Potassium (Read 738 times)

heather85

So, I read that it's really hard for people to not get enough of this in their diet and that deficiency is very rare.

However, I've been logging my food for the last two weeks - only one day with processed food (pizza one night).  Vegetables are the cornerstone and it's generally pretty balanced except I don't care for most dairy too much.  I'll have greek yogurt twice a week, and a little goat cheese each day, but that's it.   Most my vitamins are easily well over 100% from whole foods.  It is reduced calorie, as well.

Potassium however, I can't seem to get much above half my daily value any day for the last two weeks.

Does supplementation make sense?  Does anyone have any experience with this?

#artbydmcbride

Eating any beans?  Nuts?

Runners run

heather85

Eating any beans?  Nuts?

Hmm, in the last two weeks I've had lentils but no beans or nuts.  I tried  sunflower seeds in a bid to get potassium but I just couldn't do it.  Stomach turned knots just trying.   It looks like my main sources have been spinach, tomatoes, and arugula. 

Feeling the growl again

Bananas?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Many years ago my grandmother was hospitalized for what turned out to be a potassium deficiency. After she recovered, her ongoing prescription was a banana a day. It worked.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Bananas?

Be nice. She asked an honest question. No need to call her names.

Feeling the growl again

Be nice. She asked an honest question. No need to call her names.

Hey, I was being sincere.  Ilene already called her nuts.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yeah, but we kinda expect that out of ilene. 

A Saucy Wench

I'm so confused.  The banner ad right in this thread tells me that bananas are among the 5 foods I must NEVER eat!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

keeponrunning

I eat a banana a day and maintain a healthy weight, so that ad confuses me too...

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Imminent Catastrophe

All I know is, Khazakhstan Number One Exporter of Potassium

All other countries have inferior potassium

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

heather85

I could add a banana each day, though it looks like that would be 420 mg, so I'd still be very short every day.  I'm short by an average of 1800 mg a day for what the logging program says I should eat.  (4600 mg)  Which would take 4 bananas and some other, which would add a lot more Calories than I have room for.  (Using dietpower)

Also, this thread was funnier than I expected Smile

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

With the diet you describe (heavy on veggies), I'd find it surprising if your potassium intake were inadequate, no matter what spaniel calls you.

JOOI  what does a typical daily menu look like for you? 

Dried fruits,  avocadoes, seeds and nuts, beans, fish, potatoes (mostly in the skin). Also dried herbs and paprika/chilli powder are pretty high but you can't eat a lot of those in one meal...

If all else fails eat some chocolate - that's got plenty of potassium Smile

Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless you have some symptoms that can reasonably be explained by potassium deficiency - in which case get some tests done.

I could add a banana each day, though it looks like that would be 420 mg, so I'd still be very short every day.  I'm short by an average of 1800 mg a day for what the logging program says I should eat.  (4600 mg)  Which would take 4 bananas and some other, which would add a lot more Calories than I have room for.  (Using dietpower)

Also, this thread was funnier than I expected Smile

DON"T worry about what diet power says

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson