Ipod nano sweat issues (Read 1583 times)

flatland mountaineer

After running for years without tunes I recieved an Ipod Nano gen 6 as a gift and really enjoyed it espcially on long runs. It recently died after less than a year of use, Apple claimed water damage and would not replace. I never got it wet other than incidental sweat contact, and I have sweat alot this summer. Google searches revealed this to be a common problem and the general concesus was sweat running down the earbud cord or getting into the charger plugin. Other than wrapping in a baggy anyone have a better solution or better mp3 player? I prefer large display and of the over 50 reading glass sect.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Orient the plug hole down.  Make sure there is at least an inch of earbud cable running down (pin it at the bottom), before it runs back up to the Nano.   Except for capillary action, water generally doesn't run against gravity.

A silicone glue/caulk seal around the plug would also work, but might wed you to one earbud solution.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

flatland mountaineer

Thanks makes sense. When I clip to my shirt collar the plug and charging port are aligned in the horizontal plane. If the charging port wasn't there I think I would use some rtv silicone around th ear plug cord. Anyway poor design for a device advertised for use in fitness activities and customer service was hard to access and didn't really give you options for a refurbished one that I could find. I haven't replaced it yet, when we get to the city I'll look at some other options.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

You can alternatively impose something on the cord for the sweat to encounter before it gets to the iPod.  Nike shorts, for example, have a cord management loop on the back of the neck.  Or you could rig up something, like a small swatch of fabric in a safety pin that holds the cord near the iPod.

Or clip it to a hat/visor.

Or put it upside-down in an arm-band thingy.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I have been running with my Nano 3G for years and have never had a problem (even though I sweat a lot and it isn't in a case).  Until this post I wanted mine to die so I could upgrade......perhaps I will stick with what works!

I have been running with my Nano 3G for years and have never had a problem (even though I sweat a lot and it isn't in a case).  Until this post I wanted mine to die so I could upgrade......perhaps I will stick with what works!

I have a Nano 3 G, 4th generation and HAD a 6th generation. The only one that doesn't work is the 6th generation and it MAGICALLY got water damage (sales person said a number of things  could have caused the water damage but it COULDN"T be sweat or humidity. I say it's poorly designed since it's so much like the poorly designed shuffle (which I went through a number of)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

After running for years without tunes I recieved an Ipod Nano gen 6 as a gift and really enjoyed it espcially on long runs. It recently died after less than a year of use, Apple claimed water damage and would not replace. I never got it wet other than incidental sweat contact, and I have sweat alot this summer. Google searches revealed this to be a common problem and the general concesus was sweat running down the earbud cord or getting into the charger plugin. Other than wrapping in a baggy anyone have a better solution or better mp3 player? I prefer large display and of the over 50 reading glass sect.

There is no other way. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

philipfromga

Just replaced mine tonite. No evidence of water damage but it just quit working while I was running.
                  ilp

underwateraudio.com ... I'm going to buy one of those waterproof iPod shuffles when mine dies from sweat (the new shuffle i have has been better than the old one, but it's a matter of time)

TJoseph

On the hot and humid days I generally wear some sort of arm band above it or even an ace wrap under the arm band it to divert / absorb some of the incidental sweat run off and have found that to be fairly effective since I had the same issue with my last nano.

What was I chasing again?

Every iPod I have ever had eventually subcomed to sweat damage. I have had my Philips song bird for at least a year, no problems. I cut a small hole in the waistband of my shorts, and the little case has Velcro straps that I close around the waist band. I don't feel it, and it's worked for over a year. I sweat a lot, it's aways extremely humid here.
                          noahsd

I have run with the same Ipod Shuffle for years with zero issues.  Something like 3k+ miles with the same one and not a single issue.  Why does anyone need to look at a screen when running?  I can click through songs by touch on the Shuffle which is much easier.

Julia1971

FWIW, in my experience, nanos almost always come back to life if you let them dry out.  I've only lost one permanently.  Try putting it in a warm, sunny place for a couple weeks and then recharge it to see if it's working again.

I have had mine since last summer and despite salt corrosion in the earpiece, it still works fine.  I clip it on the brim of my hat and run the earplugs through the back of the hat (saw someone do it at a race and it actually works great)...went through about 6 pairs of apple earbuds before I switched to Senheiser OMX 680i headphones and they have been flawless since even when running through sprinklers and dousing myself with water.