2013 New York City Marathon Thread (Read 601 times)

Well that did not go very well.  I ended up running 14, but my last 8 miles were much slower than I wanted.  I felt great going into the run. The temp was 73, but the due point was 70.  I can probably point to several reasons for the poor run, including humidity, tough rolling hills and not enough time between long runs, but I think my biggest mistake was setting a goal pace that was too aggressive.  Perhaps, I will be able to hold a pace like this by November, but I can't do it now.  I will dial back my expectations for my next mile pace run.  Hopefully that will work out better.

I think that's a realistic goal for November. It seems ambitious to run what (I take to be) a MP workout at your very recent HM race pace.

You might want to check out McMillan's calculator. You can enter both a recent race time and your goal race time. It could shed light on good training paces for now.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ymmv

Julia, are you doing any tune-up races this fall? I'm signed up for the Parks Half Marathon and the Navy-Air Force Half, both in September. The Navy-Air Force Half only started last year. It is much like the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run but with an extra run up Beach Drive and back. Check my log last year for course maps, if you are not familiar with them.

Julia1971

Julia, are you doing any tune-up races this fall? I'm signed up for the Parks Half Marathon and the Navy-Air Force Half, both in September. The Navy-Air Force Half only started last year. It is much like the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run but with an extra run up Beach Drive and back. Check my log last year for course maps, if you are not familiar with them.

I'm definitely planning on doing Parks.  I have to defend my master's title. Big grin.  (Tell your fast friends to run something else that weekend).  But, the rest is up for grabs.  I really want to do the Army Ten Miler but I feel like it might be too close to race day.  I've really grown to love that race since 9/11.  I feel so patriotic and proud of our troops for weeks after.  But, it's 2 weeks out from NYCM.  But, I'll think about running the race of the two branches of the service that probably do the least amount of running.  Wink

Julia1971

Week 2.  Not a bad week.  I think my endurance is gradually coming back and the heat doesn't feel quite as intolerable.  I had my first MP run today - 17 miles w/8 @ MP.  I wasn't quite sure what MP would be for me mostly due to the heat.  My MP runs last summer were disasters - I cut most of them short and didn't hit my goal pace until September.  I ran most of them at about 8:50 pace.  But, I managed a very consistent 8:35 pace today.  AND, I finished the 17 miles...  The week ahead looks tough - a tempo run and two pretty lengthy medium runs.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Finished Week 2 with 16 miles with the last 4 @ fast (as fast as I could).  It was a cold 77-82F today (compared to the 87-95F of last week), so I ran better and faster than my prior LR.  Good stuff.

Finished the week with 52 miles unless hubby wants to run later tonight.

Have a great Week of training, all!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

TakeAHike

I finished week 2 fairly well after a rough mile pace run mid-week that I already mentioned.  I swapped the MLR and LR, so I ended up doing just 10 hilly miles on Saturday, which felt pretty good.  I ended up with 40, which is a pretty comfortable amount for me now. This week will be challenging with the oppressive heat.  I am back in the NYC suburbs and it is HOT here.  I will be doing early morning and late night runs to avoid the heat.

Julia - Nice job with your MP run.  It sounds like you chose the right pace for the weather conditions. I like your idea of splitting the tempos into 3 increasingly fast segments. I may try that when my tempos get longer than 4 miles.

Nader - I have spent a lot of time with the various pace calculators.  In the end, I tend to err on the side of optimism.  My 5k predicts a time of 3:15.  My HM predicts a time of 3:22. And 2 x HM + 20min predicts a time of 3:32.  If my training goes well, sub-3:30 is probably attainable, but I probably should not aim for 3:15.  We'll see.  I will dial back the next MP run to about 8 min/miles and see how that goes. Thanks for the advice.

Docket - While 77 does not qualify as cold around here, I am glad you got some decent running weather.  Nice job getting your miles in.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I'm in week 9 of a 24-week Running Wizard plan and the last couple of weeks have been pretty brutal due to the weather. Skimming this thread, I see that I am not alone! This is the longest training plan I have used; before I started training around 18 weeks out, so it's been interesting. This first phase is mostly focused on aerobic base building so I have been logging a good deal of miles (50-60 mpw). I have done this much mileage before, but not as consistently so I am hoping it will pay off in November.

I am hoping for a sub-4:00 finish. The RW plan predicts 3:47 (not likely I'm thinking) and anything faster than 3:57 would be a PR for me. I think the NYC course is fairly demanding with the number of runners and the hills in the last 5 miles (yes, they are small hills, but not welcome then) so I'd be happy with anything around 4:00.

Like many of you, I am waking up at 5:00 am to do my runs but am still dripping puddles when done. I keep hoping the weather will change, but it looks bad for the rest of the week.

Hang in there, everyone!

Dad, Runner, Programmer

Hi fellow future 2013 NYC Marathon Finishers!

I don't know how I missed this thread, I guess I haven't been browsing the forums as much recently. Anyways, I am in for 2013. I got in with the 3 strikes and in this time.

