Adjusting for incline (Read 1058 times)

How about something that adjusts pace for incline. I'm injured and stuck doing everything at a 4-5% incline. I go by heartrate and it's (nominally) slow going. I know that Daniels converts, but it's sporadic. A calculator would be cool.
      Here are two good webpages. One is a calculator and the other is a magazine article. http://runworks.com/calculator.html http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/print.asp?id=10507 Summary: Every 1% upgrade slows your pace 3.3% Every 1% downgrade speeds your pace 55% of 3.3% = 1.8% If you do a 10 min mile at 5% incline, its equivalent to 8:30 pace on flat. If my math is right (?) based on the magazine article summary. Runworks gives a different result. Uphill equivalent Pace = Actual Pace / (1.033 ^ incline%) Downhill equivalent Pace = Actual Pace * (1.018 ^ incline%) In this case: Pace = 10 / (1.033^5) = 8.50 8 @ 5% ~ 6.8 min/mi 9 @ 5% ~ 7.65 min/mi 10 @ 5% ~ 8.5 min/mi 11 @5% ~ 9.35 min/mi 12 @5%~ 10.2 min/mi 13 @5% ~ 11 min/mi
        ahh, cool
        eric :)

Thanks Ryno! There was an issue of RT that talked about effects of elevation that I meant to keep. Somehow, that particular issue was lost in my stack of magazines and I couldn't find it again. Now I can do something interesting with the info. eric Smile
          Kenotic Runner

Being one who enjoys Colorado mountain trail running, I would suggest the formulas might only work within a specific range of inclines.
              Eric- The link I posted above talks about elevation, probably the same one you are referring to. Here it is again. http://runningtimes.com/rt/articles/print.asp?id=10507
                Being one who enjoys Colorado mountain trail running, I would suggest the formulas might only work within a specific range of inclines.
                Being one who enjoys southern california trail running, I would agree. These formulas are probably good up to 5 or 6% grades on asphalt. After that, from experience, the steeper grades knock down your pace quite a bit. There is a 3 mile 10% grade fireroad that I do quite often and I can never go any faster than about a 11 min/ mile working as hard as I can. Running back down, a 6:15 pace feels like an easy jog.
                  I'm only interested in treadmill conversions, so this calculator is perfect. For example, now I know that running at 5 mph and 4% incline is kinda like 6 mph outside. I wish the calculator would let you put in mph rather than pace, but beggars can't be choosers, eh?
                    You have to remember that you don't have wind resistance when running on a treadmill. Most literature equates a 1% grade on a treadmill to flat outside.
                      You have to remember that you don't have wind resistance when running on a treadmill. Most literature equates a 1% grade on a treadmill to flat outside.
                      Got it. The calculator controls for that. For example, I wanted to estimate the speed that I'd have to run to achieve the equivalent of 7:15/min pace outside. The calculator estimates that you would have to run at 6:57 pace on a flat treadmill, 7:14 pace at 1% incline, and at 8:28 at 5% incline. It's handy for those of us who need inclines for knee issues.
                      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

This calculator allows you to make comparisons based on incline (as well as temperature, wind speed, altitude, elevation profile) MTA: oops, I see that one was already cited up above. Carry on...

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.