Duluth runner's pain is no pulled muscle, rather, a baby (Read 221 times)

Duluth runner's pain is no pulled muscle, rather, a baby

June  5, 2013

DULUTH, Minn. (AP) — A Duluth woman training for a half-marathon says she thought she had pulled a muscle or ruptured a disc in her back before she ended up in a hospital emergency room.

And, when doctors told her that her pain was actually due to an impending birth, Trish Staine says she was in denial.

Staine says she told doctors a baby was impossible. Her husband, John, had a vasectomy and there were no signs of pregnancy - no weight gain and no feeling of fetal movement.

Staine says she ran for two hours Sunday and later had a sore back. On Monday, the pain became unbearable. An ambulance rushed her to a Duluth hospital where she and her husband were stunned by the news. The new mother says they've named their baby girl Mira, which is short for Miracle.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

SubDood

Ha! Miracle Staine!  I think I've got a bottle of that somewhere.

keeponrunning

Well that's one way to make sure you're allowed to run through a pregnancy.  Wink

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

#artbydmcbride

No weight gain?  Wow!

Runners run

SubDood

I checked, and she is signed up to run Grandma's Half Marathon in 2-and-a-half weeks.

Her husband had a vasectomy. So it really is a miracle. No other plausible explanation.

BeeRunB

I checked, and she is signed up to run Grandma's Half Marathon in 2-and-a-half weeks.

Her husband had a vasectomy. So it really is a miracle. No other plausible explanation.

None?

Another immaculate conception?

Gator eye

Fed-x really delivered on that one.

zonykel

LOL

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

And her uterus obviously didn't fall out.

seattlechica

And her uterus obviously didn't fall out.

The baby did though!