Body Fat (Read 1603 times)

pre

I think it would be great if there was an option to key body fat % into the daily health info (##.#%).  I often try to keep track of this.

Thanks.

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

How often is your body fat changing?  I'm big on this number as well but the number does not change that often for me even now as I am losing weight with swimming and running more days.
        2011 Goals:
        Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
        Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)

if you are using a scale that tries to estimate this (body fat %) how accurate do you think the scale is? 

On the same note, if you are useing a hight and weight calculator, how accurate is that?

The only good way to measure your body fat percentage is to use pinch calipers with a highly trained person to administor the pinch, or to have a hydrostatic test. How aften will you do that?

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

if you are using a scale that tries to estimate this (body fat %) how accurate do you think the scale is? 

I wonder that too. I have one of those scales and I'm surprised at the number it gives me for my body fat. 

On the same note, if you are useing a hight and weight calculator, how accurate is that?

I think my height calculator's pretty accurate, but my weight calculator might be a bit off.

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

flovesparko

I wonder that too. I have one of those scales and I'm surprised at the number it gives me for my body fat. 

+1  

protoplasm72

Low accuracy, high precision.  The actual number can be off by a lot but if you measure yourself first thing every morning you can use the trend to see if you are gaining, losing, or staying the same.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Low accuracy, high precision.  The actual number can be off by a lot but if you measure yourself first thing every morning you can use the trend to see if you are gaining, losing, or staying the same.

can't you just use a $10 scale from Target for the same thing? 

I doubt many folks using a distance runner website gain or lose more than 1 pound of muscle in a month or 3-5 pounds over the course of a year. 

Right on Hereford...

The only good way to measure your body fat percentage is to use pinch calipers with a highly trained person to administor the pinch, or to have a hydrostatic test.

Or have a DXA scan, which is the most accurate (and also most expensive) method.

325th place or bust!

I have a scale that shows % body fat so I took it with me when I had my body fat measured by a mobile dunk tank at our fitness center.  Scale showed 16.4%, tank said 19.9%.  Quite a lot of difference.

I can't remember the brand name of the scale, will modify and edit it in later.

PR: 5K 22:41, 10K 51:05, HM 1:59, Sprint Tri: done!

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

We have a scale that measures this but I don't feel it is that accurate it uses BIA.  We also have a scale at LifeTime fitness which is much bigger and fancier looking that does as well.  However, I don't trust either one of them too much. 

More interesting information on fat testing.

http://askthetrainer.com/body-fat-measurement.html

2011 Goals:
                            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                          GST

Or have a DXA scan, which is the most accurate (and also most expensive) method.

heh, don't get DEXA.  It's depressing!  lol

(My dexa scan came up quite a bit higher than hydrostatic weighing and my body fat scale, which were in the same neighborhood.  22% for DEXA vs 15% for hydrostatic vs 15-17 depending on day for Tanita scale)

Seriously, DEXA rocks. So much detailed information! You can even see where you store it (helllo, giant legs)

pre

I know that the scales aren't terribly accurate, but I've used the same scale for over 6 years.  It really helped me about 5 years ago when I had gained about 35 lbs.  I lost the weight and lowered my body fat (according to the scale) from 22% to 13%.  About the same time I bought the scale I called my doctor to schedule a body fat reading.  I was told that I would have to wait 6-12 months.  Sorry, by then, the fat was gone.

I don't worry too much about the daily fat numbers.  I like to see where I'm trending over time.  It--along with cholesterol, blood pressure, and heart rate readings--really gives me a good picture of whether I'm moving toward being more fit, or not.

I've kinda let myself go the past few years and had a TIA last fall, so I'm really watching those numbers.

mbeveridge

At the moment I just record Fat% in the "Notes" field. But if there was a dedicated field I'd use it, especially if it (or a calculated figure for Fat lbs) could show on my 52wk Weight graph