pool running for dummies (Read 1100 times)

thumbs up!

I am nursing a bad case of shin splints, or worse, a stress fracture.

I'm going to try pool running, but don't know where to start (besides in a pool)

Here are my stupid questions:

How deep should the water be?

Do your feet touch the bottom?

Do I need a belt (for float? for weight?)

How do you deal with other swimmers using the pool?

2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10

The shirtless wonder

I tried water running while nursing a stress fracture.  I didn't like it but you should at least give it a try.

• The water should come up to about your chin.  Your head should be out of the water.
      • No, your feet must not touch the bottom
      • Yes, you should use a flotation belt as well as resistance aids on your ankles and possibly on your wrists.
      • Pools typically have one or more lanes dedicated to water walking/running.  Just talk with the lifeguard and they'll help you through any local ettiquette. 

Good luck, I hope you enjoy it more than I did!

thumbs up!

Thanks Greg.

I've been following your adventures with stress fractures here on RA.

What did you do for training if you didn't like the pool?

The whole flotation thing is throwing me, already feels too complicated.

2010 Goals
        3. sub 30 min 5k
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Penny, it's not too complicated.  I did it after I had an achilles injury.  Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can!  I'm a total klutz.  The hardest part was the boredom, and feeling like everyone was looking at me. 

thumbs up!

If you have to stay in "deepish" water, do you "run" accross the lanes so you are in a consistent depth?

I should probably watch someone do it first. I'm overcomplicating this.

2010 Goals
            3. sub 30 min 5k

The shirtless wonder

It's not complicated or hard at all.  A lot of people really enjoy it.  You should definitely try it.

I did a fair amount of cycling while recovering.  I also used the injury as an opportunity to learn to swim.  I have some great friends who are avid triathletes that offered to teach me.  It's been slow going but I'm starting to get the hang of it. 

I plan to continue swimming but I'm not planning on cycling much anymore and I only did water running once (after that I devoted pool time to learning/practicing swimming).

At the pool I used they had two lanes configured as one lane for water walking.  I'd go from the deepest point to the mid-way point and then turn around.  It's easy to do a 180 degree turn in water.  You don't get a whole lot of momentum.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I did the same routine as Greg at my local Y.  They had quite a few of the Aqua Jogger belts (I think that's what they were called).

I found the following pretty useful last winter when i was nursing a calf injury:

http://pfitzinger.com/labreports/water.shtml

If you want to maintain your running fitness, you have to push yourself when aqua jogging/running. I found it to be a good workout for both my legs and arms. 

MrH

The aquajogger site has information on correct form, drills etc.

http://www.ib3health.com/products/AquaJogger/Index.asp

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Best Present Ever

I spend a few weeks a year pool running because of a chronic knee issue and have been trying to get Ina few hours a week in place of a run. When I run with a belt I do a lot of intervals to keep my heart rate up and make it less boring. I finally figured out how to do it without he belt, though. It's a lot harder but it feels like a much better workout. And you definitely can't let your mind wander off and slow down or you drown.

I look my best blurry!

I spend a few weeks a year pool running because of a chronic knee issue and have been trying to get Ina few hours a week in place of a run. When I run with a belt I do a lot of intervals to keep my heart rate up and make it less boring. I finally figured out how to do it without he belt, though. It's a lot harder but it feels like a much better workout. And you definitely can't let your mind wander off and slow down or you drown.

+1

PM me if you want to know more.  I can't say I love it but I set a new PR after spending 6 weeks in a pool due to a stress fx in the neck of my femur.  If you do it correctly it absolutely works to maintain fitness.  Biking and elliptical wasn't an option.  So, pool running was all I was allowed to do.  I made the most of it.  I bought a waterproof iPod cover and got down to business.  I do some pool running even when I'm healthy.  Good luck!

Kristen