Health Club Etiquette (Read 799 times)

Bugs

I got on a TM at the Y, when the lady next to my TM scornly says, "Your hearrate monitor is showing up on my TM." Thinking most people don't use the heart monitor I ask, "Does that bother you?" She shrugs, "No". A few minutes later she is complaining to the person next to her. I ask if she has a strap on, and she says no, she's using the hand helds and trying to stay in a certain range. I didn't want to start a fight so I took it off. What do you think the etiquette of this is?

Bugs

i guess if she's using the HR display on her machine then its up to you to make sure your one doesn't disturb her. probably a bit silly of her to say it didn't bother her when it clearly did - but i can see how i might do that if i was a bit too embarrassed to actually ask you to stop.

Bugs

And how am I suppose to keep my HR monitor from showing up on her machine? It's not like I had control over it. I could have moved, but I signed up for that TM because it has the best view.

Bugs

It's her issue- not yours. Where your strap.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Neil Gunn

Gandalf the Grey

It's her issue- not yours. Wear your strap.
            I agree - your TM neighbour could just avoid looking at the HR figure on her TM. If she wore a belt it would pick up that signal as it was stronger. Just my 2p worth Neil

Running ... just keep running!

That was "WEAR your strap". Sorry about that- too early, I guess!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

i disagree - if i was using a treadmill (not that i would be as i much prefer running outside!) but if i was and was using the HR display then i'd be quite reasonably cross if someone came and started using the treadmill next to me and disturbing my workout. unless you think your workout is more important than hers then i think the onus is on you to move - even if it spoils your view.
                your TM neighbour could just avoid looking at the HR figure on her TM
                not if she's actually using it by using the handhelds (as bugs said in her opening post)

Oh Mighty Wing

Bugs - I guess the thing is that you tried. You asked if it bothered her and I bet had she said yes you would have moved. My thinking on the etiquette is that you did what you should do. Try not to be bothered by passive aggressive people!
                  MissGiggles

Weird, have had a HRM monitor for years and no one has ever complained. This is the crowded month for the gym though, and by signing up to use the treadmill I guess she didn't have a choice to go to another one. The other lady needs to get a cheap coded Polar HRM - there isn't a way to stop the hrm from flashing on the treadmill next to you or sometimes even the one in front of you. Plus holding onto the handles is bad form.
                      Very interesting. If I wear my polar heart rate strap the treadmills at my gym automatically will display the HR for me. I've never come across it interfering with anyone else, although I have heard of HRM's "bleeding" into each other from time to time. But in answer to your question insofar as gym etiquette, if my HRM was displaying on someone else's TM I would probably just take it off since it would almost certainly be a distraction for the other treadmill user. I would thing each person using equipment would not expect to be sharing it with someone else. I think you did the right thing by taking off your HRM. Hopefully this was a sporadic event and not something you'll have to deal with on a regular basis.
                      USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010

Bugs

This lady looked really familiar, and but I couldn't place where I knew her which was part of the reason I decided not to argue my case with her. Just remember tonight and she's my neighbor and she's a PITA (pain in the ...). I disagree with Mandy, in that I asked her if it bothered her and she said no. When she complained the second time I was into my run and would not want to restart the time and distance on a second TM.

Bugs