cardiology question (technical) about low HRs. (Read 714 times)

Wingz

Professional Noob

Sorry for how geeky this is, but I've got a niggling little detail that's been driving me nuts for a few years! (Maybe if I get it answered I'll stop being nuts? Wink ) Do people who have low HR's from exercising (rather than from damage) still have a sinus rhythm? I thought I remembered seeing sinus brady in the ER, but I also remember being told that when the rhythm is that slow it's not initiating in the SA node... that a sinus rhythm's gotta be around 80, an AV around 60, and ?purkinje? around 40? You know how they say "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing..." LOL! If the above question doesn't make sense to you just ignore it! Shy

Roads were made for journeys...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The half bottle of strong, dry riesling certainly does not help, but that makes NO sense to me, whatsoever.... Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

... just wording it so the people who answer are the ones most likely to actually know... Wink

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

It is still sinus but the whole timing mechanism has slowly worked its way downward so that the sinus and its feedbacks (sympathetic & parasympathetic) go slower. This is in part due to the improved cardiac contractility that maintains a reasonably stable cardiac output at lower heart rates (remember, Cardiac output = heart rate x stroke volume). People with athletic bradycardia often freak out physicians with their "normal" heart rates in the 40s.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ok, I'm totally sober and still scratching my head, LOL! Medical science is so cool. I often wonder if I would have gone into the medical field if I had been better at Math. Speaking of heart-rate, what is normal? I seem to recall that mine has always been on the slow side (even when I was overweight and totally out-of-shape). I know my blood pressure has always been fairly low, too. I think right now I'm sitting at about 110/60. k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Thanks, Trent. Maybe I'll stop being crazy now! Wink Z-z - don't worry about it. 110/60 should be fine unless you're having problems with getting dizzy when you stand up or something. Everyone's different - that's why they give a range for "normal". Same with HR. How your resting HR is can indicate your fitness level... but my dad who was 350+ lbs and never exercised had a resting HR in the low 60's, so you can see there's some variation there. BTW, he could also hold his breath for at least a minute and a half! Amazing! Just think what he could have done if he'd actually been in shape...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, I'm not at all worried about my BP. If I stand up REALLY fast I will sometimes see stars or get dizzy, but that has as much to do with my inner ear issues as anything, I think. Lower BP runs in my family, a bit. I know I'm still in the range of "normal" (at least as far as that measure is concerned, LOL!). Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Wingz

Professional Noob

Girl, don't you ever sleep? You're on here more than I am!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah...I'm just having a really boring weekend, LOL! I still get 7-9 hours sleep most nights... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay