An opportunity to do Boston (Read 573 times)

jeffdonahue

So I now have an opportunity to run Boston if I want to. My running club gets several numbers for the race, and while I didnt get one when they doled them out a few months ago, someone just dropped out and has offered up his number to the group. My concern is that there is only 10 weeks till the race. I have done a few 14 milers (one on 1/20 and one last Sunday 2/3) and a 12 miler two days ago. I am just worried I wont be able to build up my mileage enough (and safely) in time and if I cant do it right, I'd rather not do it. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance Jeff
      Hi Jeff- I did Boston in 2006 with a charity number, in a similar situation. From checking out your log, I definitely had much less miles under my belt than you. But I had always wanted to run Boston, and in late January got an opportunity from a charity that I volunteer for. I trained as hard as possible for the next 3 months, and got to the starting line in the best shape I could given the timeframe (I did a 20-miler, a few 17s, a half-marathon race...and not much more for distance runs). I think you definitely have the running base to get to Boston in shape to run 26.2 miles. But when I finished, I felt like I hadn't earned the right to run Boston. Not being a serious runner at that point, I didn't realize how much prestige and pride there was in the running community for QUALIFYING for Boston. Not sure if you'd feel the same way...but that was my reaction. I definitely think that you can finish Boston as a charity runner and still feel accomplished...but from your post I think you have a similar view as me, that you'd be much more proud of your finish if you had the proper time to train, and run it the best you could, not just finish the race. If I had trained for maybe 6 months, I would have been much more happy with myself, even though I still wouldn't have been able to run a 3:10 qualifier. Because I would have felt that even though I didn't run a qualifying marathon elsewhere, I still had trained hard and long enough to respect the Boston marathon (as cheesy as that might sound). Just my thoughts. Right now, my goal is to run a qualifying marathon for Boston, someday. I've done a 1:36 half-marathon...if I can shave off a minute, and keep that pace up for another 13.1 miles...I'm there! Good luck either way! -Mike
      JakeKnight

But when I finished, I felt like I hadn't earned the right to run Boston. Not being a serious runner at that point, I didn't realize how much prestige and pride there was in the running community for QUALIFYING for Boston. Not sure if you'd feel the same way...but that was my reaction. I definitely think that you can finish Boston as a charity runner and still feel accomplished...but from your post I think you have a similar view as me, that you'd be much more proud of your finish if you had the proper time to train, and run it the best you could, not just finish the race.
        I hate to rain on the recent parade of "all running is equal" sorta threads, especially since I participated in the group hug - and in most cases, I think its true. I make no distinction, most of the time, between a 2:20 marathoner and somebody trying to run their first sub-1:00 hour 5-k. Running is running, its all good, and I love that everybody does their own thing. For me, there's only one exception to that rule: the Boston marathon. I wouldn't run that without a qualifying time even if they paid me to do it. Not for charity, not for money, not for anything. This, of course, wasn't what you were asking, Jeff. Sure you can run it in 10 weeks. Probably run a decent time, too. But I'd think about Mike's post up there if I were you, and ask yourself if you really want to do it without a qualifying time. Just my two cents. I don't have any interest in arguing the point, and I know the above is bound to miff a few charity runners. But for those capable of hitting a BQ time - and you will, in the next couple years - I'd read Mike's post carefully. And maybe LongRunNick's recent thread on how it felt to qualify.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

jeffdonahue

Yeah, I am kind of veering towards Mike's sentiments on the race. I think I could probably get in shape enough to finish the race and maybe even post a decent time if I had a good day, but right now I'm just not feeling that I would have trained as hard as i could have for it given the time I have left. My best marathon is a 4:32 that I ran the first year I started running (2003). I was pretty well trained for that and felt good about my effort when I finished. I have run a few since then but never got in the training that I had wanted to adn never felt fully prepared. And the times showed it - all slower than my first. I dont have any problem with people (myself included) running Boston with a charity or otherwise (through running club, sponsors, etc...) attained official number, though I am a bit put off by bandits in the race. It's just hard to pass up a number for the Boston marathon as they are not easy to come by. But right now I am veering towards not doing it and maybe waiting till next year when I can do it right. And who knows, in a year or two maybe I can qualify - and if not in a year or two, at least I'll get an extra 5 minutes when I turn 40. Big grin Thanks Jeff
            I ran Boston as a bandit back in 1978. My second(first was a 3:58:00) marathon. I needed a sub 3 hr back then--in my 30's. Ran a 3:51:30. Started at the back of the pack. I had a #--"Too SLOW"--Fort McClellan, AL. It was great. I had been running 2 yrs and probably didn't realize how "Sacred" the BM is. I promised I would not run it again unless I could qualify. Well 30 yrs later I did. Age 64: 3:57:47!! There weren't charity runners back then but there were a lot of posers: American Medical Joggers Assoc.--had folks there and other "In groups". I passed a heck of a lot of folks--hundreds--if not more than that-- with my 3:51. Back then I don't even know if they had folks running who qualified over 4hrs. Do what you think is best. I can't tell you the number of times over the last 30 yrs that people have asked me if I ever ran Boston. I smiled --told them yes--as a bandit--and usually got a good laugh for my "#" "Too Slow". Nick
            jeffdonahue

Thanks for the thoughts. I have passed on the number. I talked it over with my coach and while we both thought I could get there and finish, we thought it best to be as prepared as you can be when hitting the starting line for a marathon. So, back to trying to get faster in my 5K and then on to a marathon in the Fall