Former Military (Read 759 times)

JakeKnight

Just curious ... how many former or active duty military folks we have here? What service? How long? (Maybe what country?) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- And yes, I'm done monopolizing the board for the morning, yes, I spent too much of my morning here, yes, I type very fast, yes, my fingers hurt, and yes, I'm a dork. Sorry to all for filling up the message board. Had a few too many questions this morning. Big grin

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

Scout7

Well, I am currently in the National Guard. Was a Combat Engineer, now a Cavalry Scout, but if I stick around, I'm slotted as the Fire Support NCO, so I'd have to go become a FO. But it'd be a staff job, and I'm sorta digging the idea of being a chair-sitting coffee swiller for a while.
        Former Naval Officer ('89-95). Lieutenant Surface Warfare. Six years service mostly sea duty. USS Forrestal (CV-59/AVT-59) Engineering Department and USS Hue City (CG-66) Engineering and Operations Departments. God Bless the USA!
          Former Marine--7 years active (enlisted), 14 reserve (commissioned). Speciality = Field Artillery. Active duty included one tour in VN with 1st Marine Division (that was '72-'73, so things were kind of winding down). I remember we used to say that we had done so much, for so long, for so little, that now we can do anything, forever, for nothing. Semper Fi
          My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
          JakeKnight

I suspected there were a few military folks here. Even after 15 years I can still hear it in the tone and attitude, even on a message. As for me, USMC 1989-1994, enlisted, a Signals Intell weenie (a Russian Crypto guy, to be specific). Made it through 5 years in the Corps with exactly 3 weeks at sea (the USS-Inchon - LPH-12). Hated every minute for 5 years ... and now I miss it every day. Strange, huh? I actually listen to cadences I downloaded from iTunes when I run. By the way - cleaned-up politically correct cadences are really, really lame. Somehow "I'm a mean motor scooter" doesn't have the same ring to it ... Semper Fi to all.

You'll ruin your knees!

As we approach veterens day (coming up on November 11, our club's Rockledge Rumble race on that date honors vets), I want to say from the bottom of my heart... Thank you for your sacrifice and service to our country. You all rock! God bless, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

U.S. Army Signal Corps '92-'95. Dumbest thing I ever did was get out, really enjoyed the time that I was in and most of the people I met. Spent 6 months in Mogadishu from Oct of 93 to March of 94. Ironically, the reason I got out is because I failed 2 run tests in a row and now I've become a runner working on moving from 5Ks to 10Ks.
                The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                Purdey

Self anointed title

Currently serving in the British Army (Royal Artillery).... been in for 10 years. Tom

Runreno

Marine Corp 1974 to 1978 Grunt, Marksmen Instructor. Ran the Marine Corp Marathon first year they had it 1974 as a Marine. Last year on the Rock ran allot of races in Okinawa and Japan.

www.running-distance-tips.com

JakeKnight

As we approach veterens day (coming up on November 11, our club's Rockledge Rumble race on that date honors vets), I want to say from the bottom of my heart... Thank you for your sacrifice and service to our country. You all rock! God bless, Lynn B
                      Thank you right back.
                      U.S. Army Signal Corps '92-'95. Dumbest thing I ever did was get out, really enjoyed the time that I was in and most of the people I met. Spent 6 months in Mogadishu from Oct of 93 to March of 94. Ironically, the reason I got out is because I failed 2 run tests in a row and now I've become a runner working on moving from 5Ks to 10Ks.
                      October of 93 was a bad time to be in Somalia. Bet you've got some stories. And yeah ... I now question whether getting out was such a great idea. I can't help but notice that if I'd stayed in, I probably could have gotten the Marine Corps to pay for the two degrees I've gotten since getting out - saving me a rather impressive student loan debt. More importantly, it kind of sucks to realize that if I'd stayed in, I'd be 3 years from freakin' retirement right now. And yeah, pretty ironic running now. I've got my own ironies. I get up every morning at 5:30 now, and I swore when I got out I'd sleep til 10:00 for the rest of my life. Oh, well.
                      Currently serving in the British Army (Royal Artillery).... been in for 10 years. Tom
                      Some of the best times I had was with the Brit military. Served 3 years on a Royal Navy base in Scotland, and spend some time at another base in Portsmouth. Funniest thing I ever saw was when a SAS unit was doing some temporary training in the Highlands, and they invited a couple of my fellow Marines to join them. These guys thought they were tough; when they got back from that training, they didn't act so tough any more. Second funniest Brit story - I spent time flying on P-3 recon planes over Bosnia in Spring 94, out of Sigonella in Sicily. We used to eavesdrop on the British Nato troops on the ground. Know what they talked about 90% of the time? Making tea, of course.

October of 93 was a bad time to be in Somalia. Bet you've got some stories. And yeah ... I now question whether getting out was such a great idea. I can't help but notice that if I'd stayed in, I probably could have gotten the Marine Corps to pay for the two degrees I've gotten since getting out - saving me a rather impressive student loan debt. More importantly, it kind of sucks to realize that if I'd stayed in, I'd be 3 years from freakin' retirement right now. And yeah, pretty ironic running now. I've got my own ironies. I get up every morning at 5:30 now, and I swore when I got out I'd sleep til 10:00 for the rest of my life. Oh, well.
                        I was there as a direct result of that whole situation. We came back from a field exercise a couple of days after that went down, and found out while we were recovering our equipment that some or all of would be deployed. We processed in 2 days and were ready to go on the 11th, but didn't get on a manifest until the 15th. That was one of the most bizarre weeks of my life.
                        The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare. -- Juma Ikangaa, Tanzanian marathoner

Help to defeat Lou Gehrig's Disease. Please sponsor me in The Ride to Defeat ALS. I'm riding in memory of my dad.
                        http://runpebsrun.blogspot.com
                        SteveB

I might as well toss in my two-bobs worth. Australian Army - 23 yrs (8 Reserve, 15 Regular). Commando. Somewhere along the way I shifted from jumping out of plane to driving a desk. Currently working towards a PhD.
                          2009 Goals:
                          Run 6:30 mile (or 6:01 1500m or 10:10 2.4k).
                          Run 6:15 mile (or 5:48 1500m or 9:45 2.4k).
                          Run 6:00 mile (or 5:33 1500m or 9:20 2.4k).
                          Run 5:45 mile (or 5:18 1500m or 8:55 2.4k).
                          2010 Goals:
                          Run 5:30 mile (or 5:05 1500m or 8:30 2.4k).
                          Run 5:15 mile (or 4:54 1500m or 8:10 2.4k).
                          Run a 5 minute mile (or 4:37 1500m or 7:45 2.4k) before 50th birthday (Nov).