Quad Cities Marathon 2011 (Read 1778 times)

bucketlist

Hello~not sure how this exactly works so I am just going to throw it all out there with hopes of getting some good advice!

I am not new to running, been running most of my life.  Competed when I was in school, but once out on my own I just ran for the heck of it.  I have decided that its time for me to knock something off my bucket-list, and I chose a marathon.  I am on a 16 week training program that seems to fit with my own expectations, but seriously its not the run that I am dreading its things like what my diet should be like, what the hay-barn do you wear when you run that long, do you eat while you run, what about drink?  I have the bladder of a gerbil and find that if I don't go right before I run and right afterward, I am not at all comfortable.  My longest run to date is 7 mi and I did not want for any water before or during and felt fine.  This weekend is my 8mi, so I guess we will see.  I am open to suggestions and all will be considered unless way beyond crazy!  I really want to do this, just a wee bit terrified of the unknown!

I would love to find someone who is familiar with race I am referring to, so that I can get a better idea of what to expect.

bl

Slo

Hi bucketlist

I'll be doing the Quad City Marathon if my work schedule permits. I'll be pacing a freind.

It's a small well organized marathon. The final 6 miles gets a little sparse on the crowd support but the bridge crossings are pretty cool and the finish area is always well packed.

Where are you at ? You can drop me a PM if you'd like.

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, bucketlist! glad to see you posted your Qs here. lots of great folks on this board to help you out, just like i promised you. keep reading, posting, and checking in here and you'll be ready to shine at quad cities!

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

jpdeaux

BL, best of luck on the journey to your goal. It's all about the journey. Sorry I can't offer Quad Cities info.

My best running friends are: good diet, BodyGlide, comfy shoes, public restrooms (or dense foliage), and water fountains. (Oh, and 3M micropore tape.)

I don't often eat while I run, unless it's seriously long. I'll carry Gu or cash if I'm away much longer than 2 hours or so. If I loop I'll stop back home for a (low-fiber Wink) sandwich. I no longer carry water since the water fountains are turned back on for the Summer. I also don't try to "make up" calories by adding extra food later. I do try to eat "good" (nutrient-rich) food and let that take care of my energy needs. For me, it's not a disaster to be a little hungry or thirsty on a run. Or even later. Things work out.

I wear what's comfortable. Enhance comfort with BodyGlide, or an alternative, wherever chafing occurs. No need to go overboard buying stuff, just run in it and see if it works. You're gradually increasing your miles, so just watch for discomfort. Eight miles is not that different from seven miles. Twenty won't be that different from eighteen, once you get there.

Keep us posted.

MoeDog

I ran Quad Cities last year and had fun.  No complaints about the organization, aid stations, port-a-potties, etc.  There are a few hills and the bridges are steeper than you might expect, so get in some runs on rolling terrain if you can.  A common complaint about this race is that you get near the finish line around mile 23 or so but then have to run a straight out and back along a seemingly endless row of traffic cones to finish.  That was a little tough, but hey, it's a marathon - it's supposed to be hard.  Do what the others suggest here and you'll be fine.  You can also look the race up on marathonguide.com and you'll find a ton of runners' comments and advice.  Good luck, and have fun!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

I've not done the QC Marathon, but have done the Half twice (and signed up for the this year, too) and I recommend. I wouldn't call it flat since you have some hills in the first few miles as well as ups/downs on bridges but that has already been mentioned here. Nice race.

TRUST THE PROCESS

bucketlist

Thank you all for the advice!  I am still hunting down the right gear (have shoes!) its the top and bottoms that I am finding issues with as my distances get longer.  any thoughts?  the eating part still a pain.  bl

"run" "2" "eat"

hey, bl -- maybe you can be a bit more specific on your clothing questions. i mean, not to get too personal, but what do you wear now and what have you tried that did or didn't work? mostly, you'll hear that you should wear what's comfortable, but if you'd like people to just throw some ideas around for you to consider, i'm sure they'll oblige. do you want some ideas about the latest fabrics? maybe you just want general feedback on what people have tried that worked?

for the food questions, maybe try the nutrition forum. i think you're worried you are not eating enough to support your mileage, and that you want some advice on how to get enough fuel intake to continue to increase your running. go ahead and post your questions about food in the other forum. i'm sure folks will have some good ideas about how to keep yourself going for the long runs.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

I'd use your long runs to test out all the para-running stuff (clothes, eating, drinking).

