2024 Advanced Training and Racing Thread (still competitive jerks) (Read 228 times)

Fishyone

Andy nails a PR in the half too and Dave  with the podium finish!!  I was feeling a bit of training boredom but these results are getting me STOKED to run a race soon.

Steve- Once you get past this bug and get into training and racing you are absolutely primed to follow...

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave: I forget whether you've run Boston before and are familiar with the hills.  If you've done your hill work, they aren't that bad.

Thanks for the info - I have run it before, and I'm not terribly worried about the climbs.  I have some very specific gait/balance issues that are provoked by trying to run downhill fast (even gentle downhills), so my hill work is focused on that, rather than the climbs.

darkwave I'm tempted to use your long run spot where the By George races were next weekend if my car gets fixed in time. Am I allowed to park in the same lot?

Yup, you can park there or in the lot off of Buckeye drive by the tennis center.  The latter claims to require one to pay to park there, but I don't, and I've never seen anybody ticketed there.

BTW, be sure to check this site before heading there to see if it might be flooded.  If it's just flooded at one spot, you can work around it like I did last weekend.  But there are (rare) times when the entire lower end will be covered by the Potomac.

CK - really nice MP workout!

Flavio - your adoring fans demand a race report.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Not an 80%er

RP - Maybe never ? I ran the perfect marathon, I have very little incentive to ever run another again. That is of course subject to change in the future.

Dave - Yeah, I mostly meant non runners.

Fishy - I did my best to follow your guidance in terms of stealthy good performances 😁

Thanks everybody again for the congratulations, this was a very hard earned victory. I was fighting for a good marathon for 14 years, and I was fighting for a sub 3 marathon for the last 3 years.

I know this was a bit stealthy and that was by design. I wanted to run my hardest race ever with as little pressure as possible, so this time I told nobody about it. I disabled the heart rate sensor in my watch and I also disabled the auto lap. No numbers, just run.

Bienwald marathon race report

TL;DR;

Date: 2024-03-10

Time: 2:58:42

Place: Kandel / Germany

Shoes: Altra Torin 5

Gels: 1 non-caf Maurten around km 16 / mile 10

Chapter 1 - The history

It's fair to say I'm not a natural when it comes to marathons. Before this race I sat with a record of 0x5 against marathons.

I ran my first marathon 14 years ago. That's how long I wanted to tame this beast.

The thought of running a sub 3 marathon appeared about 3 years ago. In early 2021 I ran a 1h22 half marathon time trial, and at the time in the wake of that big PR I got enough courage to try the marathon again after a 5 year hiatus. 

Training was going well, but we started travelling and the pandemic restrictions were causing a lot of stress, and there were many disruptions to training.

The race almost went well but I hit the wall at km 37 with massive cramps on both quads.

Then after the race covid hit me with the 7 day adventure package and it took me months to recover fitness.

It wasn't until early 2023 when I finally managed to run 10k and 5k PRs, then I once again gathered the courage to run another marathon.

It was to be the Valencia marathon in December.

Training went well and while base building I managed to run every street in the city of Porto.

Covid was not playing nice though, I had to DNS a 5k race in August due to 3 days of misery, then it once again affected me after the half marathon tune up race in early October. I was running 7 minute km pace (nearly 12 minute per mile pace)  in that week after the race.

About 2 or 3 weeks before the marathon race, something that in hindsight can be described as long covid symptoms hit me. I simply lost maybe 7-8% of fitness overnight.

One week I was running 4x15 at 4 minutes per k very easy, the next week running 6km at 4:15 was very, very hard.

The race went really bad with me struggling to maintain the pace as early as km 4, suffering aerobically by km 16, then having to drop the pace at the half way mark, and then nearly passing out at km 34 due to chest tightness and breathing really, really hard.

It was a long walk / run from there to the finish line, feeling like the ultimate loser of that day while literally thousands of people passed me.

The one bright side about that day was that I had no cramps at all which I credit entirely to my disciplined regimen of strength training.

After Valencia I've decided that I would take one day at a time and see how my fitness evolved, then when I found myself fit again, I'd choose a marathon and race it.

Chapter 2 - The training

I checked the online marathon calendars thoroughly and found good options (flat / cold weather) pretty much from as early as Feb 18th all the way to the end of April. 

I didn't want to go through an extended period of training though, so the ones from late February to early March were preferred.

I saw this race in Kandel, in Germany, called the Bienwald Marathon. Time wise it would work well, there was a half race on the same day (for my wife). And the training block would be short.

I thought to myself that I needed less training, not more.

I picked up a Hansons schedule that I had stored years ago that goes from 60 miles per week to 80 miles per week at peak. I knew I would not be able to run 80 miles per week, but wanted to use that structure.

I used a little bit of that structure for my training.

Shorter days or days off on Wednesday, big workout on Thursday, long run on Sunday.

The schedule also called for another workout on Tuesday but I quickly realized that was not feasible, so Tuesdays would be either an easy day or a time trial at the track.

I wanted to execute 3 things:

• Work my way up again to a 2h40 long run
        • Complete 10 miles at marathon pace and finish it comfortably
        • Improve my times in the time trials

I managed all 3. Somewhere between January 11th and January 30th those long covid symptoms/ whatever it was that was holding me back aerobically disappeared, and I was able to run 10:40 for 3000m which is very close to my peak fitness.

At that point I knew I was in good shape aerobically.

Chapter 3 - The race

We travelled to Karlsruhe in Germany on Wednesday. It's a lovely city, I'm told it's got a big engineering vibe and it shows, the city is spotless, clean, beautiful and well preserved.

It's a stark contrast to Köeln which is a city for the artists and bohemians, which is dirty and smells like piss.

We didn't want to take chances with food, so we stuck to eating our meals at the local Dean & David branches, which offer a good selection of healthy wraps and sandwiches.

We did check out Pinsa Sì, a place for pinsas the night before the race. Pinsa is very similar to a pizza, but the dough is lighter. Just as delicious. The waiter spoke Italian, which was the cherry on top!

Kandel is only a 17 minute train ride again. A very small town of only 2800 people.

The air quality was very good, which is good news to my allergic self.

There's a sports pavilion where the expo happened and which is in front of the start lines.

So people can stay warm inside until it's time to go to the starting block. That was brilliant!

I had recently disabled the heart race sensor in my watch, because it would often confuse itself with my cadence. 

Then I disabled the auto lap, cause I don't really need to know how every km went.

For the race, I had a view with total elapsed time, Lap pace and lap time.

I never pressed the lap button. So whatever was there as the average lap time, it needed to stay under 4:15 for me to run sub 3. That's all I cared.

At the start, I positioned myself just behind the 2 sub 3 hour pacers. There were pacers for the half and the marathon in 15 minute increments, I found that to be fantastic news for such a small event (500 finishers in the marathon , 1500 in the half).

The first few kms out of Kandel are a bit crowdy as the half marathon starts together. That's alright though and I'm mostly staying relaxed and trying to avoid hitting anymore.

This goes on until about km 10.5 where the half marathons turn around but we the marathons carry on forward. 

The group has now trimmed quite a bit to maybe 8-10 people, including the lead female runner.

I find it quite interesting that she was breathing hard as early as km 16, yet she managed to stick with the group and finished in sub 3 hours. She's also in the 45+ age group, well done Lady!

Another rememberable member of that running pack was someone I'm gonna call Mr Stinky. 

Mr Stinky had a strong smell, like he didn't shower for 3 days.

The problem was that he was within the pack and I could smell him either ahead of behind or by my side. But running with the pack was kind of important so I stuck there heh.

The kms tick by and I"m feeling okay. Running with the pack with the 2 paces in front means I don't have to worry much about anything, just put one foot in front of another and patiently wait.

Because the boredom of the marathon is real.

I'd qualify running the perfect marathon is similar to being in the waiting room for a painful medical procedure. And the doctor is late.

So you wait, and wait, and yawn, wait, yawn, then by the end it's your time and it hurts a little, but then the procedure is over and you're just happy you're not hurting anymore LOL

Anyway, at around km 21 we turn to the right side and I can see the 31K mark on the other side of the road. I just think to myself I need to count down to 31K, and then 32K is just next, and then there's only the other half of this race, the last 10km to go.

