Tapering Question (Read 537 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Last week I ran a 20 miler that felt pretty good but I felt some knee issues. This week I decided to run 20 again and then the taper. I was planning on a two week taper but I am going to do a three week taper now. I need to rest my knees as much as possible because they are really mad at me ITB issues. However, for confidence reason I need to get a couple of smaller race pace runs in. So the question is what would be the best taper plan. Here is what I am planning currently: Week Mon Tue Wed Thur Fri Sat Sun 1 Cross - 8 Cross - - 12 2 Cross - 8 Cross - - 8 3 Cross - 4 - 2 - 26.2 It seems like really low miles but I think this is the min I can get away with and still feel confident when I start to run the race. I would love to get some other peoples perspectives or even past experiences. Has anyone not run the last two weeks before the race and if so how were your results? How should I deal with this issue. My first 20 miler was an 8:05 pace on a really hard course and my last 20 was 8:40 pace on a really easy course. My plan was to run between 8 min and 8:15 pace for the race. I've been using the roller (which hurts a lot) and some of the stretches.
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    milkbaby

If you plan to run a marathon at 8:00-8:15/mile pace but run a 20 mile long run at 8:05/mile, that's called leaving your race out on the training course! It's no wonder you are having some physical issues. If you are having IT band issues, then it is more important to clear that up as it has the potential to blow up during the race to the point that even walking is painful. Your first priority should be to heal up and alleviate your injury. Whatever running you get done between now and your race is almost gravy as the bulk of your hard training should have taken place by now. Think about it this way, you will lose some fitness by not running as much, but you will gain by healing your injury. On the other hand, if you run too much, you may keep up your running fitness but at the expense of aggravating your injury which has the potential to halt your race plans entirely. Do what you can and take care -- good luck at your race!
      "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura

Getting well should be the top priority. Just be aware that if you barely run for 3 weeks before your marathon that you will need to adjust your expectations or even consider not running on race day if you still hurt. They'll always make another marathon.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

protoplasm72

17 days before my last marathon I felt the first signs of ITBS at the end of a 6 miler. I ran a total of 16 miles between that day and my marathon and mostly in the last 5 days before the race when my knee started to feel better. I tried every couple days to run but if there was any pain at all I ended the run and walked home. On race day I had the knee taped and it felt fine until maybe mile 15 and then it only hurt for 3 miles or so. I finished 6 minutes ahead of my goal. If I could go back in time I would have run even less during those 17 days. I don't think those runs did anything for me other then slow my recovery. I suggest taking a week off from running completely and just cross train and stretch and do some hip exercises to strengthen your hip abductors. Also I second milkbaby comment. Your long runs are to fast for your goal pace. You'll probably actually do better if take a lot of time off the next 3 weeks cause your legs need the rest after over training.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

So you think running 20, 12, 6 miles is too much? It is only two runs a week. I feel much better today but I am glad that I don't have to run till tomorrow night. What I might do is run this week and then not run the following week. One run at a time though. Taking off all three weeks seems like too much at this point. If I decided not to run next week would you cross train or just not do anything?
              2011 Goals:
              Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
              Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
            protoplasm72

ITBS is a sneaky injury. My knee only hurt a little when going down stairs but otherwise was fine in my daily life, it only hurt when I ran. I tried to run every couple of days to test it cause I thought it was better. I usually got a mile before the pain started and then I stopped and walked. I think it probably would of gotten better faster if I was patient and took a week or more off completely. Although I survived the marathon without to much knee pain, 5 days later I tried to run again for the first time and only got a few steps. Personally I'd be worried about that 20 mile training run doing the same thing to you. I heard that short but faster training is better then long and slow when you have ITBS. Definitely increase your cross training as long as whatever you do doesn't cause pain in your knee.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson