Race Medals --- Why? (Read 690 times)

Fast is better than long

THIS!!!

It would be remiss at this point not to link medals 4 mettle, who recycle HM, marathon and tri medals and give to children and adults fighting severe illness or disability

http://www.medals4mettle.org/index.php

Don't just bin em, send them to a good cause.

I'm too bored to continue with the thread. But grab a medal and send it to these guys. It will make a kid smile, even if you didn't

2014 Goals: 2500 miles / sub 2 800m / 4:30 mile / sub 16:30 5K

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm the rest of the night;
    Set a man afire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.

What in the Jehu?

I'm too bored to continue with the thread. But grab a medal and send it to these guys. It will make a kid smile, even if you didn't

If sending my medals to them makes me smile, is that ... total protonic reversal?

“Everything you need is already inside.” -- Bill Bowerman

I've run several 5Ks a 5 miler and a 10K. The last 5K I placed 2nd overall and got first place in my age group and I still don't have any race medals! Big grin

I'm not complaining though, I got a prize bag with free stuff from each of the race sponsors and I'll get a medal in October when I finish my first HM.

Will run for scenery.

Or maybe they could make the finishers' medals out of chocolate.  Everybody wins:

Runner: don't want a momento ? Eat it!

RD : medals left over ? Eat them  ?

Kids who've never gotten a medal before ? Congratulations!  Now eat it !

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

I agree. What a waste! Too much metal consumed! Is it iron? Quite heavy.  Here the 5K guys get a medal as well. I don't need a shirt either. I don't think I would ever wear it, full of sponsor names and it is not that comfortable to wear it.

Maybe they should give a choice on the registration and produce less.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14)

Just thought I'd chime in to say if you don't want the medal, you don't have to take it.  You can politely say, "No, thank you" and keep walking.  I doubt the finish line volunteer will wrestle you to the ground and force you to wear it.  (Although, that mental image is funny).

Good point. Next time I won't take it and I hope they can reuse it for the next season. Sometimes they just change the design.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14)

Feeling the growl again

The medals for my race are made of 100% recycled materials.

My head hurts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

fittestover40

Because we live in a feel good about yourself society where mediocrity is the goal.

What's worse than a participation medal is a bad award.  The first Triathlon I did I won the Masters category and there was no award. When I asked the director he said they wanted the money to go to the charity.  At another Tri I finished 2nd place overall and received a Coffee cup that had the Tri name on it but didn't even say 2nd place and the 3rd place guy received the same thing.  And I don't even drink coffee.  I went home and gave it away.  I would hate to have  somebody come over the house and say hey nice medal what place did you get and you have to say something like 293rd, it's just a participation medal.

HobbyJogger & HobbyRacer

.. I would hate to have  somebody come over the house and say hey nice medal what place did you get and you have to say something like 293rd, it's just a participation medal.

Hey, I'd still be impressed, if it was for Hardrock or something.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

I have won just one AG award.  My award was a pair of running socks.  My wife was very underwhelmed:  "Socks?"  Well, at least it's something useful.

Feeling the growl again

I have won just one AG award.  My award was a pair of running socks.  My wife was very underwhelmed:  "Socks?"  Well, at least it's something useful.

I used to run a race specifically for the socks.  True story.  Just raced in them tonight.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Hoodoo Guru

I'm sure the kids at medals 4 mettle will love these.

The medals for my race are made of 100% recycled materials.

My head hurts.

The tangents are moot.

iLoveAdvo.com

I received this in the mail today:

They sent me this for completing two Rock&Roll races. The thing is, I already have a medal from each of those races, so... what exactly does this thing represent?

--

Nashville, TN

They sent me this for "completing" two Rock&Roll races.

You didn't take that there tired person's bus to the finish line, did you?

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.

jaxn, here is what is in your future:

And eventually:

- Joe

all running goals are under review by the executive committee.