And that's exactly what I did. Waiting and waiting and waiting. Yawn, some more waiting.

I was still feeling okay at 33 km. Most of the time during that long wait I was just working to clear my mind of negative thoughts. 

I kept repeating "Just sit back, relax, and follow the group".

By the way, a sub 3 hours marathon means 4:15 per km.

4:15 per km means 17 minutes every 4 km. 4.25 * 2 = 8.5 * 2 = 17

From about km 20 I realized it was silly to keep checking my watch at every km, so I just checked every 4km. That worked well until about km 33, then I started checking it every km as I did my countdown to home LOL.

At around km 36 the group dispersed a bit at an aid station, one pacer kept with the front of the group which was me + other 2 guys, the other pacer stayed a bit behind with the lead female and the rest of the group.

This is where I started to suffer just a bit, and by km 38 the suffering was more intense.

I kept repeating to myself "I forbid you to slow down now!"

Then my group lost a guy, then another, then by km 39 it was only me and the pacer running side by side.

And he was breathing quite hard, definitely harder than me.

At around km 40 there was this other guy in a black t-shirt maybe 5m ahead.

I put in a very short surge to get closer to him and started following him instead, the pacer was left behind a bit, and now runner less, with his duty accomplished, he went back to help the other group. What a legend!

Anyway, with 2km to go I started to think it was going to happen. I just worked hard to keep concentration, keep the pace. 

I passed a guy in black near the entrance to the stadium.

I then noticed that Mr Stinky was just up ahead, I had not noticed that he had surged ahead. 

Anyway the race finishes with running about 300m in an athletics track. I entered the track in hot pursuit of Mr Stinky and then put in a surge to pass him. Later I'd see that I sped up to mile pace to pass him, holy shit to think I had that kind of speed that late in the race.

I easily passed by him with thoughts of sprinting to the finish line and having the best marathon time possible.

But then I thought fuck that, I don't want to look like a fish out of water, I want to savour this moment as best as I can, so I slowed down a little and just made sure Mr Stinky couldn't pass me, then did the traditional "show me your biceps" gesture and crossed the finish line.

Then nearly ran over a volunteer who was blocking the way.

Then ran a few meters ahead, remembered to turn off the watch.

And then I finally understood what happens to some people at the end of races.

I got overcome with emotions and cried like a child. This was a dream I was chasing for 14 years. 3 years if you could the specific sub 3 dream. Every time being denied by sickness and cramps. I found my wife and cried for about a minute on her shoulder.

Then gathered myself and found the pacers to thank them profusely.

Then stuffed myself with all the coke, tea, gatorade, water and bananas I could take.

Chapter 4 - The future

With this result I have finally freed my mind from the marathon. The execution was near perfect. I'm not sure I could ever replicate this again with the marathon.

I have very little incentive to go again unless I somehow manage to find a fitness breakthrough.

I'm not ruling out another marathon though mostly because you never say never.

Up next I'd like to run the Porto Eco Trail and finish the damn thing (Last year I was a DNF due to a near heat stroke).

And then there are multiple other things that I'd like to do:

Race an 800m race (never done that before), maybe I can go sub 2:20 or even sub 2:15

Race a 1500m race and take a shot at my PR (4:54)

Chase my 10K PR which is quite soft compared to the rest

Learn how to run in minimalist shoes for short easy runs

Take running less seriously

Break lifting PRs (106kg/234lb in the barbell squat, 130kg/287lb in the deadlift)

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials)

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Not an 80%er

The glorious finish line!

Bienwald Marathon finish

Fishyone

Thank you Flavio! You just made my morning coffee a bit of JOY!  I plan to re-read leter today when I need a pick-me-up before my lunch run.  It's bittersweet to hear you're going to be focusing on other distances but I completely understand the sentiment, especially this close after a race like this.  There is absolutely NOTHING like the feeling of knowing that yoou are going to get your goal time and feeling like there is still a tiny bit more in the tank!

