New Running App (Read 756 times)

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Tornado262

Tornado262

Sounds like a great app.  When trying to find a race I do the normal filter of the type of race (ie 5K or 10K) and date but then I like to know how many runners where there last year.  If I'm trying for PR I would rather have a larger race (just not too large) than a small 150 person race where I might be running a good part of the race by myself.  I like Mendeldave's idea of listing the wining times overall and AG.

I like this site..

http://raceraves.com/racer/home/

Raceraves is great. I have actually talked with the owners of their site. Problem is they aren't going to build an app which I think makes things a million times easier than having to get on a computer and look at the page.  I guess you can see their page through the phone too.  They actually talked about being involved with my app and i'm I may let them.  Going to see how it goes..thank you!!

This sounds cool. I'd download and use it. I use what seems like a dozen different websites to find races, especially if I'm travelling but also just for local stuff. Something all in one would be good.
           Can one register for a race through it? That would be handy. You might even be able to get a cut of the $$ that way. I assume you'll need to monetize it somehow.
           Can you somehow link it with Athlinks? I use that one to track the races I've done, you might find races for your app that way.
           It would also be cool if your app showed local races and then you could tap something to see past results. Particularly if you were trying to cherry pick a race for a win or an AG place. Might be cool if it showed X race in your area and you could click on results and maybe filter that way.
           But really, I'd primarily want it for an easy, all-in-one location to find races.
           It would be cool if it had a user calendar too, so you could save the races you might want to do, and flag which ones you've already registered. In that case, it would be nice if it could integrate with my google calendar.
           Good luck. Let us know when it's live!

Very interesting comments!! Yes that is great about the flagging of races you might want to do.  I am looking into getting the athlinks data, the problem is with chronotrack just buying them out. I don't know how cheap that would be. Not sure they are willing to share that data for no fee.  But I might aggregate all the data I get and put of results of all the races that are on my site. That would be very similar to athlinks.  I use athlinks myself but again, they don't have every race I ran only the data that they can get from different API's and race results they manually enter.   You will be able to manually enter any small and local race so that it's not overlooked.  Also yes you will be able to register through this site.  And yes they do offer referral bonuses for that...thank you for offering that information but yes I was definitely all over that one!! Please keep in touch and I will be posting very shortly the release of this app. Should be within the next 30 days!

As most have pointed out, the market can be cornered by someone who has a complete set of data.  The App's usability isn't really the problem here.  Just a website with a reliably full set of data, where you could see a calendar of races for a particular city would quickly get community backing.

Reviews and "add your own races" are nice, but you won't get them unless the data is there.

Build it and they will come.

I certainly will.

Good luck.

Thank you.  Yes, as much as I want this to be huge and make money and corner the market, I have been running since I was 10 years old and I have seen a flaw in a few things with running. Mostly the lack of an all race website.  There's just so many out there and depending on the timing group in your local community or race management site, you may have to look at 3-5 different sites to find one race.  Especially if you are looking for a new race and not one that you run on a yearly basis.  Thanks for you feedback!!

We have 4-5 weeks left and the application will be launch!!

Run-America.com is live and the app will be out within the next week.  The website needs to be viewed on the computer, laptop or tablet for now and the mobile view is still being adjusted to fit your phone.  Of course the app will be used over the website anyway.  IF you want to review a race and don't see it, please list or add a new race or create a new event via the event maintenance section.   Thanks for viewing and having patience while this has been built.

Web site is returning some pretty bizarre results. Seems like maybe it's scraping some pretty limited data. (i.e. only races from Active registration).

And the "See More" button doesn't return more results, just the same ones.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Ntown Kevin,

The website is pulling all the races that are on runsignup.com and active.com for now.  Even though 300K races are in there it's not that many over the scope of the entire USA. I am going to be relying on people in remote locations and smaller cities to add a lot of races or let Run-America have access to their API so that we can get all their local races implemented.. Thanks for the heads up!

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Meh. The user interface is ~1998 and the data in the website is not very well curated or up to date. The first marathon profile I randomly selected is missing a load of information that has been out for weeks, and a lot of what is there is a bit misleading.

http://www.findmymarathon.com

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

What about ultrasignup? It has some good races.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

A very pretty and nice site. But the random race I randomly looked up had some incorrect info on their profile page.

I like this site..

http://raceraves.com/racer/home/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

You can rely on Trent to be your random race generator.

The very first race I looked up was not listed.

Trent what race were you looking for.  Are they listed on active.com or run signup.com   Right now those are the only two API's I pulled in for races.  I am working on marathon guide and athlinks for the results.  This site is a work in progress and I appreciate the heads  up on some of these issues.  What area are you located and what race were you looking for>?   Can you add the race via our race maintenance and that way I can see how that is showing up on your end??