Speaking of iPods...earphones? (Read 1189 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hyphenjones just made mention of the ipod earbuds. What model generally comes with the Nano (which I am planning to purchase after the holidays)? I would assume it's just the little simple round ones that one presses into the ear a bit? Do they stay in fairly well for running, or are there other headphones that work better? Also, are there models that allow for background noise to be heard better (other than just keeping the volume low)? Since most of my running over the Winter is done on the road, without a paved shoulder (and the shoulders are usually full of snow and slop, anyhow), I'd like something that still allows me to be very aware of sounds arond me. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Apple makes great product. Period. Hands down the winner. But Apple makes lousy earbuds/earphones, etc. Gor those, go Sony. Sony has a line of earbuds and earphones that are waterproof (important if you sweat), durable, have good sound quality, and look good too. They also have clips that allow you to clip them to your shirt.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sony has a line of earbuds and earphones that are waterproof (important if you sweat)
        Does a bear defecate in the woods?! I'll have to look into those. I can't imagine that those little white things would stay in my ears long during a run. k

~ Sarah Kay

My dogs are fast, not me

As far as it know all ipods come with the white ipod ear buds. As for how they stay, it depends on your ears. Mine earbuds work their way out of my ears and I feel like I'm always trying to screw them back into my head. It's 100x worse with a hat on because the hat pressing on my ears makes it even harder for them to stay in. DH doesn't have any problem with his. robin

Robin

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Robin, I have a feeling I'm going to need something that wraps around my ear or has a headband...I have pretty small ears. Trent, are these like the ones you recommended? Sony Sports Headphones

~ Sarah Kay

Prophet!

i use a regular Sony headphones that wraps around the ear and it works fine even under extreme sweating conditions. Those that wraps around at the back of your neck drove me insane. Smile

Finished!

The ear clip style never works for me and the headband styles give me a headache...and the pack-ins were always falling out of one of my ears on "longer" runs. I now wear Sennheiser mx75s (I think) they are obnoxiously green and they clash with my i-pod Wink but they fit great and have good sound quality - even better, they have a 2 yr warranty, so if they decide they dont want to work anymore I'll be sending em back to Sennheiser for a replacement
                Walk + Jog = wog.
                I'm trying to Lose 5% at a time
                I support Heifer International - join me by donating via my registry
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I now wear Sennheiser mx75s (I think) they are obnoxiously green and they clash with my i-pod Wink but they fit great and have good sound quality - even better, they have a 2 yr warranty, so if they decide they dont want to work anymore I'll be sending em back to Sennheiser for a replacement
                  Like these? Hmmm...I will have to look into those, too. They get some great reviews. Not sure how much I want to spend on headphones, yet--though I would pay a bit extra for something that will actually stay in my ears and not bother me when I run. k

~ Sarah Kay

va

I use the Sony MDR-W08 headphones. They have worked pretty well for me. They are lightweight, durable, comfortable, and they stay on my head fairly well. The price is right too! Note: I haved use these with a generic MP3 player not an IPOD. I suppose the jack is the same, but I don't really know.
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Those look good, too, and I found a similar style that has volume control built in on the cable: clicky I like that this series of headphones is supposed to allow ambient noise through, which is what I would want. k

~ Sarah Kay

I've never had issues with the little pods falling out of my ears, but I think everyone is different. I had a very similar pair that came with my old Samsung mp3 player and those fell out consistently. My main issue with the ipod earphones is the plug for some reason continually falls out of the ipod. this doesn't happen with my other headsets (my current pair were 5 dollars at cvs- they have a thin wire that wraps around the back of my head but does not touch my head, and a small bug that goes in my ear, does not rest on top. I love them). although, I am sorely tempted to add some bling to my runs: http://www.dynamism.com/eardrops/pricing.shtml
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Laura, how cool are those?! I'm guessing they are more form than function, though... Big grin This model looks nice, too: more Sony k

~ Sarah Kay

derek

Robin, I have a feeling I'm going to need something that wraps around my ear or has a headband...I have pretty small ears.
                            These are the ones I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FONSEQ/002-0491231-8444041

Derek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, the phones that come with the iPod are crummy. Sound isn't very good (very muddy, no matter what EQ setting I use) AND they hurt my ears. I have had them in for a half hour while I play and they are making my ear sore. Should I try to avoid earbuds, or will the cushiony kind maybe work OK for me? These are pretty hard. They actually seem to stay in OK, but I don't think I could go more than 3-4 miles before I'd be hurting and want them out. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ooh, got another question...would the "over-the-ear" type of headphones not be compatible with wearing sunglasses? k

~ Sarah Kay