Your decision to "just run" and not obsess about all of the little things was spot-on and illustrates that in some ways it is a simple sport....run through the discomfort, dig deep, and persevere!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

flavio: "I'd qualify running the perfect marathon is similar to being in the waiting room for a painful medical procedure. And the doctor is late.

So you wait, and wait, and yawn, wait, yawn, then by the end it's your time and it hurts a little, but then the procedure is over and you're just happy you're not hurting anymore."

I love your description of the marathon. Now think what an ultra feels like.

A huge congratultions!  I think those future goals look very feasible. If you think you can run sub-2:20 for 800m, your 1500m PB may be soft as well. Best of luck in pursuing those.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                    06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Flavio—incredible race, and gripping report! Thanks for sharing the whole story. I can see why you got so emotional. I can also see why you would consider yourself done with the marathon. That’s what a smart person would do. You accomplished your goal, no point in putting yourself through the kind of mileage and time commitment you need to train properly, for the unpredictable and infrequent possibility of success. For many of us it’s just an unhealthy addiction, a drug we can’t stay away from. When the reward does come, it’s so satisfying.

“I forbid you to slow down!” THAT is legend. Your legs know what to do, your brain needs to be trained.

Watch: You set it to display total elapsed time, Lap pace and lap time. You turned off auto-lap on your watch, so the whole race was treated as one big lap, correct? So what’s the difference in total time and lap time? I am very different—I do like to see how I’m doing each mile (maybe if I was doing 40 of them instead of 26, I’d feel differently). My theory is to treat each mile somewhat separately—target goal pace for each, but if I’m off for some reason, don’t let that affect the next one. If I can generally keep each mile on pace, things will turn out OK. It’s smarter doing it your way, looking at your average pace for the whole race—you get a better look at how you’re doing. I’ll have to think about trying that. I only display lap distance and lap pace, for 1-mile laps. Partly because total elapsed time doesn’t mean so much during a race—I’m usually not going to try to do math. And partly because the larger size of numbers in a 2-field display actually allows me to be able to read it.

Pacers: I usually don’t use them. I did at Chicago, for a few reasons: my goal happened to be a time that had pacers, I figured at a race like that I’d be able to trust them, and also that race is notorious for GPS signal going haywire in the early miles. For someone like me who’s a slave to my watch—it’s so freeing! No brainpower needed, just run. It’s great how it worked out so well for you. I will say, dropping back to help people isn’t necessarily doing their duty. Their job is to finish at (slightly under) their assigned time. Don’t adjust based on people with you that you see, because you don’t know who’s farther back that you don’t see, who may be trying to catch up to you. I can’t speak to the exact situation at this race, but I do quite a bit of pacing and that’s how we’re expected to handle it. Although when there are two, you might be able to manage something like that.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy - Brilliant race!  2 minutes is very significant for someone who has been doing this for a while.

I think the failure in the Half back in November when I popped something in my hamstring the day before really helped me get these results. I knew I was in PR shape back then and the failure of being forced to hold myself back gave me a lot of motivation over the next few months. The focus on strength work the past ~6 months has also helped but I know I can still do better in that area.

Here is my race report for the 2024 Germantown Half:

Pre-race: I had my alarm set for 4am and I normally wake up earlier than that on my own with excitement on race day. I woke up with the same feeling to realize it was 12:30am   I was never able to fall back asleep and attribute it to getting a few nights of excessive sleep earlier the week. I am normally operating with a bit of a sleep deficit so my sleep quality is very good when I am able to catch back up. This may be an example of how changing your routine due to taper can backfire on you.

I showed up at the race parking lot almost 90 minute early since I was bored from being up so early. No lines for the toilets and I was able to do lots of stretching and dynamic drills. I picked up my wife’s race shirt since she and the boys were working a water station. I got her a size large and since she has lost a good bit of weight the past year, she was very offended later that I didn’t get her a medium….

Start and first few miles: I lined up near the very front because I wanted to get in some of the pictures they post later since this is a very local race. I heard a few guys right behind me talking about how their next race is Boston so I knew I needed to move a few slots back. Gun goes off and I am not trying to keep up with the really fast runners but certainly not being conservative. My best PR’s for Half and shorter have all come when I have started out faster than I should. The goal for the day was 7:18 pace for most of the race and take whatever I had left in the last few miles.

