to Boston, but is not net downhill as Boston is.  NY is also back-loaded with hills.  In other words, it's not a fast, PR course.  If you're only going to do it once, I don't disagree at all with the idea of soaking in the experience.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks Fred I didn’t know how hilly New York was.  Boston has it all at the hard part.  If New York is hilly all the time it might be more in my wheel house. Just run more hills.

VDOT 53.37 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks Fred I didn’t know how hilly New York was.  Boston has it all at the hard part.  If New York is hilly all the time it might be more in my wheel house. Just run more hills.

I'm sure you can find plenty of elevation charts for the NYCM online.  I'll point out that some of the worst hills are the bridges.  The Verrazano bridge at the start is the worst, but you've just started and feel great, so you don't notice it.  Large stretches of Brooklyn, early in the race are relatively smooth.  Then the second biggest hill/bridge comes at mile 15, and that one you feel.  After another bridge at mile 20, which isn't awful but itself, but it's at mile 20, the rest of the hills are native terrain.  Mile 24 is one long, gradual, climb, getting steeper at the end.  Some rolling hills in Central Park, and even the last ½ mile is net uphill - so that's what I mean about the race's hills being back-loaded.  The first 13 miles are less challenging from a climb perspective than the second 13.  Yeah, run more hills in training, but also keep more in the tank than you might for a more even course.

{Disclaimer:  I'm no marathon expert.  I've run NY twice and have done all of four marathons in total.  My best time is just under 4:30.  Your own mileage and experience may affect your results differently.  That said, I'm relating not just what I've experienced, but what's been shared with me from other local runners who've done it - and some of them much faster than me.  Talking just over 3 hours for them.}

Running Problem

Problem Child

I didn't get in.

EDIT: I'm in the general lottery now. March 28.

VDOT 53.37 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I didn't get in.

EDIT: I'm in the general lottery now. March 28.

Good luck.