Share your kids XC/running news here (Read 1038 times)

I look my best blurry!

I thought it would be fun to share our kids news (aka bragging)  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ksuvick/6206788651/

This a video of my daughter's first XC win.  She is in 8th grade and this is her second year of XC.  Notice that she isn't wearing shoes!  The first one fell of at about .2 and the other shortly after.  She continued to run about a mile and a half in the mud, woods and hills to her first win with quite a lead.  Definitely a fun day for her parents!

joescott

Oh, I'm afraid this thread is going to be way too much fun for me to stay away from.  Smile  I'm having more fun watching my son run his first season of high school cross country than I've ever had running myself.  Here is a little photo I like to call "Running with Guts" from the meet a couple of weeks ago when he clawed his way back onto the varsity team.  (I hope this link works).

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procsrserv/47a1d739b3127cce98548a766b8600000020100AYs3LVw2cs2hg/cwvDm9asA3Lw9ZN3Abl5etGTBQ

Thanks for providing the environment to brag a little, wannabe!  MTA: (BTW I tried to hit your link to your daughter's race and it said "file not found" or something like that??)

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Cool video!  Awesome.  (I had to copy / paste the link to my browser to make it work, as I had the same error as Joe).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

no big glory here. but still good. 

My 6th grade son told me 2 weeks before school he was going to pick cross country as a sport to try.  He had no runs other than running around the yard with friends.  I took him 3 times before the season and we went about 1.5 miles each time with 2 or 3 walk breaks and finished in about 15 minutes each time.

At his first day of practice he was overwhelmed a bit and mom and he talked about sticking out the week.  And then the next week came and went.  And then the next... By his 3rd meet I finally saw a time and explained to him his 15:49 in a 3k (1.86 miles) was a huge improvement over our 1.5 mile jog/walks just 6 weeks earlier.  (10:00 pace vs. 8:30 pace).  He has another meet comming up and we'll see if he wants to commit to some more training next year.  But he's started enjoying it and he felt really good when shown some concrete evidence of just how much he's improved. 

So no blistering times.  But an 11 year old kid who has faced a challenge and I think see's he's going to come out the other side confident at having accomplished something decent.  So I grade it a great success for him. 

I don't have a picture to post, but my son is having a pretty good year as a 7th grader.  Our school hosted a 30 school invitational race over the weekend, and in the 1.5 mile race my son took 2nd out of 160 runners, finishing about 4 seconds behind the winner.  I was proud of his effort and comeback because at the start our entire team got tangled and fell down. All of them started in a big distance deficit. It was fun watching him pick off runner after runner the whole way. 

I look my best blurry!

Blistering times or not it is so much fun to see our kids enjoy what we love. Joe-Cool photo! My daughter frequently falls to the ground at the finish. It's pretty cool to see them give it all they've got. I think my daughter might be catching the "training" bug. She really didn't run this summer. She actually had a rib injury at extreme sports camp and couldn't run until a few days before her first race. She is talking about using Master Run Coach to keep training over the winterfor track. That could be interesting. BT-Holy moly! That's awesome! Pictures!!! Video!!! I'll see if I can figure out my video issue when I'm back home.
              joescott

BT-Holy moly! That's awesome!

yeah, he won't tell you this in the public forums, but BT's kid is pretty much a stud -- I pick him to make a run or two at some Illinois state championships in a few years.

- Joe

yeah, he won't tell you this in the public forums, but BT's kid is pretty much a stud -- I pick him to make a run or two at some Illinois state championships in a few years.

Thanks Joe, but as we've shared,  so much of it is simply the joy of watching our kid(s) compete in something we love too. And, being able to help him when the running culture at our school is pathetic at best.   

For my son to achieve at the state level in a few years, puberty will have to be overly kind to him :-)

Treadmill Addict

That's super cool! Congrats to her. : ) 

Sarah (37)

Mom to Abby (10) Jacob, (8) and Colton (5)

18 half marathons, 6 full marathons

Goals- run more, lose 20lbs.

joescott

The boy ran 18:36 (5k) yesterday and #4 on his team.  (Unfortunately our usual #4 runner had a really bad day and that hurt the team overall).  But this is his second meet in the 18:30's so it was a great confidence booster for him -- he was a little bit afraid that his race last week was a fluke, but now he thinks it was a genuine breakthrough.   I'll add a race picture to this post later when I have a chance.

- Joe

The boy ran 18:36 (5k) yesterday and #4 on his team.  (Unfortunately our usual #4 runner had a really bad day and that hurt the team overall).  But this is his second meet in the 18:30's so it was a great confidence booster for him -- he was a little bit afraid that his race last week was a fluke, but now he thinks it was a genuine breakthrough.   I'll add a race picture to this post later when I have a chance.

Awesome, Joe! Tell him congrats!

Also, unlike making a lucky shot in basketball or hitting a homer in baseball, remind him there are no flukes in running.  If the course is accurate, times are what they are. Sure, a PR may come on a perfect day when you're firing on all cylinders, but it's not a fluke.  

Tiefsa

My six year old ran a CC race today.  They have a 1/2 mile run for the kindergarten thru second graders put on by the local high school.  I thought a half mile was pretty darn long for kids this age, but my son did it and didn't walk a step!

heather85

My six year old ran a CC race today.  They have a 1/2 mile run for the kindergarten thru second graders put on by the local high school.  I thought a half mile was pretty darn long for kids this age, but my son did it and didn't walk a step!

My 3 year old did a 1K recently and had a blast.  Was asking to "race" again 2 minutes later. Smile   Can't underestimate what kids can actually do and have fun with; we don't give them enough credit.

I look my best blurry!

The little ones are so adorable! I love watching them! This is the first year my daughter is too old (13) to participate in the 1 mile race at our hometown's Applefest races. She has done the mile for 3 years and both the 1 mi and 5K for the last 2 years. I'll report the results of her 5K in a few hours. I can't run so I am living vicariously through her today. I have pre-race jitters! Can't wait!
                              Mr Play

Back in April of this year, my 9 year old won the 1 mile fun run that his school's booster club puts on each year.  I don't remember the time but it was around 8 minutes I think.  He paced it well and outran a couple of older kids at the end.  Then he ran the 5k with a couple of walk breaks.

Here's a pic of the case we put together so he can remember his first win.