Race Report, LL Bean 10K, July 4th (Read 629 times)

an amazing likeness

A race report (my first) on the 31st Annual LL Bean 10K, July 4th, Freeport Maine While I’ve been on a ‘do-something-active-every-day’ plan for almost 4 years, only recently have I tried a few organized road races. This race was my 5th formal event, and my first 10K. So I knew going in that I’d have a PR. Yeah for small things! Goals are finish in 48:XX, no hamstring pulls, and get the feel of a 10K before the Beach 2 Beacon in August. Fashion report would be some blue technical shirt that was on top of the pile and not too stinky, blue shorts, Asics and socks. You can bet that it looked just like about 200 other generic middle-age recreational running guys there. Up early to be sure to have plenty of warm-up time, since I don’t move all that well first thing in the morning, and headed off for the race’s 7:30AM start. Beautiful weather, low to mid-60s, and some slight clouds to keep the sun at bay. Found a well-organized pre-race scene in the Freeport town park, after a bit of "where are the packets?" I got my packet, chip into shoelace, ate half a bannana and jogged a short warm-up to break a sweat. Found my way to starting line (gun start only, no chip mat) and made sure to be far back from the elite starting group (which included Run to Win and Joan Benoit Samuelson) – don’t want to interfere with the pros – but ended up too far back in the pack when all the stragglers filled in. Local mom and daughter do a good job singing the Star Spangled Banner, everything goes quiet, then the gun fires and we’re off. Mile 1 is mainly downhill as we leave downtown Freeport behind. I hadn’t been down this road in a while and forgot just how downhill it is. I work to get into a steady, but easy cruise pace, don’t want to go out too fast. Mile 2 and 3 are steady rolling hills as we make up some of the elevation from the first mile and half. It is a good time to gain positions on those that went out really fast and are coming back to me on the hills. My paces for these 3 miles are 7:43 / 7:41 / 7:41, so I feel good that I’m managing pace and not letting the course set it for me. After passing mile 3 we’re leaving the village of South Freeport and heading back to Freeport. Now we’re going to have to earn back that elevation from the early miles. In an interesting diversion we pass onto a dirt road for a bit, and then back to pavement. The steady climbing and the day getting warmer is taking its toll and I’m steadily reeling in runners. I decide to follow Pacer Chris’s advice and focus on constant effort rather than constant pace and go through miles 4 and 5 at 7:46 / 7:50, slowed by the climb. At about 5 miles I note that I’ve been on the course for around 40-ish minutes, and assume Blaine and the other elites are home and having their post-race waffles by now. I ponder blueberry pancakes. Back to reality to avoid a sprinkler spraying in the road for runners – the family has kindly marked the road with painted “wet” and “dry” lanes, a nice touch for those not wanting to be sprinkled. Passing mile 5, we’re back on the main road and I focus on reeling in the person about 10 yards in front of me, we’ve been running the same pace for a bit. Finally catch and pass her when she slows at the last water stop. I use the last hill to try and open some space on her as we pass through mile 6. Last mile split is fastest of the race at 7:36. Entering the finish stretch, good crowd, and I hear her…she is working hard to get me. She does. Damn youthful legs. I have nothing left and say “Its all yours” as she buries me with her 20 year-old legs that are taller than my shoulders. Over the chip mat at 48:20 on the clock, 48:12 on my watch (gun start). Chip off, grab a water and take a few seconds to clear the chute and catch my breath. Good day on the course. I’ll take it. Grab a sticky bun at the local bakery and head home to mow the lawn.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Nice report! It was some of the best weather I've ever had at that race (although it's been 2 or 3 years since I've run it) - not having the sun beat down on you in that last mile along Main St. was nice. That first mile is tough; it's way too fast and you don't realize it until you get there because it doesn't feel like it is going to be. (By the way, you should hop into the Maine Runner Group: http://runningahead.com/groups/MRG)

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

an amazing likeness

You were standing next to the finish area as I walked out of the chute, Blaine. I was going to stop and introduce myself, but you were deep in conversation with someone and I didn't want to interrupt.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Congrats on hitting 48xx

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

You were standing next to the finish area as I walked out of the chute, Blaine. I was going to stop and introduce myself, but you were deep in conversation with someone and I didn't want to interrupt.
            Feel free to interrupt - then you can potentially meet two people instead of just one. Wink (If you wait to introduce yourself when I am not talking to somebody, then you'll be waiting a long time. I know a lot of people and enjoy chatting. Drives my wife nuts.)

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the report, Andy! I was a volunteer - I was standing at the side street just before the Mile 2 marker, ready to stop any cars from entering the course, but none came along! I'm hoping to run it myself next year. I'm signed up for B2B - hoping my ankle cooperates. Have you run it before? It's a lot of fun. The spectators are great. Last year, I'd only run 3.2 miles at one time up until then, but the crowd support was so great that I made it 5 miles without stopping.