I did settle into a fast but comfortable pace for the first two miles with splits of 7:13 and 7:22 while my legs woke up. After mile 2, a lady went past me which I was determined to use her as a pacer for the next few miles. After half a mile of following her, I really started to get into a good rhythm and was able to slingshot around her on a turn and never saw her again. I went through the 5k time check but I didn’t pay attention to the clock, which I later saw I was in 32nd place with a 7:13 pace.

Middle miles: We ran around the high school and went back on the same road to run past the slower runners for about a mile. I wasn’t intentionally trying to show off but it was somewhat motivating seeing all the slower runners. It also gave me a chance to wave to a few people I knew and several people said “great job coach!” because I was wearing my Dogwood XC shirt. Mile 5 was my fastest split at 6:45. The 6th mile was the only one with a consistent uphill and I was still not looking at my watch but ended up at 7:11, still faster than my overall pace.

The hill was over and I reached the 10k time check. Without looking at my watch the past 4 miles, I was shocked to see my 10k time was only 30 seconds off my 10k PR and the results later would confirm this. I was really amped up and going down the false flat hill, I could see my wife at kids at their water station. My 5yo, Hutton, was in charge of giving me an apple sauce pouch. I took a water cup from Nolan and when I went for the apple sauce, our hands collided and I dumped the water cup all over Hutton’s chest. I got the apple sauce though.

Miles 8-10 were actually pretty boring and had a very annoying headwind. I passed a couple runners during mile 8 and ended up in no-man’s land with no one to chase down as the next runner was a good 2 minutes ahead. I could feel myself losing a little intensity with no one to chase and the headwind but I came across the 15k time check with an overall pace of 7:08 per mile, so still well ahead of goal.

Late miles: For miles 11 & 12, my legs were starting to suffer, particularly my calves. I wanted to just hold on for dear life until I saw the sign for mile 12 and slowed to 7:23 pace for those two miles. The overall pace from my PR from a year ago was 7:24 so was still in good shape for my slowest miles of the day. A guy passed me going really fast and I tried to follow him but there was no chance of keeping up. He was more than 2 minutes behind me at the 10k time check so he had run extreme negative splitting.

Once I saw the sign for mile 12, it was a rejuvenation. I was able to get back to 7:09 pace and since I still had no one around me to race, I started racing the watch to see if I could get any faster. My legs had nothing left to give so I stayed on that ~7:09 pace but a bonus was that I felt fine from a cardio standpoint. Once I passed the mile 13 sign, I was able to give it one last surge with the finish line in sight. I got out my phone as I was approaching the finish to take a selfie with the clock right behind me with 1:34:XX but my face in that picture looked horrible after going 105% for so many miles. 29th place overall but still in 7th for 35-39 males.

Overall, this was certainly the race of my life given how surprised I was to be going so fast for the first ~10 miles and could have also set a big PR in the 10k too. My cardio endurance is in a great place and even though my legs/calves started suffering in the late miles, I had no pain at all in my Piriformis. I am targeting a big 5k PR in 6 weeks and will be focusing a lot on strengthening my calves and hamstrings in preparation. My Garmin now predicts I can run a Half in 1:41:36 even though it just witnessed me break 1:35...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Mr.Stinky LOL. Thank god you got him. Congrats Flavio, as always a very nice race report from a forum legend.

I can however tell you why you didn't break it earlier. It is just not possible to run 42km with only one gel. That is crazy, you didn't fuel properly. Impossible if you don't add carbs and salt, how do you think your Italian body is able to do it? It's impossible. You are the only person I know, managing to run sub 3 basically on empty....

Congrats. You could do much more. Should enlist for London, Berlin, NYC, Boston now. Don't wait, just do it.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I can however tell you why you didn't break it earlier. It is just not possible to run 42km with only one gel. That is crazy, you didn't fuel properly. Impossible if you don't add carbs and salt, how do you think your Italian body is able to do it? It's impossible. You are the only person I know, managing to run sub 3 basically on empty....

