died at the finish line (Read 771 times)

Did a race today with my husband and two kiddos in a jogging stroller...just a 5k for us. The race offered a 15 mile race, 15mile relay race, 10k race, 5krace and 5 and 10k walks. A man crossed the finish line after running the 5k ( close behind us, maybe a minute) had what they are thinking was a heart attack and died. Just like that. Makes me scared of running... Cry
    Goals: Maintain 120 beat 5k time: 25:52 beat 10k time: 55:48 Complete one half-marathon-Jan. 10th
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'd rather have a grabber at the finish of a race than while shoveling snow or sitting on the sofa doing nothing or grocery shopping or driving my car...people have heart attacks every day. The odds of having one as a regular runner are greatly lessened. Running likely didn't cause his heart malfunction. Perhaps years of abuse of his body in the form of food or cigarettes did...or a genetic defect. Perhaps running gave him years that he wouldn't have had were he not a runner.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Just Be

Wow, that's scary and unfortunate. Sad I hope you didn't have to witness the event. How old was he?

A Saucy Wench

I'd rather have a grabber at the finish of a race than while shoveling snow or sitting on the sofa doing nothing or grocery shopping or driving my car...people have heart attacks every day. The odds of having one as a regular runner are greatly lessened. Running likely didn't cause his heart malfunction. Perhaps years of abuse of his body in the form of food or cigarettes did...or a genetic defect. Perhaps running gave him years that he wouldn't have had were he not a runner.
          Or, conversely, he may have been a weekend warrior type. You know. Doesnt train, just goes out and runs hard on race day. That will cause heart attacks too. You know what tends NOT to cause heart attacks. Run Lots. Mostly easy. Sometimes hard. The VP of my company was saved by that last method of running. He ran everyday at lunch, never too fast. But first he started noticing that easy was getting slower (well he was in his 60's, that's normal right?). Then he started feeling short of breath even when it was "easy". Then he started feeling pressure. Not pain, just pressure. Was enough to make him go...ummmmmmm Went to the doc they did some test and he had 90% blockage in one artery and serious blockage in a couple other places. He felt the warning signs BECAUSE he was a runner. They said if he had been sedentary and not stressing his heart regularly, he would have had a warning free major MI. Got a stent and a super low fat diet and in 6 weeks was running and feeling like he was 20 years younger.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Or, conversely, he may have been a weekend warrior type. You know. Doesnt train, just goes out and runs hard on race day. That will cause heart attacks too.
            Yep...same reason heart attacks while shoveling snow are not all that rare -- pretty high level of exertion if one isn't regularly active.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ditto to what Zoomy said.
              Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09