If you're the type to pee a lot: Drink a bunch of water or sports drink few hours before your long run. Try to void - I was told this is the polite way to say "piss it all out" - before your run.

On the run, practice taking sips just big enough to make the thirst go away.  If you can avoid standing on line for the port-a-john, it's to your advantage.

And have a good time. Looking forward to your result. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Well any friend of R2E is automatically suspect but anyway...

Be careful with marathons--I ran one to check it off my bucket list once and it took me 11 years and a dozen more marathons to finally quit the things.  Well, at least I hope I've quit them...one day at a time as they say.

As long as you're eating a balanced diet and not avoiding carbs you shouldn't have to make any major adjustments.  You may find as you build mileage you are hungrier and you need to snack more.  I find when I'm running higher mileage, my body tends to tell me what it needs.

When it comes to hydration, just drink to thirst.  You probably will not need to worry about water on any run under about 90 minutes, or even longer in cool weather.  I don't carry water either, in the warm months I just plan my routes to pass water fountains if I'm going to be out there a a while, and I accept the fact that I'll finish somewhat dehydrated.

For clothing you kind of need to find what works for you.  In general go with lightweight, technical fabrics.  You shouldn't have to spend much.

Fear of the unknown is natural but as jpdeaux said it's a gradual process.  Right now the thought of a 16 mile run probably seems a bit scary but after you've run 18 and 20 and you back down to "only" 16 it will feel like no big deal.  I can't help with quad cities, never ran that one. Good luck.

Runners run

For clothing you kind of need to find what works for you.  In general go with lightweight, technical fabrics.  You shouldn't have to spend much.

The C9 series by Target is well-attested on this site. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

jpdeaux

The C9 series by Target is well-attested on this site. 

Ooh. I'll have to check that out. I need new shorts.

Slo

How's the training going bucketlist?

Mine not so well. This High Heat and Humidity just sucks it right out you. Combined with my work schedule, RAGBRAI training, and nursing what I hope isn't a running injury has kept me from hitting my mileage goals...but these are all excuses.

If your near the QC Area we are holding a Half Marathon / 10k and 5k in Clinton Iowa on 9/10/11. The Half and 10k will be good race training opportunities for the QC Marathon and Half.  Website here.  It's far from complete. Hopefully within the next few days more info will be put up. There is a link to the Get Me Registered.

Good Luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's a well run marathon.

I think everyone else has given the good advice, so I can't really add much.  I'd definitely use some long runs as mock marathons, testing out nutrition, shoes, clothing, hydration etc.

I've never trained for a marathon (and in turn, never run a marathon), but I'd agree that building mileage, or intensity, may lead to a need to snack more or a change in your appetite.  I don't eat or drink on my runs, or eat breakfast before most of my runs, but, I carry some money on long runs when it's hot in case I need a drink.  I also find that because I don't nourish before or during, that I psychologically need to feel nourished when I go to bed the night before anything that might involve effort.  So I leave some of my snacking until later in the day on those days.

In terms of clothing, lightweight techinical stuff as Mikey said.  Here I'd also have a few long runs in things to see if you get any areas that chafe.  My running shorts can often cause chafing (I think caused by the seam of the waistband) and leave me with a really sore back, and some singlet style tops can rub around the underarm.  I still wear those shorts, but not for long runs.  Running bras can also be prone to rub, especially as they age, so keep an eye out for that kind of thing, and find one that suits you.  Bodyglide, lanacane chafing gel and other things like that can help out too.

And definitely "try to void" before running. 

Good luck, and sorry I couldn't add anything to what has already been some great advice.

Enjoy the running and your journey to the marathon.  Again, the notion that it's a gradual process is really important.  If you take things run by run, week by week, you'll be able to turn around and realise just how far you've come. 

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

L Train

Ooh. I'll have to check that out. I need new shorts.

You should stop peeing in yours and they would last longer.