2024 New York Marathon (Read 132 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

All I got was people shouting out my name with "yeah" or "come on" or "go."  In the loudest areas I'd hear my name, look at the people and give them a thumbs or or a smile and they'd shout even louder.  Nothing about time or anything that could be in any way a negative or potentially discouraging.  Due to the wave start, they have no idea what your potential time is and they probably don't care. 

I think this is just personality differences. Smile  If I'm having a bad day, I really don't want to be cheered on by name.  I understand that people don't know that I'm having a bad day or what my goal was.  It's just that I would prefer to be lost in the crowd and anonymous at that point (or confused with someone else)

I can see how others might still appreciate the cheers and take them in the proper spirit.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I think this is just personality differences. Smile  If I'm having a bad day, I really don't want to be cheered on by name.  I understand that people don't know that I'm having a bad day or what my goal was.  It's just that I would prefer to be lost in the crowd and anonymous at that point (or confused with someone else)

I think I get that. 

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

I didn't get in.

EDIT: I'm in the general lottery now. March 28.

Sorry.  But good luck!

For non-NYRR time qualifiers, they ended up taking the fastest 19% of each age/gender group. A pretty exclusive group, considering they were already some challenging time standards. But I guess that’s a reasonable enough way to do the selection. It did make for some very large differences in cutoffs between age groups.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sorry.  But good luck!

For non-NYRR time qualifiers, they ended up taking the fastest 19% of each age/gender group. A pretty exclusive group, considering they were already some challenging time standards. But I guess that’s a reasonable enough way to do the selection. It did make for some very large differences in cutoffs between age groups.

I think 9,000 slots for time qualifiers, and ending the half marathon entry times was the biggest impact. My friend didn’t get in with a 2:53:58 in the 40-44 age group. It is what it is and I can move on with life wondering if I have a chance at the general lottery. It was cool to think we’d all meet up.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I think 9,000 slots for time qualifiers, and ending the half marathon entry times was the biggest impact. My friend didn’t get in with a 2:53:58 in the 40-44 age group. It is what it is and I can move on with life wondering if I have a chance at the general lottery. It was cool to think we’d all meet up.

Based on this one I have entered the lottery earlier this week.

See you all in New York this year!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

I didn't get in with a 1:15 half wirh converts to a 2:38 for the 40-45 range. Can't believe i didn't get in. It would be top 10 most years in the age group. No idea how i was not in the top 19% for my age range.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

I didn't get in with a 1:15 half wirh converts to a 2:38 for the 40-45 range. Can't believe i didn't get in. It would be top 10 most years in the age group. No idea how i was not in the top 19% for my age range.

that's truly crazy, sorry to hear.

did you enter the lottery, just in case?

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Yeah, they automatically added me to the lottery.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

DavePNW

You got completely screwed. Their system was f’ed up in general, but your 1:15 getting rejected looks like an egregious error. Of course NYCM is not sharing any info, but a guy on FB collected data for non-NYRR time qualifiers and put together the below chart. He had something like 225 data points, so not enough to get you an exact cutoff, but enough to give you a general idea. “Last in” means the slowest time that was accepted; “first out” means the fastest time rejected. This indicates that someone in M40-44 got in with a 4:27 buffer vs 1:25 half qual time, where you had a 10 min buffer. If I were you, I would send a message to NYCM and ask “are you sure??” But I doubt they’ll do anything. 

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

There were men with a 2:45. This explains it. Beat your marathon by 13 minutes so you can get in.

The Female 40-44 with a 3:26 qualifier had to run a 3:06 or faster to actually get in.

"NYC Minus 20" if you want to get in, unless you are a Baby Boomer.

I'm really looking forward to them updating their qualification standards. If runners ran standardized tests for the LSAT we'd have less lawyers. "You're score was good enough to say you passed the LSAT, but not good enough to actually become a lawyer in our state."

EDIT: When an organization refuses to release the details on how they selected their members it's time to question their honesty.

Then again, I wouldn't want to be part of any group who would all me to me a member. 

You got completely screwed. Their system was f’ed up in general, but your 1:15 getting rejected looks like an egregious error. Of course NYCM is not sharing any info, but a guy on FB collected data for non-NYRR time qualifiers and put together the below chart. He had something like 225 data points, so not enough to get you an exact cutoff, but enough to give you a general idea.

“Last in” means the slowest time that was accepted;

“first out” means the fastest time rejected.

This indicates that someone in M40-44 got in with a 4:27 buffer vs 1:25 half qual time, where you had a 10 min buffer. If I were you, I would send a message to NYCM and ask “are you sure??” But I doubt they’ll do anything. 

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

DavePNW

Their main area of screwup in a more general sense was making it much easier to get in with a half. It wasn’t so much in the qualifying standards. For me (M55-59), it’s 1:36/3:23. That half time is easier for me, but really those two times are equivalent, based either on AG% or McMillan predictor. For most people it’s tougher to run a supposedly “equivalent” marathon time. But piling on to that, their 10k equivalent calculation makes it mathematically easier for a half. Converting a 1:36 half gives you 43:12; a 3:23 full gives you 44:40. So the half qualifying standard is by definition faster. Makes no sense. 

I had a 1:29 half, which based on AG%/McMillan correlates to about 3:08; based on their 10k equivalent calculation, it’s 3:02. So my 7 min half buffer should have been like a 15 min full buffer; instead I’d need a 21 min full buffer. 

Incidentally my time was “last in” on that chart. I am a little embarrassed that I got in when people with far more impressive qualifying times did not. But I’ll run it anyway!

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

DP - someone must have made an error, you should have cruised in.

Looks like I needed a 1:22:30, and submitted a 1:26:48, so a long way off.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DPS - I'm pretty shocked too. The only way to verify it is if you hear someone else got in with a slower time in that group. If that's the case, maybe there was an issue with your submission like they couldn't verify it or something? I also have heard horror stories in the past about credit card issues.

I could see the cut off being something like a 248 or men in their 40s. Maybe low 240s if somehow it was a strong year. Your time doesn't make sense.

I wonder if they'll release the true data at some point

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

If I were you, I would send a message to NYCM and ask “are you sure??”

I agree this is worth a try.  I've been able to resolve issues with NYRR in the past, though nothing quite rising to this level.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

I wonder if they'll release the true data at some point

I wish they would, but I have a feeling they won't. Probably more potential downside for them than upside.

Dave