New to running - need advice :) (Read 630 times)

Witchkizzle

Hey!

I just started a C25K program and I don't feel like it is pushing me very much.

I am doing this program with the goal of running the entire distance of a 5k in early February. From there I would love to keep pushing my times lower on the 5k while building up for longer runs.

I'm not sure if those two can go together (lowering times and increasing distance) but I see a lot of people who do a lot of different types of runs.

Anyway, about me a little:

6 foot 180 pounds, 25 years old, minimally active.

I randomly will do bike rides with my mom when she trains for 150+ mile, 2 day rides, and can easily do about a 20-25 mile ride with her. I do maybe one of those a month. I also play on a slow-pitch softball team with my company for about 6 weeks a year. So while I don't do it often, I can do some good physical activity when I need to.

My problem is this:

I feel like I could be doing a little more with my runs. Maybe more runs per week, or more distance per run. I'm not sure. The C25K program only has me running/walking 30 minutes 3 days a week and I feel like I want to just go out and run more often or farther. Maybe On the "off" days on the program I could just do an open run or maybe try to run 5k to set a base time or something.

Should I just stick to the program and trust it will have me ready? Anyone else in the same boat?

If you feel too easy, you can switch to a more advanced plan. I use one of the runningplanet plan for my first 5k.

http://www.runningplanet.com/training/5K-training.html

Maybe you can try "Your First 5K race" plan. However, don't push yourself too hard to get injury. If you feel too tired to continue the plan, slow down a bit.

People say once you build your base (run a long distance in a slow pace), your speed will be faster. I certainly have benefited that philosophy.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

MrH

C25K is intended to provide a path for someone with just about no athletic experience to complete a 5k. It's a deliberately conservative approach.

If you are in reasonable shape and already do 25 mile bike rides you may well be in physical shape to comfortably run every day, or much more than the C5k program prescribes.

I was pretty inactive for many years and one day started running for an hour a day. I survived. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

JML

Although you are probably reasonably fit from an aerobic standpoint given your other activities, be careful of falling prey to “too much too soon”.   When I restarted running after an 18 year break, I immediately went out for a nice easy 6 miler just like I used to run when I was in shape.  I woke up the following day and was reminded that I am not unbreakable. 

After a few days of recovery, I then started C25K.  I followed the plan exactly which was definitely a more intelligent way to get my muscles and tendons reacquainted with the physical stress of running.  Like you, I wondered if it was too easy at times but I ultimately came to understand that you need to ease into running if you want it to be a (relatively) injury free hobby.  4 years later…..I am still running…getting faster…going longer.

FWIW – My advice is to follow the plan and see how you feel at the end of the training cycle.  If you want more activity in the meantime, stick to the bike.

Good luck

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Witchkizzle

Although you are probably reasonably fit from an aerobic standpoint given your other activities, be careful of falling prey to “too much too soon”.   When I restarted running after an 18 year break, I immediately went out for a nice easy 6 miler just like I used to run when I was in shape.  I woke up the following day and was reminded that I am not unbreakable. 

After a few days of recovery, I then started C25K.  I followed the plan exactly which was definitely a more intelligent way to get my muscles and tendons reacquainted with the physical stress of running.  Like you, I wondered if it was too easy at times but I ultimately came to understand that you need to ease into running if you want it to be a (relatively) injury free hobby.  4 years later…..I am still running…getting faster…going longer.

FWIW – My advice is to follow the plan and see how you feel at the end of the training cycle.  If you want more activity in the meantime, stick to the bike.

Good luck

Thanks for all the responses!

This is what I'm afraid of. I feel like it might be a good idea to get my ankles, knees, hips, heck even my elbows, all time to get used to this new event that they are having to carry me through.

I think you were right on about sticking to the bike if I'm looking for an aerobic challenge until I can build up my body a bit more.

Also, I guess I may have jumped the gun a little bit. I mean, I've only gone through 1 week of the program. I'm sure it starts to pick up from here.

Here is another question:

I usually go with my wife, but her pace and stride is much slower/shorter than mine.

I think I was trying to keep my same stride but match her pace initially. I think this cause me to "bounce" or "bound" when I ran and was harder on my knees and ankles. Last night I went with my dad and his pace was similar to hers, and I tried to shorten my stride and found it was much more enjoyable.

I don't want to plod around when i'm running, but don't want to leave my wife way behind. Anyone else struggle with this balance? Is it better to shorten your stride or keep your longer stride and lower your pace?

