Downhill race training tip (Read 90 times)

Wing

Joggaholic

I will be running a HM road race in Oct, it will be mainly downhill:

Does anyone have any training tips for racing downhill? My main worry is my knees and quads and what-not giving out on me and tumbling down the course. I don't have hills nearby to train on, so last night I propped up the back of my treadmill to get myself used to running down hill. What is the best way to use the TM for this purpose? (how fast/slow/far?) Does uphill training on the TM help or not? What other bodyweight exercises should I be doing?

Thanks!

From a recent race I ran, I can tell you that you are in for a world of hurt  the last 3 miles and for a couple of days after the race.  Anything to strengthen calves and quads may be helpful.

Do you have a school that has bleachers?  Running down them or any steps will help.  Absolutely work your quads as they'll take all the pounding.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Stairs won't help. On stairs your feet are flat.

Best at thing to do, as usual, is to train on conditions that are like the goal race. Find some hills and run down them. Best way to run down hills is to lean forward and work to prevent over striding.

BeeRunB

Uphill training on the TM helps with the uphill muscles, but not with the down. I go through long periods of training on the TM, and once I start up outside again, my quads will hurt for a few days to a week from the downhills. Some TM's have a downhill incline function, and some people prop up their TM's a bit like you to create a downhill, if they don't have a local downhill (perhaps you live in the middle of Kansas or Florida). Make sure the TM can't fall off of it's prop.  I have read that some people in such areas will use a parking garage.

I'd think running a treadmill with the back end propped up might be your best bet... since you live in a flat area.

Initially, try alternating 1/2 mile downhill, then flat for 1/2 mile for the duration of your run. To get to flat, use a level before hand to know what incline you need to be flat. Do this a 2 or 3 times/week.

Each time increase the distance running downhill.

I used a propped up TM when training for a race that had significant downhills a few years ago and the downhills were a non-issue.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Rollerblades.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do