Kirsten's "Team Tiara" (Read 817 times)

Along for the Ride

I was the first to donate $26. Not much, but if we all donate $26, it will add up fast. This is such an important topic. Our kids are our future and we're seeing less and less active, healthy and normal-weight children these days. I've read that this coming generation will probably be the first with a lower life expectancy, because of obesity related issues. It is such a great cause to teach girls to be confident, active and have fun with other girls! Having fun moving and being active - not shopping at the mall while sucking down Frappucino's ... I work as a nurse and was shocked that there are now more and more weight-loss surgeries performed on teenagers! This can't be the solution! We are a society of instant gratification. Gaining 20 pounds didn't happen overnight. Taking them off will not happen overnight and will require discipline and sweat and effort. Also in my line of work as a nurse I herniated a lumbar disc, lifting an overweight patient. I could actually feel it pop ... It has caused me a lot of missed running, a lot of depression and pain. I am now a backpatient at the age of 34 (with a strong core thanks to my PT Big grin). We need to do something about this obesity epedemic! Since I don't have the time to assemble a group of girls and run with them I decided to donate to Kirsten's cause. Keep going zoomie! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thank you so much, friend! This thread has me speechless! I was going to post a thread encouraging donation, but you've done it for me--thanks again! (and check out Trisha's campaign to raise funds for her SPCA, too)
      I work as a nurse and was shocked that there are now more and more weight-loss surgeries performed on teenagers! This can't be the solution! We are a society of instant gratification. Gaining 20 pounds didn't happen overnight. Taking them off will not happen overnight and will require discipline and sweat and effort.
      I have been reading this--it's so saddening to me. These kids aren't even trying to lose the healthy way and are opting instead for surgeries that carry very high risks and low long-term success for those who are not willing to still be very careful with diet and exercise. If they aren't willing to first try watching their food intake and activity level, then how can they expect long-term success after WLS? My own history with organized sports as a kid is something I greatly credit with my own weight loss AND improved overall health. I never would have taken up running a year ago (I am also 34 Smile ) if I hadn't been a track runner (sprinter) as a teen. Now I am accomplishing things that even then weren't "on my radar." In HS I thought running road races was the domain of highly talented "natural" athletes--not slow folks like me. Next year I fully intend to train for and run my first marathon. I also look at my own family...my brother and I both took part in sports as kids and have grown into relatively successful adults (adults who still are fairly athletic). My sister joined no sports teams, got in with a bad crowd, made poor choices, and at 26 she has made a very difficult life for herself...flunked out of college, 2 sons by different fathers, and struggling to make ends meet. I do believe that participation in sports (or lack thereof) made a huge difference in our outcomes. Thanks again for your support and testimony as a medical professional. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Kirstin, thank you so, so much Smile What is the link to your Team Tiara page? I've heard of this organization, and I think it's a great idea. Girls need positive role models and Zoomie, you are a great one!
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kirstin, thank you so, so much Smile What is the link to your Team Tiara page? I've heard of this organization, and I think it's a great idea. Girls need positive role models and Zoomie, you are a great one!
          Thanks! I'm always hoping that girls in our neighborhood will see me out running and be encouraged to run (or do anything active), too. This Summer I plan to get our son running with me some, too (he already bikes with his dad a bit...I like to think we're setting good examples for him). Here is the letter I will be sending to friends and family on my Christmas list this week: Hi friends...you were warned! In just under a month from now I will be embarking on my biggest physical accomplishment in my 34 years (not counting carrying and giving birth to a certain 6 year old male). I will be competing in the 30th annual Riverbank Run 25k (15.5 miles...more info @ 53riverbankrun.com) in Grand Rapids, MI. It is the largest race of its length in the entire US--nearly 12k people ran the race last year. On this anniversary year it is almost certain to be even more people participating. In preparation for this event I have been running consistently for over a year, completing several races, including my very first half-marathon last Oct. This Winter, when windchills dipped well below 0º F and snow and ice made footing trecherous, I was out logging miles--at least 20 milesmost weeks. I still have yet to set foot on a treadmill. I am currently running over 30 miles/week. My longest run in preparation for the race was 14.5 miles and I intend to run at least the race distance 2 weeks prior to the race. As I mentioned in my Christmas letter I would be doing fundraising again for our local Girls On The Run chapter (to learn more about this charity please visit www.girlsontherun.com). I have a minimum of $262 that I must raise--the difference comes out of pocket. If you would like to help me reach my goal of $1,000 you have the option to donate via 3 different methods: • my personal fundraising webpage (www.active.com/donate/TeamTiara2007/zoom-zoom) • by mailing me a check made out to Girls on the Run International • by purchasing items from my online Art Photography store--100% of proceeds through April 12 will be donated to GOTR (www.cafepress.com/CandidArtistry) Further information about GOTR from their website: Mission To educate and prepare girls for a life time of self-respect and healthy living. ---------- About Girls on the Run is a life-changing, experiential learning programs for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development. ---------- Objectives The Girls on the Run objective is to reduce the potential display of at-risk activities among its participants. The goal is fewer adolescent pregnancies and eating disorders, less depression and suicide attempts, as well as fewer substance/alcohol abuse problems and confrontations with the juvenile justice system. While I may not be the mother of any female children, the importance of GOTR is still very legitimate for me. Many of my friends are parents of daughters and someday my son will likely be a husband and father. I’m also certain that my own accomplishments and good health have been due in large part to my participation in sports as an adolescent. With all of the cut-backs in school physical education and sports programs the continuation of GOTR is of particular importance. I hope you will give what you can in support of my efforts and a fantastic charity. And please feel free to contact me should you have any questions. Kirsten

~ Sarah Kay

You are welcome Smile Good luck with the fundraising! (I find that a little bit of I'm running a marathon/ half marathon/ 25K and all you have to do is give me a little money works well Wink)
            2009: BQ?
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

People in WA state rock. I'm just sayin'..... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jeff, you rock, too! You are my first Y-chromosome donor! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Jeff, you rock, too! You are my first Y-chromosome donor!
                  Just so we're clear -- I am a donor with y-chromosomes, not a donor of y-chromosomes! Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Just so we're clear -- I am a donor with y-chromosomes, not a donor of y-chromosomes! Clowning around
                    Ooh, good distinction! Though have you heard that scientists (in the UK, I think...) have developed a way to fertilize a Human egg without a sperm cell (using a cell from the mother's body, possibly). From the sound of it they could create all female infants this way if the donor cells came from the mom or another female. This could serve as incentive for guys to be extra nice to us girls before we make you obsolete... Wink k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

But then you'd have a world full of girls with no one to help them get the jars open... Clowning around

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oooh...good point! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I must say that you RA folks are all awesome! I love every time my little e-mail notifyer thingie pings and there's another donation from an RA peep! You guys and gals are the BEST! I won't forget this any time any of the rest of you yahoos do fundraising, either--I owe you all big time! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I saw that you're up to $200. WTG. Big grin Also saw this on your TT page. Typo on the date? by purchasing items from my online Art Photography store 100% of proceeds through April 12 will be donated to GOTR

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oops, d'oh! Just changed it...it should have read May, not April--good eyes! Big grin I'm actually up to $310...I have some offline donations, too. Apparently there's supposed to be a way to list them on my webpage, but I have yet to find the "tab" that the FAQs refers to. I wonder if the GOTR pages are set up differently. I contacted Active Giving support yesterday to find out how I can do that. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Less than a week to go...anyone else feeling generous... Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay