Marathon training question (Read 1981 times)

kaneb80

You're getting a lot of good advice here.

I'd recommend selecting a book by a generally accepted author (Lydiard, Hudson/Fitzgerald, Pfitzinger).  Read it in its entirety to understand the coach's thinking.  Then commit to one of the plans in the back of the book, adapting it to your life and based on the feedback from your body.

If you look at Hudson's training plans, for example, you'll get a picture of how 20-mile runs fit into the bigger training picture.

Last year, my training was all over the place.  I ran a big PR, but that was merely a function of running a lot.  Had I been more focused, perhaps I would have done better.  

Yes, very good books are: Run Faster and Advanced Marathoning with marathon training schedules in them...you can click on the links and read a small portion of them for free.

Or maybe it's just that simple.  Running a marathon...Run alot of miles.  No need to worry about a training plan with certain mileage each week.  Just get out and run.  If the body feels tired, or you're not there mentally one week, back off the mileage to give the body and mind a break and come back strong the next week.

All due respect, I beg to differ.  Of course, that's what us damn coaches would tell you to create this illusion that coaches are worth something and we know something that others don't. ;o)

Years ago when Nike had (still do) that "Just Do It" campaign, ASICS came up with a T-shirt that, on the front, read "Don't Just Do It..." and on the back, it goes; "...Do It Right!"  I buy that.  You can just run and run and run and not think anything about it and you get fit alright.  But if you are actually interested in "performance" or improving your times, you may want to put in some thought into what you do.

In my opinion, OP is already heading to doing too much too hard.  She's already doing 3-hours at her marathon pace; doing an hour and a half to 2-hours close to her half marathon pace just about every weekend.  And you suggest her to do more?  Well...!  I think she's already at the stage where she "just get out and run".  Perhaps some "thinking" and "structure" may help IF that's what she wants.

Shoe

All due respect, I beg to differ.  Of course, that's what us damn coaches would tell you to create this illusion that coaches are worth something and we know something that others don't. ;o)

Whatever. We don't need coaches; we have SmartCoach.

And I'm sure if I ran the 120-160 miles a week for 8 months with plenty at high intensity it recommended, I would be running the under 3:10 goal it gave me at my next goal marathon if I was still running at that point.   Wink 

Feeling the growl again

Well, coaches are overrated.  Good coaches are under-rated.  Too bad there are not more good coaches.

My HS coach taught me to run a 5K so that I had to slow down 30sec each mile.  Heh.  But he also taught me to love running so I give him a pass.

My college coach didn't  believe in more than 40-50 mpw so I never got very far under him.  But he did not have the depth on the team to handle having people injured and he taught me to work harder than ever before. 

My first pro coach taught me a lot of good workouts...he was a good guy and a good coach...but phone coaching has its limitations...he moved on to other things.

My second pro coach was GREAT at writing plans, but terrible at actually looking at the results and adjusting.

Good coaches are great.  But you don't necessarily NEED a coach.  However Nobby is right, structure is good.  It does not have to be rigid and inflexible, but you have to know when you are going to do a workout and when you are going to run easy.  You have to mix a rational set of workouts in the right places.

For the average runner, a coach is of lesser value because the 80/20 rule comes into play and if you get this 80% right you will improve beyond your wildest dreams...this 80% is pretty simple.  However once you reach a certain level, you either have to know what you are doing or have a coach who does.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xor

Whatever. We don't need coaches; we have SmartCoach.

I see what you did there.

Lots of the folks who post here may or may not know about SmartCoach or some of its special qualities.

jpdeaux

Just missed getting in on a local one in Wakefield, MA on 7/28.  Thanks! Smile

You might not have missed. Read my PM. Quickly.

rebelrace

I just signed up for REBEL RACE Indiana at www.rebelrace.com on 9/24…can’t wait to run the 15k through military style obstacles and crawl in the mud!  My girlfriend’s crazier than I am- she’s doing the 15k!  This will be an awesome hardcore workout…muscle confusion and cardio at the same time! I already started training.    This will help me with my marathon training.   Is anybody else going to the race?