Racing Weight (Read 259 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Just started reading Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight. Wondering if anyone follows his principals and if it has worked well for you. Thanks!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

I really like his book and it has worked for me to help revamp my diet and shed some lbs I don't need.  Give it a try.

Just started reading Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight. Wondering if anyone follows his principals and if it has worked well for you. Thanks!

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I really like his book and it has worked for me to help revamp my diet and shed some lbs I don't need.  Give it a try.

I like your username. I run in skirts too Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Joann Y

I do not run in skirts and would not be caught dead wearing anything with sparkles.

But I have read a good portion of this book. I think that his ideas are sound. The nutrition advice is sound. What makes it appealing is finding out what your racing weight and body fat percentage "should be". Atlhough this information can be found elsewhere (i.e. the internet), I think the sports nutrition information can be helpful for the uninitiated or for those wanting to go over it again. And I like knowing those numbers, knowing I'm only 7 lbs from racing weight. (however arbitrary this number may be.) And I did buy a body fat scale after reading this book. Maybe not absolutely accurate but it is consistent, so you can see how body fat % is trending. Not for everyone and I definitely would take the information the scale gives you with a grain of salt. I guess I haven't really followed his "plan" but I guess that's because I keep pretty loose reins on myself and would never be strict about it. I've only got so much mental energy and just getting out there to run is enough for me right now. I have kept this booked tucked away in my mind though, as a tool that I can pull out later and use when I'm mentally prepared to follow through, maybe for a specific race. Overall, I think it's worth a read.

gone2run

I like the running skirts.  They are cute. :-)

Joann Y

I could not, would not, in a race.
              I will not, will not, at any pace.
              I will not wear them in the rain.
              I will not wear them in any lane.
              Not in the dark! Not in a park!
              Not on a lark! You let me be!

I do not like them in a box.
              I do not like them with sparkly socks.
              I will not wear them at any time.
              I even don't like this stupid rhyme.
              I do not like them here or there.
              I do not like them anywhere.
              I do not like running skirts, it's not my jam!
              I do not like them, Sam-I-am.

Birdwell

I do not run in skirts and would not be caught dead wearing anything with sparkles.

But I have read a good portion of this book. I think that his ideas are sound. The nutrition advice is sound. What makes it appealing is finding out what your racing weight and body fat percentage "should be". Atlhough this information can be found elsewhere (i.e. the internet), I think the sports nutrition information can be helpful for the uninitiated or for those wanting to go over it again. And I like knowing those numbers, knowing I'm only 7 lbs from racing weight. (however arbitrary this number may be.) And I did buy a body fat scale after reading this book. Maybe not absolutely accurate but it is consistent, so you can see how body fat % is trending. Not for everyone and I definitely would take the information the scale gives you with a grain of salt. I guess I haven't really followed his "plan" but I guess that's because I keep pretty loose reins on myself and would never be strict about it. I've only got so much mental energy and just getting out there to run is enough for me right now. I have kept this booked tucked away in my mind though, as a tool that I can pull out later and use when I'm mentally prepared to follow through, maybe for a specific race. Overall, I think it's worth a read.

+1

Great explanation.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

+1.  Great explanation.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

What about a nuu-muu?

Liz

pace sera, sera

bhearn

Skirt, check; sparkles, check.

Joann Y

of course you would bhearn. i've seen your profile picture. if that's really you and not some guy pretending to be bhearn. are you a figment? is there a sparkly thong under that tutu? these are the questions of the times.

don't know what a nuu-muu is and I'm pretty sure I don't want to know.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've been eyeballing this one, as well as his other one, The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "The Wall." (boy, that one sure doesn't roll of the tongue as easy as the first one).

Anyone have any insight as to the differences between the two?

...and I already have a body fat percentage scale.  This morning, it said I had 6% body fat.  HA!

HA! HA!

Grain of salt, indeed.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

bluerun

Super B****

I've been eyeballing this one, as well as his other one, The New Rules of Marathon and Half-Marathon Nutrition: A Cutting-Edge Plan to Fuel Your Body Beyond "The Wall." (boy, that one sure doesn't roll of the tongue as easy as the first one).

Anyone have any insight as to the differences between the two?

...and I already have a body fat percentage scale.  This morning, it said I had 6% body fat.  HA!

HA! HA!

Grain of salt, indeed.

Since my library doesn't have Racing Weight in English (WTF?), and I try not to buy books because I have way too many as it is, I can't compare the two.  I did read the other, though.  The only thing I remember from either of them is what I've put into practice -- taking a gel about twenty minutes before a race.  But I do remember it being a good read.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog