Thank goodness I procrastinate (Read 953 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Twice this week I have seen cars lose control and drive onto the shoulder or into the ditch just in front of me. Both times I thought to myself, "gee, had I gotten out the door just a few minutes earlier I would have been toast." I hate these first weeks of Winter...so many morons behind the wheel who have forgotten how to handle Winter roads and/or think their 4WD SUVs make them invincible and able to drive the same speed under all road conditions.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That's really scary to think about, isn't it? On the not-so-lucky end of it ... my mom's friend was driving to work one ordinary morning when a drunk/ high driver smashed into her car, head on. This was a couple of years ago and she still has a very long road to recovery. She has undergone many surgeries, has been in the hospital for months, and is still in a lot of pain Sad. It's very scary to think what the difference going back to grab your lunch or stopping on your way out to feed the fish can make.
      2009: BQ?
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, Trishie, that's so awful for your mom's friend. I think of all those people who were doing their holiday shopping at that mall and were in the wrong place at the wrong time...and what must be going through the heads of those who missed being potential victims by minutes. It's the kind of stuff that can keep a person up at night. Sad

~ Sarah Kay

On the not-so-lucky end of it ... my mom's friend was driving to work one ordinary morning when a drunk/ high driver smashed into her car, head on.
          When I was a kid, my mother and my brother were at a stop light. A woman that had pulled out from Dunkin Donuts a half mile back and was behind them didn't bother looking at the fact that there was a line of cars stopped at a red light in front of her and went full speed into my mother's trunk. My mother saw it coming in the rear view and warned my brother, who was in the passenger seat. He's a musician, so he immediately relaxed his body and tucked his hands under his armpits to protect them. He was fine. My mother tensed up on the steering wheel and slammed harder on the break to stop a domino effect, and has never been the same since. For 7 years, she couldn't sit down, she had to be standing or laying down. These days, she has every single point of fibromialsia (however it is spelled) and can be pretty miserable at times. She tries not to let it get her down too much though, and just stays inside when the weather is crappy. It's been 15 or 20 years since she was rear-ended.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

That's too close for comfort Kirsten. Any chance of using different streets or roads that minimize the risk of this? edit: Close calls for Kirsten AND Trishie's mom.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

That's too close for comfort Trishie. Any chance of using different streets or roads that minimize the risk of this?
              This happened in Racine, WI (where they live) ... even so, I think this can happen anywhere and anyplace Sad
              2009: BQ?
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

That's too close for comfort Kirsten. Any chance of using different streets or roads that minimize the risk of this? edit: Close calls for Kirsten AND Trishie's mom.
                Heh, I actually go out towards the back roads to avoid heavier traffic and intersections...of course those are the roads that are less well cleared. It's kind a catch-22. And drivers are dumbasses in the Winter regardless of where I run. Today I was more worried about being run down by snowmobiles than cars...welcome to Winter in MI! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

It's kind a catch-22. And drivers are dumbasses in the Winter regardless of where I run. Today I was more worried about being run down by snowmobiles than cars...welcome to Winter in MI! Tongue k
                  I know what you mean. I spent the first 20 years of my life there. If you could see how southern people drive when those seldom snowfalls hit, it makes the Michiganders not seem quite as idiotic!! Big grin

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know what you mean. I spent the first 20 years of my life there. If you could see how southern people drive when those seldom snowfalls hit, it makes the Michiganders not seem quite as idiotic!! Big grin
                    Do they go too fast, or the opposite extreme? I've always pictured the southerners panicking and having a stash of canned goods for snow "emergencies." They close the schools if they get an inch or two, which has always served as a source of amusement for us northerners.

~ Sarah Kay

Do they go too fast, or the opposite extreme? I've always pictured the southerners panicking and having a stash of canned goods for snow "emergencies." They close the schools if they get an inch or two, which has always served as a source of amusement for us northerners.
                      We actually get lots of both - but here we get more ice than snow. During my first winter here in Dallas there was ice on the freeways and an inch or two of snow. In a 5-6 mile stretch of freeway on my way to work - I saw at least 20-25 cars in the ditch or wrecked into guard rails. Around the neighborhoods and surface streets we have the other extreme - with people going 5 mpwh when they could safely be going 20-30. On days like that, I usually work from home because of both types of those drivers. Also of note, it does not even take 1-2" of snow to close the schools. Last winter, my kids' school closed and there was MAYBE a 1/4" to 1/2" of snow. Of course the kids still had fun trying to scrape up enough for snow balls.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

They close the schools if they get an inch or two, which has always served as a source of amusement for us northerners.
                        Tongue

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Oh, Trishie, that's so awful for your mom's friend. I think of all those people who were doing their holiday shopping at that mall and were in the wrong place at the wrong time...and what must be going through the heads of those who missed being potential victims by minutes. It's the kind of stuff that can keep a person up at night. Sad
                          Don't know if I already mentioned this in the other forum but my friends mom who works at Von Maur clocked out 4 minutes before the shooting started. Another one of my friends mom was walking out the door as it started. Pretty intense...
                          keep running!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Also of note, it does not even take 1-2" of snow to close the schools. Last winter, my kids' school closed and there was MAYBE a 1/4" to 1/2" of snow. Of course the kids still had fun trying to scrape up enough for snow balls.
                            Ha, I have a friend in the Dallas area and few years back I remember her posting the funniest shot of her DD trying to make a snowman with an inch of wet snow. Funny how relative it is...we don't even notice when we get an inch, unless it's the very first snow of the year--after that it's ho-hum.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't know if I already mentioned this in the other forum but my friends mom who works at Von Maur clocked out 4 minutes before the shooting started. Another one of my friends mom was walking out the door as it started. Pretty intense...
                              Oh, wow...that is some very fortunate timing for those women. I hear the store still has not reopened, which I can definitely understand. What a source of terror for so many people.

~ Sarah Kay

This happened in Racine, WI (where they live) ... even so, I think this can happen anywhere and anyplace Sad
                                Small world. I actually work in Racine, WI. Sorry to hear about your mom's friend.

"Good-looking people have no spine. Their art never lasts. They get the girls, but we're smarter." - Lester Bangs