Asics GT 2000 I have questions. (Read 139 times)

Hello all,

I am new to the Running Ahead forum. I started running in junior high (cross country in 1974-76), and continued through the late 1990's when I for whatever reason stopped. Since 1992 I have been very partial to Asics models. Started off in the Gel 120 and eventually graduated to 2100 series shoes (although I wore New Balance from time to time). I have just started running again and have ordered the Asics GT 2000 and should receive them this Friday. Currently I have a pair of Mizuno wave Inspire 8's that I have had for about a year. Bought them last winter to start my running program in, but ended up having heel issues and did not start running until this year. The questions I have are as follows:

1) How is the fit? have been used to wearing a 2E generally. Although since I have lost weight recently a D width seems sufficient. In the past the 2100 series shoes I could get away with a D width.

2) How is the wear on the upper? I have read some things online and it seems that some people have had issues with the wear across the toe box (tears, holes in the upper mesh, etc.)

3) How is the cushioning? It seems that the medial post in the 2100 series shoes was always comfortable not too stiff. Although some have said that it lacks some cushioning in the forefoot as well.

4) How is the outsole wear? Once again online mixed reviews on the durability of the AHAR. Some had no complaints and some have said that it wears our completely between 100-160 miles.

5) have heard that the GT 2000 2 is a great update to the GT 2000 and may look to buy a pair as my alternative.

I am hopeful that I can get some great opinions from the readers on the forum that can guide me in the right direction. Thank you.

JerseeJerry55

GinnyinPA

I loved my Asics 2170's.  When they discontinued those, I tried on the 2000's and they didn't fit the same.  I ended up buying Brooks Adrenalines instead. They fit well, but wore out pretty quickly.  So then I switched to Asics 1000's, which fit me more like the 2170s.  They now have about 300 miles on them, as do my second pair Adrenalines, but they show less wear.  I have wide feet, and they fit my feet well.  No issues with either tops or bottoms.  I'll probably get Asic 1000's for my next pair.

Ginny,

Thank you for your email. Back when I was running consistently I tried the GT 1030's-1050's from time to time with little success. They didn't wear/perform as well as my 2020's-2050's. Being the manager of an athletic shoe store didn't hurt either so I could always return my shoes if they didn't meet my standards/expectations. Thanks again for your help. Enjoy your day.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I wore the 2100-series and now wear the 2000s. I've got 365 miles on my current shoes. I'm not finding them any different than my 2170s. The wear is similar both in the upper and sole. I thought when I first got them that maybe the cushioning was a bit less, but I didn't have anything to prove that. I haven't had any problems. I'll likely go try on the 2000 2 soon to get a second pair to work into the rotation.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

PeBaCa

I'm fairly new to running so these answers may not be of much help to you. These are my second pair of running shoes.

I have the Asics GT 2000 Lightning shoes. I am partial to Saucony shoes and wanted to try another variety, just to see the difference. I'm pleased with the Asics so far:

They fit well and have been comfortable since Day 1. The gel is cushioning and seems quite supportive since I haven't had any foot or leg issues at all. I find my shoes very comfortable and the fit around my foot is firm but not pressing or obstructive.

My shoes currently have just over 400 Km (approx. 250 miles) on them and they are wearing really well. They look like new (almost). No tears, rips or worn areas.

The soles do seem a bit slippery when the roads are wet. That is my only concern with the shoes so far. The soles don't look terribly worn but there are spots where the tread seems well worn. I will get a new pair of shoes before fall for outdoor use and use the Asics on the treadmill over the winter. On dry ground, these shoes are solid on any terrain or slope.

I wore the 2100-series and now wear the 2000s. I've got 365 miles on my current shoes. I'm not finding them any different than my 2170s. The wear is similar both in the upper and sole. I thought when I first got them that maybe the cushioning was a bit less, but I didn't have anything to prove that. I haven't had any problems. I'll likely go try on the 2000 2 soon to get a second pair to work into the rotation.

I agree, since day one the 2000s felt like they had less cushioning than the 2100 series.   I have 400 miles on mine and haven't had any problems, but my feet feel closer to the road in them, if that makes any sense.

4/14/24 Napa Valley 50k, Calistoga, CA

7/20/24 Tahoe Rim Trail 56 miler, NV

9/21/24 Mountain Lakes 100, OR

Good shoe.  I started using the GT 2000 series a couple of years ago (moving down from the Kayano) and am completely satisfied with these as my daily trainers.  I've never had an issue with the uppers and the fit works well for me.  The outsoles are as durable as other shoes I've tried.  I usually have 2 or 3 pairs active at a time, and typically retire mine after about 400 miles.  I've put over 500 miles on one pair (on asphalt, primarily), so durability is not an issue.  Come to think of it, I recently ran a 50k trail race in a pair of 2000's.

Good morning and thank you to all who have replied to my post. I really appreciate all the information provided to me so far. My suspicion is that what negative comments I have read online are from the 2170 loyalists who feel they have had the rug being pulled out from underneath them on the reworking involving the GT 2000. Fully understand and can't say that I blame them though. However in my past running experience's when I was wearing 2030's into the 2100 series shoes that yes there were slight changes in each newer model but not enough to turn me off from the next model. That being said I am excited about receiving and then running in the GT 2000. Everyone enjoy their respective days.

JerseeJerry55

FYI:  Last year's model is still on clearance at RW.

The GT 2000 ?

catwhoorg

Labrat

I am happier with the GT2000 than I have been with the line since the 2150 which was my first ASICS shoe.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I received my new GT 2000's late last week (Lime w/Red), and am using them for the first time tomorrow (pretty stoked). Thanks to all for their help.

Jersee Jerry 55

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

ASIC GT 2000 $45 at Famous Footwear.  Purchased mine 3 weeks ago. Close out. Maybe sold out by now.      

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

ASIC GT 2000 $45 at Famous Footwear.  Purchased mine 3 weeks ago. Close out. Maybe sold out by now.      

Runner Clay,

Hey thanks for the reply. As a matter of fact that's where I got my pair (in the Lime color). I also had a $10.00 off coupon. I have always said that any time you can get a $120.00 pair of running shoes for $35.00 it's a great day. . One question for you I may be looking for a second pair of shoes to change off with. I am at an impasse. I am torn between the following:

• Another pair of GT 2000's
                              • Gel DS Trainer/or DS Racers
                              • GT 1000
                              • Saucony Grid Guide 6
                              • NB 890 V2 or V3

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thank you as always.

JerseeJerry55

Hello all,

I have a question in regard to purchasing a second pair of shoes for change off. Has anyone worn the Saucony Mirage 3? If so have you found the stack height different than lets say a 10mm drop (Asics) to a 4mm drop (Saucony), or does the support differ much between the GT2000 to a shoe like the Mirage? I've read some things online that the Mirage is a shoe that transitions well to minimalist shoes, but by the same token some have stated that the Mirage is a bit on the stiff side. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you as always.

JereeJerry55