Smelly running clothes (Read 2879 times)

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I've had the best luck with pre-soaking my gear in a mix of water and half a lid full of Pine-Sol cleaner, then washing regularly and line drying. If I'm not doing a load right away, I do let my running stuff air-dry before tossing it into the hamper and I try to avoid washing it with ANY of my regular clothes. Made the terrible error once of just washing it as-is with my work shirts and walked around all the next day at work thinking "what is that smell? OMG - it's ME!"
    ~ Fly ~
    Only as much as I dream can I be.
    veggies on the run
      First off, you don't say what kind of material you're wearing, but my experience is the opposite of wee_little_me. Cotton workout clothes always end up reeking over time for me, but technical clothes
      Yeah cotton would be pretty miserable to run in I think. Sweaty ,the stuff weighs a ton and it doesn't wick. I like wool, light weight merino literally does not get smelly and it isn't hot, I use that for tops and then standard issue higher tech fabrics for leggings. I have heard that silk knits can be good as well but I don't have any of that currently.
      The Graduates - a community of post C25K runners!

Started Running 21 April 2008

2008 Running Goals
      • Finish C25K 22 Jun 2008
      • Run 5K 43:29 29 Jun 2008
      • Complete a 10K fun run
      Chris UK

Having thrown one perfectly good technical shirt away due to wife's keen olfactory senses I found some solutions on the Internet - may be other threads on this forum too. This is what I do - After each run 1 - Put shirt, shorts and socks to soak in cold water. 2 - Rinse under tap and place in washer - spin only. 3 - Hang to dry naturally Once a week 1 - Mix solution of Bicarbonate of Soda and White Vinegar in bowl. Stir solution when adding cold water - just enough to cover clothes. I use 100g of Bicarb and 300ml of White Vinegar. Probably wouldn't hurt to use a little more but I have not found these items locally sold in bulk yet. 2 - Leave clothes to soak around 3 hours or overnight (I take a rest day each week so that is ideal time). 3 - Put items in washer on normal wash without any powder (non-detergent wash balls seem OK) including spin cycle. 4 - Hang to dry naturally. No complaints from the better-half since doing this. I might consider trying one of the 'special' washes if I could find them in UK (at a reasonable price).

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Jazz hands!

I've found that letting running clothes (esp. tech fabrics) air-dry rather than putting them in the dryer helps a lot. I think drying somehow sets the stink...
          run run run AHHHHHH run run run

jules2

Leave them in the corner of the bedroom, the clothes fairy comes and three days later they are back fresh and clean.. Mrs Jules does not believe in the clothes fairy so she has to do her own washing.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.