Blister question (Read 163 times)

Supersono99

I've been running in Kayanos for almost two years. I've tried other shoes but always have knee pain in other brands. I keep getting a blister on the outside of my big toe. I've tried injinji, balega, lululemon and every other expensive sock possible to prevent blisters. I even wear the double layer blister socks, can't think of their name.  Is it my shoe that's the problem where I need a different model of shoe? I'm miserable with these blisters. Today I ended up with a new blister in a spot I haven't had one before and this one is super painful. Any suggestions?

Snarl snarl.

Have you tried something like Body Glide? That might help.

NHLA

vasoline. I use it by the bucket. Kayanos are stiff you might want to try a different shoe. mabe the 2160.

Better I Leave

I love my Kayanos...Oddly enough, The first pair I purchased suited me just fine and I loved'em so much I immediately bought another pair. The new pair gave me a raw spot over my big toe initially. But here's the gig...I was wearing thinner socks breaking in the new pair. It's gone now, but it struck me as strange. Still lovin' my Kayanos.

For the record,, Ducks suggestion on BodyGlide is a good recommendation as well. I've used BodyGlide. It works well. Maybe different socks might help too. HTH.

jicama

Did we win?

I've used duct tape & petroleum jelly until the calluses form.  The key is that the calluses always form for me.

2014 races"

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb.8, 2:22

Umstead Trail Marathon, Raleigh, NC, Mar. 1, 5:48

Johnston Health Champions 5K, Smithfield, NC, 26:53

Rattler Trail Half-Marathon, Sanford, NC, 2:52 (wow)

2013 races:

Heart & Sole Half-Marathon,  Goldsboro, NC, Feb. 2, 1:56:40 (PR)

New River Marathon, Todd, NC, May 4, 4:59:32 (PR)

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Supersono99

Duct tape? On healthy skin or while it's still a fluid filled blister?

Chasing the bus

Have you experimented with different lacing? Maybe something that opens up the forefoot area?

My experience with duct tape and fresh blisters is it usually removes what skin is covering them...and that's pretty uncomfortable. You can put a piece of gauze over the blister, then a layer of duct tape.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Aquaphor is a prouduct made by Eucerin! It helps to heal the skin under the blister! We tell our radiation patients to use it!!

Completed my first half marathon 2:09:04!!!

jicama

Did we win?

I've always noticed a problem area before a blister forms, but I put the tape back-to-back so it doesn't stick to the skin where the blister is forming.

2014 races"

2013 races:

Triple Lakes Trail Race (40 mile), Greensboro, NC, Oct. 5, DNF after 31 miles in 7:48

Supersono99

I've always noticed a problem area before a blister forms, but I put the tape back-to-back so it doesn't stick to the skin where the blister is forming.

So you stick the tape to itself then just put it in place you between your sock and skin? How does it stay?

zonykel

Where exactly are you getting the blisters? Have you checked if your shoe size is correct? The Vaseline may work, but I don't like the feeling.

if your shoe laces are too loose, the foot is going to move inside the shoe, causing unnecessary friction.

you can also use something called "second skin". It's helped me in the past, but you'd have to know the typical areas where you blister.

jicama

Did we win?

So you stick the tape to itself then just put it in place you between your sock and skin? How does it stay?

I stick the tape to itself only in the area that it contacts the affected area of my foot.  I haven't done this for a while, though, either because my feet have toughened up or my new shoes fit better.

2014 races"

2013 races:

I used to wear Kayano's. They always gave me blisters. I switched to Mizuno WaveRider's and have been wearing them for about 6 years without issue.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

If you're getting blisters on anything less than 20 mile runs then its time to try something different (shoes, lacing, something/anything).

You people have issues 

Supersono99

I used to wear Kayano's. They always gave me blisters. I switched to Mizuno WaveRider's and have been wearing them for about 6 years without issue.

Do the wave riders have lots of cushioning?

I usually can go months without a blister, so I cannot figure out why they randomly pop up. I don't change anything.