I've run 3 sub-3:00 marathons with no calorie intake as well as a 3:00:59 and a 3:01:48. That was fairly typical 40-50 years ago before gels were invented.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                            06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mr MattM

I've run 3 sub-3:00 marathons with no calorie intake as well as a 3:00:59 and a 3:01:48. That was fairly typical 40-50 years ago before gels were invented.

Agreed.  My only sub3 was with one gel just past mile 18 that was being handed out at the race (and I think I'd have done it even without that gel).  I ran a handful of sub-3:10s with nothing but water on the course.

Great report, Flavio!  You crushed sub3 by over a minute!  Well-executed race...

be curious; not judgmental

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Very enjoyable report.  I had a similar feeling of inner peace after my half in September even though it's the marathon that's been my main goal for 3 years.  It just felt like a result on the board that finally backs up all the training.

You didn't mention the weather on the day, so I assume it was perfect?  Looks great in the photo.

There seems to be a Mr Stinky in every race, and not just late in the race.  Maybe some people just don't shower?

I wouldn't plan anything for a few weeks, just bask in the glory.

JMac - Hope you're doing well and maybe making some progress.  I'm definitely inspired by this result, just need to get healthy again.

Andy - Good report too.  I feel like you've got more in the tank based on how you described it.  It sounds like you paced it very well, and smartly backed off late for a mile or 2 to avoid a fade or crash.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Andy - great stuff and a big endorsement of the work you've put in over the past while.

Flavio - nailed it. It sounds like you hit point of marathon suffering relatively late so I guess you judged the race really well.  Surging past Mr. Stinky must've been immensely satisfying.

Gotta say, I've been fortunate never to have a Mr. Stinky in any of my races (unless of course I was that guy... I hope not). Sounds horrible.  But admittedly I have a very limited sense of smell, which helps.

Also, you are welcome to join the marathon retirement club. It's quite good.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Did you ever wonder what you could have done with optimized fueling? Everyone os different I get that but why does Eliot Kipchoge and the rest of the elite take in  up to16 gels? That and the carbon plated shoes have on all levels made people faster and its not even debatableWink mind you I took 5 gels and still only managed 3:53 so my conviction comes from podcasts only (disclaimer)

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

flavio80

Not an 80%er

Fishy - Thanks, yeah, I was definitely overthinking a lot of things, in part because I kept being denied.

WCRunner - Thanks, yeah I have this feeling I might be able to break 2:20. I've run 65 seconds for 400, though to be fair that was 4 years ago.

Dave - Yeah, I just got lazy to configure the watch face, lap time was the same as total elapsed time.
                                Re: the pacers I guess I misspoke. That pacer didn't drop back to help people, it's more that at the aid station people had to make a single line so they could grab the cups (the cups were laid on a table, there were no volunteers handing them out), so naturally some people were further ahead and some a few meters behind.
                                It just turned out that after that aid station there was a small gap between the pacers and it kept like that going forward.
                                The pacers did cross the finish line in 2:59:37, so they did quite well I'd think.
                                Fun fact: One of the pacers had to stop by the side of the road to take a leak, but he easily managed to catch up to us within about 3km, what a beast (he's got a 2:30 marathon in Berlin IIRC).

Andy - thanks for the race report, I agree with Steve that you definitely got a faster time in you.
                                The work you've been putting in is producing great results!

Mick - Awww I'm a forum legend LOL
                                Gels might be overrated, or at least people vary a lot in terms of how much glycogen they can store and how much carbohydrates gels help them.
                                Either way, on the preparation for Valencia I tried consuming gels during long runs and I'd always struggle a lot to take them down.
                                So this time knowing I'd have a hard time consuming them, I just put one in my back pocket, just because.
                                Oddly enough that one went down just fine.
                                I also consumed gulps of electrolytes and coca-cola a couple of times, I'm sure that helped.

Steve - Weather was absolutely perfect. 10 to 12c, dew point around 3 to 5c I guess, a bit cloudy, there was only a few short sections where the wind could maybe be a problem but nothing to write home about.
                                Re: Mr Stinky, I think it might also be not using the best practices when doing laundry, I know that happened to me in my early 20s.