What would you like to see in a race calendar? (Read 202 times)

A cool feature would be to able to book Mark the race and have it show up on your main calendar and him your training plan.

Be able to such for races by distance from you.

Some sort of way to rate this the race.

My biggest problem with race calender is that no matter what you do you have to check multiple list. I wish there was a kayak of running lists.

Orion Goals: 5k 18:30 10K 38:00 Marathon 3:10

I am not asking for which website you use to find races.  Instead, when presented with a race calendar, how would you go about picking out a race?  For example:

• Do you have a particular date and distance in mind, and would find races near that date?
      • Do you scan through the list and see if anything interests you? 
      • Do you prefer a list sorted by date, or a weekly or monthly calendar view? ...

eric Smile

I generally look for

1. Dates when my favorite races are being held this year. (Our statewide calendar comes out in Jan, and it's easy to go through that in one sitting - text, fairly simple with contact info, website, cost, etc. Races sometimes change dates across years and not just adjacent weekends.)

2. While scanning for #1, I look at races that look interesting / new. "Interesting" involves scenery, trails, trip to someplace I haven't been and have wanted to go, hilly but not dangerously technical.

3. After seeing date holes in local calendar after doing 1 & 2, I'll look for races of in certain date range, with certain distance range (or timed race), within a certain distance of where I live or some place I'd like to go.

For instance after discovering a date gap this summer (from early June to late July), I thought this might be the summer to travel to a race, so looked for races (HM or longer) in the Yukon. (didn't find any worth the drive and hassles of border crossings) (decided to just do my own thing somewhere, most likely)

Race distances should be by range since trail races are whatever distance it is between trailheads.

Prefer a list sorted by date, if it's in list format. But if I'm going for geographical location, maps are good, esp. since something might pop up that I wasn't aware of. Hey, that looks like a cool place to visit. (I'm doing some work with maps with pop-up windows for our trail work)

I recognize the way I look for races is probably different than most of RA, but it's too freakin' expensive to get to lower 48 and too hot when down there. Not sure why, but when I think of travelling to a race, it usually involves northern Canada, Iceland, or Fennoscandinavia.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

SheCan

I am not asking for which website you use to find races.  Instead, when presented with a race calendar, how would you go about picking out a race?  For example:

• Do you have a particular date and distance in mind, and would find races near that date?
        • Do you scan through the list and see if anything interests you? 
        • Do you prefer a list sorted by date, or a weekly or monthly calendar view?

eric Smile

Generally I have a particular time frame and area I'm looking through.  I'm willing to drive so many miles for certain races, and less for others.  I'd LOVE to have a road trip calender, where you could find races along particular routes--- not 50 miles from any point, but rather all races within say 20 miles of Hwy 44 all the way across the state or country.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Ostrich runner

Eye candy metric.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Best Present Ever

I would love to be able to search for all races on a date or within a date range, between (x) and (y) length, within (z) number of miles of a certain address.

Yes, this.  I would generally like flexibility to be able to combine the characteristics.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

On the workout page, a way to select a race from the races held on that date (if it's not already found on your training plan).  Also, perhaps a way to browse past RA race reports on a particular race.

Apologies if it's been said already, but ...

One way to get race info is to leverage the terrific community right here.  Create a race entry template(*), let people pull it up, fill in the fields for a particular race, and submit it to The Calendar.  Odds are if anything incorrect is entered, someone else will find it; have a clicky they can use to "Report" (or whatever) and provide the correct info.

(*) -- It can be fairly streamlined -- I don't know how comprehensive you're imagining your race entries to be.  I'd be fine with as little as:

• event name;
                • event date;
                • event time;
                • event distance (radio boxes if multiple distances available);
                • start location (full address, city/state, or just zipcode).

All of that can be culled from a race's website or a calendar site.  And it's usually enough for me to know if I want to look into that event further, or keep searching for something else.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

keeponrunning

What I like about the site I use is it's very comprehensive and allows me to mark races I'm interested in (and will then have them highlighted so I can spot them easily).  It also links to the race website and past results, which is very nice.

One thing not on my current site is if it marks on your log which races you're running Smile.  Also, user feedback on individual races sounds like a great idea!

The only other concern has already been covered, how would you get the data?  I can tell you a couple sites in Canada if you want to use external links to bring in the data, although I'll admit I don't know their API's or whateveryoucallit.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022