Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Just started my more race oriented training, so I thought I'd add in some of what I'm doing. Week of 5/4-5/11: 67 miles Key Workouts: 1. Wednesday: 5x1000m on the track with a goal of 3:30 each, with 400m jog recovery between the intervals. 2. Sunday: 16 mile steady long run, average pace about 7:20
    mikeymike

My training week 5/4: 62 miles in 6 days (took mothers' day off) Key workouts: 1.) 4 x 1000, 2 x 600, 2 x 400 2.) 15 miler at an easy/steady pace. Should be around 70 miles this week.

Runners run

Pete Magill is our local 5k god. He is doing something right running consistently sub 15 at age 47. Here is how he trains: http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/02/peter-magill-event-training-5k-road.html He also preaches long hill repeats. http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/04/adventures-in-running-long-hill-repeats.html And I see Grace running around the Rose bowl loop about once a week. Aren't I lucky!
        mikeymike

I'm a big Pete Magill fan.

Runners run

Pete Magill is our local 5k god. He is doing something right running consistently sub 15 at age 47. Here is how he trains: http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/02/peter-magill-event-training-5k-road.html He also preaches long hill repeats. http://petemagill.blogspot.com/2009/04/adventures-in-running-long-hill-repeats.html And I see Grace running around the Rose bowl loop about once a week. Aren't I lucky!
            Incredible runner and a great blog too. Once in a while I lurk on masters thread of Letsrun.com. If you had read his comments during last month or so you'd think he was coming apart at the seams. He ran 14:47 in his next start!
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              I'm a big Pete Magill fan.
              Mikey, just curious, how do you know about him? I only know about him because he is local.
              mikeymike

He posts on letsrun under SoCal Pete and has always been one of my favorite posters. One fo the few worth reading in that sewer...plus he's like the world record holder at 5k for his age group so I'd heard about him that way. I can't remember how I first found out about his blog but I've been following it for a couple months.

Runners run

I found out about him as I was running 400m intervals on the La Canada HS track, and this tall "older" guy whips past me at seemingly about twice my pace. I had to ask some of my training partners, who is this guy??!!!
                    He holds American outdoor records at 5k (14:34) and 10k (31:27) for 45-49 age division. World records are 14:24 and 30:03. EDTA 3k - he's got American in that too - 8:36:.86
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    mikeymike

Okay for some reason I thought he had a WR in there too, my bad. But I remembered where I first heard about his blog: CapallMor posted about it in the swamp.

Runners run

My point of posting that was not to correct anyone. He might, in fact, have held a world record at one time. I was just curious as to what records were now and looked them up. If anybody is interested here is one web site: http://www.world-masters-athletics.org/records_output/rec_list_outdoor_m.php and here's another: http://www.usatf.org/statistics/records/ There are some incredibly fast people on this planet!
                          I'll throw my hat into the ring for this goal. Currently I'm out of shape after a few months off, but want to get consistent with my training and I'm hoping committing to this goal will help keep me accountable. A few years ago I had been down to a 17:15 5k and felt like I had more in me, but the arrival of child #1 tanked my training. Last summer I was progressing reasonably well, but then child #2 did me in. Yes, there is a pattern developing. I tend to do well with my training for a few months at a time, but then I let life get in the way and have to start all over again. I know that to improve my times I just need to get more consistent and bump up the miles - I just have a hard time doing it because it unfortunately falls a little too far down the list of priorities. Anyway, I'm currently getting back into the swing of things with a few base building weeks (still at low mileage), then I'll add in a few quality workouts a week, try to avoid injuries and any new children, and see how things go over the summer. I'm thinking I'm probably looking at mid Fall before I would be ready to make a serious sub-17 attempt, but am hoping to throw in plenty of tune-up races along the way. Congrats to those that have already hit this goal, and good luck to others who are on their way!

Running Boston in memory of my son.  Want to help?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 Goals:

1. Run Boston for Matthew (< 2:40 if possible)
                          2. Run 5k < 16:00
                          3. Hold off father time for at least another year
                            Week 2 of 5k training done. Last week of base running, so nothing too interesting, other than a set of hill sprints and a set of form drills (that seem to have given me rather sore hamstrings). 105k total. Track work starts tomorrow!
                            Next race: Acura 5k (July 19) Why practice running slow? It comes naturally!
                              Week of 5/11-5/17: 62 miles in 6 days, bad work schedule on Monday Key workouts: 1. Wednesday: 8x800m with 300m recovery, average about 2:44 per 800. 2. Sunday: 15 mile easy-ish long run
                              mikeymike

Nice work bells, My week of 5/11: 73 miles Workouts: 1.) 6 x 1000 / jog 200 (3:35 ea), then 4 x 200 / jog 200 (35 ish each) 2. )13.6-mile hammerfest. Next Sunday I'm running the Runners Alley/Redhook 5k in Portsmouth--that should be a good test.

Runners run