alcohol and running (Read 1590 times)

Life time runner wannabe

Thanks Jeff. Scary stuff, especially since I come from a family with history of stroke. The worst part is to not realize that it might be happening--do you take blood thinners or daily aspirin just in case? I didn't realize how common A Fib was until recently....
    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

do you take blood thinners or daily aspirin just in case?
      No. Since mine was related to a specific trigger and has never happened spontaneously, the cardiologist didn't see any need for that. I do avoid caffeine per his recommendation, though I would probably do that anyway -- sleep is a precious commodity when you have small children, and I don't need anything keeping me awake. As for alcohol, well, I certainly don't avoid it in the least bit, so I do just try to avoid running hard after I've had a lot to drink.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Man in Tights

If you drink, run responsibly. Big grin I'm a regular drinker. I enjoy a whisky and cigar every eveing. It's a routine I've enjoyed for many many years. It's never come in the way of my running, and I'm a pretty decent runner. The only time I broke this routine was before running the marathon last year.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hey Narsi, good to see you on RA. That profile photo looks familiar!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Man in Tights

Hey Narsi, good to see you on RA. That profile photo looks familiar!
            Hey thanks. I must give you the photo credits Smile