Shorten your stride, perhaps also reduce the turnover, but primarily shorten your stride.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CT JEFF

Sounds like you got some good advice on the C25K training. I know that when I started running, my problem was pacing. It still is my main problem. You want to be able to run fast, because it really feels great, but you have to build up muscles / tendons etc over time so that you dont cause an injury. Constant balance. After some time, maybe your runs with your wife will end up being "fun runs" with a shorter stride and maybe you need to go out on your own to find your own pace. Just my thoughts.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

NEW PROBLEM- NEED ADVICE

I am not on any specific diet. I avoid pasta often and starches, but mostly, I eat what I want. I also try to limit sugar, but I am drinking a coffee with sugar as I type. The problem. I am back up to my 9+ mile per run distance again. I havent felt this way in some time, but I remember it from December. I feel like crap. I mean, after running, Im feeling drained. Today, I ended up having 24 oz of milk (carbs) some blueberries and finally a coffee with cream and sugar. The last one got me moving again. Not sure if Im over-running, or under-fueling. Or if this is just to be expected. But Id like to feel more like I do right now (after 1.5 coffee and some carbs).

What is causing this, and what do you recommend?

One last detail. I sweat a lot! I try to push myself and then rest, and then push. I had about 20 oz of water/sportsdrink that I finished around mile 8 today. I like a bit of water, otherwise the sportsdrink makes me feel phlegmy. Thanks in advance all.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

an amazing likeness

Your body has plenty of onboard reserves for a 9 mile run without needing a special diet before, during or after your run. If you're feeling wiped out from the run, look to the run itself -- it's too fast, too long, or too many of your weekly miles in one event. Here's a test...if it's food energy related, having a spoon of peanut butter or something else highly energy dense will make you feel better almost immediately.

MTA: If your running pattern is what is in your training plan -- then you will feel wiped out after each run...looks like you're running 9mi 3x per week with nothing much in between. You just need to run more often and less distance right now until you get some miles under your belt.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CT JEFF

MilkTruck-

Thank you, great advice. Some others recommended having a small bowl of cereal before the run. I normally like running on an empty stomach - Havent had any bathroom emergencies when running with this system. But my plan is to work up to 26.2, so I know there will be some changes needed over time. I will try the PB solution, and if that doesnt help, I'll just keep with my training plan. I was running 35 miles/ week early December at my peak, and am just getting back to that level now after a few weeks of 0 miles per. Plan is to keep at 9 miles this week, and at least hit 10 miles one day next week. As a week-to-week percentage, thats much less steep than my past couple weeks.

Jeff CT - I agree with MilkTruck and would add a few more thoughts:

1. You mentioned that you had increased your mileage steeply over the past few weeks. I would first suggest you cut your mileage back a bit and then slowly build up again. It seems like you're trying to jump into a 40 mile week after taking a few weeks off after a 35 mile week.

2. You mentioned that 9+ mile runs were hard for you before your break. If they were "too hard" for you then, then I don't see how taking a few weeks off would make them any easier. I would cut back your long run by a mile or so and see how it feels. 

3. You mentioned that you "push yourself and then rest, and then push." I would try running most of your runs at an easy pace and limit this type of running to just once a week (to start with at least). 

Hopefully you find some of that helpful. Good luck. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

NHLA

Most plans feel too easy when you start and get harder as you go. I skip the first 3-4 weeks of most plans but never overdo at the end.

I am not a 3 run a week fan. I tried the Ferman plan and had terrible racing year. I would find a plan with 5-6 days per week running.

Eat before you run. Your body stores enough energy to run 10 miles without eating but you will feel like crap when you get thru.

Mix it up. One long run 9+ miles, one tempo run 4-6 miles, and 3 miles of speed-work. Then two recovery runs 3-4 miles a week. Just add one mile a week to long run. Eventually add some extra miles to recovery runs.

Rome was not built in a day.

CT JEFF

Most plans feel too easy when you start and get harder as you go. I skip the first 3-4 weeks of most plans but never overdo at the end.

I am not a 3 run a week fan. I tried the Ferman plan and had terrible racing year. I would find a plan with 5-6 days per week running.

Eat before you run. Your body stores enough energy to run 10 miles without eating but you will feel like crap when you get thru.

Mix it up. One long run 9+ miles, one tempo run 4-6 miles, and 3 miles of speed-work. Then two recovery runs 3-4 miles a week. Just add one mile a week to long run. Eventually add some extra miles to recovery runs.

Rome was not built in a day.

Thanks everyone. This week, instead of doing another 9+, I went for (2) 5+ runs. no negative effects with no other changes.

Thanks NHLA, I remember hearing that first part, "...enough to run 10 miles" - never heard the 2nd part until now, "...but you will feel like crap"

Also, thanks for the idea to Mix it up. Part of me liked hitting every run like it was a distance goal, but I like getting more runs in as well. Not sure Im doing it all right, but I'll get there. Also- my Gels came in today! I'll be trying those.

CT JEFF

NEW QUESTION:   I bought some GU gels and on the top it says "15 every 45" From the icons, Im guessing they are recommending 15oz of fluids for every 45min of exertion. I cant say that I have even been close to this, but my milage has mostly been under 10K. Also, I find that 1/2 water 1/2 sportsdrink makes me less phlegmy during a run. I am running a FULL in the Spring.

What is your optimal hydration method?

Dream Maker

Edited: didn't see original date