I just started Pfitzinger 18/55. I originally wanted to do 18/70 but I didn't end up getting my base where I wanted it to be before I started.

Easy goal:  PR which is 3:37

Medium goal: < 3:30

Hard goal: <3:20

Crazy Hard goal: <3:10 (BQ, this is really, really super unlikely)

This humidity is killing me on the long runs. I have no idea what I'm going to do for my marathon pace runs when its this bad outside. I am thinking of going based on my HR because I know my pace will be like a minute off.

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

Docket_Rocket

dbilenkin, I would adjust for weather instead of attempting a straight MP run.  Something like MP +10% might help you when the temps are above 80F.

I don't have a goal for this one as it's my third in a month, but no asthma attack like last time is my real goal.  Maybe beating that time when I ran it.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

Here's an interesting calculator to determine your pace reduction based on heat. I don't know how reliable it is, but it looks like a good estimate. This could be useful in adjusting your training pace times in hot weather.

http://runnersconnect.net/training/tools/temperature-calculator/

Dad, Runner, Programmer

So I guess for the time being, just so I don't forget to make a choice by the end of this month, I'm taking the bus from the Meadowlands at 5 - 6 am, which I guess means I should leave my house at like 4 am?! (I live just north of Princeton) Don't think I'm going to be getting much sleep that night. I guess it'll be a long morning. It would be nice to know someone who is doing the same because I don't know anyone in real life who will be at the race. I know its still so far away, but making these choices and starting training is getting me really excited!

2015 Goal:For now, keep running!

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

So I guess for the time being, just so I don't forget to make a choice by the end of this month, I'm taking the bus from the Meadowlands at 5 - 6 am, which I guess means I should leave my house at like 4 am?! (I live just north of Princeton) Don't think I'm going to be getting much sleep that night. I guess it'll be a long morning. It would be nice to know someone who is doing the same because I don't know anyone in real life who will be at the race. I know its still so far away, but making these choices and starting training is getting me really excited!

I don't know if this is any more convenient for you but the Jersey Shore Running Club runs a bus from New Jersey. They pick up at a couple of spots in NJ. Here is the link:

http://register.boardwalkrelay.org/search/event.aspx?id=21136

My concern about the bus from the Meadowlands is that there is no transportation back to NJ. I'm taking a running club bus so that I can just get on the bus at the end and go home without the hassle of negotiating public transportation. Also, I can leave warm clothes on the bus and have them at the end instead of checking a bag.

Julia1971

Welcome!

I just added you to the big board and put you down for sub-3:30 for now.

Yeah, the humidity is something else.  I retreated to the treadmill today.  It was monotonous but it was nice running closer to my goal training paces for a change.

Hi fellow future 2013 NYC Marathon Finishers!

I don't know how I missed this thread, I guess I haven't been browsing the forums as much recently. Anyways, I am in for 2013. I got in with the 3 strikes and in this time.

I just started Pfitzinger 18/55. I originally wanted to do 18/70 but I didn't end up getting my base where I wanted it to be before I started.

Easy goal:  PR which is 3:37

Medium goal: < 3:30

Hard goal: <3:20

Crazy Hard goal: <3:10 (BQ, this is really, really super unlikely)

This humidity is killing me on the long runs. I have no idea what I'm going to do for my marathon pace runs when its this bad outside. I am thinking of going based on my HR because I know my pace will be like a minute off.

meaghansketch

Looks like everyone's getting a good start to their training cycles!  I skipped my long run last weekend (vacation with family)  but I'm planning on 16 this Saturday.  We're in a bit of a heat wave here so I've been moving my 'quality' days to the treadmill, though I've kept my easy runs outside.  I'm entering phase 2 of my training plan, which means starting tempo-pace workouts.  I've got 2x1 mile on the treadmill scheduled for this afternoon/evening.  My T pace should be right around 8:00 but it's been a long time since I've done any workouts at that pace... it's a little scary.  Happy/safe training everyone!

lagwagon

Wow, hot day today.

Plan called for 9 mi with a 4mi tempo.  But the dewpoint hit 77(!) by the time I was done at 8am.  Of course I didnt help myself by staying at the bar until 1am last night and waking up hungover (but I'm on vacation and it was "dads' night out" last night)

The tempo was rough.  On a good day I'd aim for 6:30 pace or faster, but decided to back off a little and hit (roughly) 6:40, 6:50, 6:55, 6:35.  Small victory, but I was very happy to (a) finish and (b) not give up that last mile (which was very tempting).

I'm not disappointed given the conditions, esp. since I had a few good workouts over the last week.  I nailed (overdid?) my 8 mile MP run on Saturday with average 6:45 miles on a slightly cooler day.  Followed that with a strong med-long run a couple days ago.

All in all, if training continues to go well I might lower my goal.  For now, I plan to dial back the pace on the next few runs so maybe I can race a decent 5k next week.

See y'all in week 4!