Expired Gels (Read 2778 times)

I just bought some gels at my local running store and didn't realize that some of them are expired. One expired a couple of months ago so I figure no big deal, but the other expired in December 2007! I am surprised that they would keep them on the shelf for that long. Have any of you consumed expired gels?
    2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
    GST

Quite possibly, I don't check.  It's sugar. I bet the worst that will happen is it tastes stale or the texture might be a tad off.  It's like candy.

I have talked to the gu rep, as well as carboom rep.  Basically they are required to put an expiration date on the gel, but it is still ok after that date.. The only number they gave me was at least 2 years... I've eaten older...hehehe... It's sugar, so it really wont go bad.  Accel gel which has protein in it, that might actually expire.

KC born 7-14-13. RC born 7-21-15

Old PR's: 5k 19:36, 10mi 1:07:46, HM 1:30:04, M 3:06:19

Working on a Comeback after baby #2

Often there is a 1.800 number or website on the gel.  If I end up with an expired product I usually call the company and they give me the low down on whether to toss it because it's bad or whether they just don't recommend it because it won't taste as good (has lost effectiveness, etc.).  

Many companies will offer to send you coupons to replace an expired product.  I don't always go for that one though as I don't want to be on a mailing list!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've found that some of my old packs of Carb Boom are kinda grainy...but the taste is otherwise fine.  I can't imagine that they would make you sick or anything, the texture just might be kinda unpalatable.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Imminent Catastrophe

If it's Honey Gel it's OK. Honey doesn't spoil unless exposed to the atmosphere. In fact, honey discovered in tombs of Egyptian Pharaohs was perfectly edible.

OTOH that modern stuff should be thrown out. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

xor

Oh I've eaten old Honey Stingers.  I'm sure they weren't spoiled, but they had gone through that crystalization thing that honey can do, and they were pretty funky texture-wise in the middle of a race.  Bleh.

LiliGo

I've been taking some Power Gel that I found from my last Marathon (2006) that expired in 2007, Didn't notice any difference,  OR maybe I've just found the reason for my recent bout of extreme slowness (not that I was fast before).
                    If it's Honey Gel it's OK. Honey doesn't spoil unless exposed to the atmosphere. In fact, honey discovered in tombs of Egyptian Pharaohs was perfectly edible.

OTOH that modern stuff should be thrown out. 

Yeah the one I bought I think consists of brown rice syrup (Clif Shots).

2010 Goals: Run 1500 miles Sub 22 minute 5K Sub 37 minute 8K Sub 1:45 HM Complete a marathon
                      just lay them on a table at some ultra trail race and walk away.  those people will gnaw bark off a tree when hungry so they'll eat anything.

just lay them on a table at some ultra trail race and walk away.  those people will gnaw bark off a tree when hungry so they'll eat anything.

Hahaha yeah I am reading Born to Run right now so I am learning a lot about the types of people who do ultras!

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I had one a couple of weeks ago. I squeezed a plain GU into my mouth and thought, huh, that taste a little funky, even for a plain GU. Sure enough, the expiration date was 7/09. I didn't have any tummy trouble.

Although last week I tried a red vine because I was out of everything else, even honey. I got sick as dog and lost 6 lbs.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                            I had some expired powergels a while back...they were lumpy and the gel came out in chunks.  Makes me gag just thinking about it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Although last week I tried a red vine because I was out of everything else, even honey. I got sick as dog and lost 6 lbs.

Can you send me some of those?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mitch & Pete's Mom

Can you send me some of those?

Because you like red vines or for their apparent weight control features (at least for me)? I wouldn't reccomend them for weight control, I had horrible cramps in the last mile of my run. 

Can't wait to steal the kid's halloween mini-twizzlers.

Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.