Is it possible to approach my PRs from 7-8 yrs ago? (Read 300 times)

pineyfriend

Hello all,

So when I was 18, just graduated from high school, I was running my fastest 5K times ever.  Certainly not at an elite level, but usually in the low 17 minute range -- I think my PR was actually like 17:23.  Where I'm from that was good enough for usually placing top 5 in any given cross country race. I was an 800m runner in track, breaking 2 minutes more than a few times.

So my question is --- fast forward 8 years later to now when I'm 26 and wanting to get back into running again.  What's your opinion: is it physically possible for me to ever see times like that again?  Should I even hope for that goal? I've been running off and on since high school, but more like 90% "off." As I started running again in July I usually stay in the 9-10 mile pace on my easy runs.  Back in high school 6-7 minute miles were easy and 9-10 would have been unheard of...lol.

So just wondering everyone's thoughts on this.

Many thanks!

Latent Runner

As usual, it all depends...

That said, I briefly returned to running in my late 20s, and after a year of consistent work I was able to best my high school times.  By the time I returned to running again in my mid 30s, my days of a 16 minute 5K were gone (although that may have had more to do with my work load than age).

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
      • 2-mile: 13:49
      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
      • 5-Mile: 37:24
      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13

Feeling the growl again

LOL, but not in a mean way.  Man, you're in your 20s.  This is distance running.  As long as you haven't totally let yourself go, you should be able to break your 5K times.  The 800m would be harder (and your 800m was far superior).

I ran my best times at age 28 (15:18 5K vs 17:01 at age 18), and it was not getting older that slowed me down after that.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

pineyfriend

Well that's all good news that it's still within reach!  But I suppose I'll need to be consistent with my training for at least a year before I have a chance to break those PRs.  That's always hindered me in the past...consistency.

Yes, go for it and keep at it.  You might surprise yourself! 

Well that's all good news that it's still within reach!  But I suppose I'll need to be consistent with my training for at least a year before I have a chance to break those PRs.  That's always hindered me in the past...consistency.

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

rmcj001

At 25, you haven't hit your peak yet.  That should come around 29!  If Chris MacDougall is correct, your long distances times at 19 are possible until around 63 years old.  You should have been physically more capable at 19 then 18.  So, you should have a good 38 years to improve.  Sure hope this is correct, I'm still hoping for some more PRs with my remaining 8 years....

Ray

Feeling the growl again

If Chris MacDougall is correct, your long distances times at 19 are possible until around 63 years old.  

He's not.  If he really said that.  I don't know a single runner who has done that.  I know a lot of long time runners.  Some have held pretty steady into their late 30s, but all had some degree of slowdown by their early 40s with a much more significant decline by 50.

Even Mr. Ageless himself, Bernard Lagat, while still very good, is not as fast as he was when much younger.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

What the others have already said.  The only PRs I have not been able to better since finishing college have been the 800, 1500, and the mile (although that one was within a second).

The best way to get fast in your 20s and 30s is putting in your time.  Consistency is always your friend and will help you become much more resistant to getting hurt.  90% of your running is usually easy mileage anyway, so focus on that with one longer run and one more intense day to sharpen the sword, so to speak.  I thought I would likely be done with being competitive once I got married, but found that I can handle a much higher workload and I am much better at the mental aspect behind racing.

In the words of Jumbo Elliott, "live like a clock" and have a set routine.  If you can get in a run at 7:00 before work, run at 7:00 before work.  That kind of routine will help develop your consistency and you will find that you will get fit very quickly (even off of easy base mileage) given that you have the background as a competitive athlete as well.

Still kicking

I've been running since High School, yet peaked and ran all my competitive PR's between the ages of 31 and 36.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

an amazing likeness

So my question is --- fast forward 8 years later to now when I'm 26 and wanting to get back into running again.  What's your opinion: is it physically possible for me to ever see times like that again?  Should I even hope for that goal?

No. You're screwed. It's all downhill. One day you wake up and 20 years have gone by...and you're happy to just be able to get off your butt and suck some oxygen.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

No. You're screwed. It's all downhill. One day you wake up and 20 years have gone by...and you're happy to just be able to get off your butt and suck some oxygen.

True story.

Dave

26 years old?  Still running?  I can't imagine such a thing let alone reaching your peak from when your body still hadn't fully matured at 17.

I can barely sit up to type this.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

There is a point in your life when all you can do is go out for your runs, enjoy them and remember when you used to be fast.......

OF course, Im 62 and not 26, so that time has come for me, but for you - NO WAY.......IF you train properly and eat right you should be able to beat those times no problem.....

Champions are made when no one is watching

mikeymike

In May of 2004, at age 34, I ran 17:00 for 5k. That remained my PR for 9 years and 10 months--and not for a lack of trying--until March of this year when I ran 16:59.44 on a certified course at age 44.

So yeah its possible. You're 26, ffs.

Runners run

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm 41 and am demolishing PRs I set 7 years ago -- even though I'm probably 10#s heavier.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay