Chest Pain. But not THAT kind of chest pain. I think. (Read 331 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Haha.  Enjoy, and I hope all is well.

A couple of years ago, I had a stress test for an abnormal EKG finding (RBBB), and the stress test was fairly routine.

No earbuds.

The workout results were finished earlier than I would have thought (maybe 20 minutes).  I remember it being more of a tempo and hill workout combined than a pure tempo workout.

The test results were also that quick.

I went back to the gym that afternoon to repeat the workout after getting the green light.  I enjoyed it.

Heh, thanks for your comments!  I was joking around, but I am a tad curious as to what exactly the test entails.  Not "worried curious," just "interested curious."  Cardio doc said they'd put me on the treadmill and gradually get me up to about a 10% incline.  Don't recall him indicating a particular speed, though.

Anything else I need to know?  Is there a predetermined heart rate they're trying to get me up to?  When I get there, how long will I need to hold that pace?  Any dietary considerations I should consider leading up to it?  Will the EKG contacts require me to be shirtless?  I've got the afternoon off, I can probably spend it doing pushups if so.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Heh, thanks for your comments!  I was joking around, but I am a tad curious as to what exactly the test entails.  Not "worried curious," just "interested curious."  Cardio doc said they'd put me on the treadmill and gradually get me up to about a 10% incline.  Don't recall him indicating a particular speed, though.

Anything else I need to know?  Is there a predetermined heart rate they're trying to get me up to?  When I get there, how long will I need to hold that pace?  Any dietary considerations I should consider leading up to it?  Will the EKG contacts require me to be shirtless?  I've got the afternoon off, I can probably spend it doing pushups if so.

I don't remember the details regarding the speed, but I do remember the high incline Smile  You'll be fine, and I don't think there were dietary restrictions.

I think it was shirtless, but I don't even remember that.  I just remember the 'green light, go' response.  I haven't looked back.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

I just had one recently.  In a non-nuclear stress test, you get hooked up with EKG cords and start on a treadmill.  Every x minutes (I can't remember how long) they increase the speed and incline.  They kept me going until I had enough.  Apparently, I was above average on overall time and and recovery time.  I would guess you will be too being a runner.  The worst part is that if you have chest hair like I do, you get these shaved spots for the electrodes that you get to sport for a few weeks after the test.  It's really easy.

Marathon PR: 3:25:35 Fall Classic, 2014

1/2 Marathon PR: 1:35:59, Mt. Sneffels Half Marathon, 2014

some call me Tim

Uh, yeah. Mine was shirtless - and they shaved portions of my chest to help the electrodes stick better. I couldn't tell you numbers, I just remember it was on an incline and increased from a slow walk to a brisk run that I had to hold pace with for like a minute. As it turned out that there was nothing wrong in my case, I was chatting with the techs about it as it was going on and they told me that of the people who quit (independent of heart problems), men generally quit because of calf muscle fatigue and women because they're out of breath.

I sincerely hope yours goes like mine... nothing wrong and a cool mini workout that includes stimulating conversation Smile

edit: I guess the shaving experience is memorable all around!

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I just had one recently.  In a non-nuclear stress test, you get hooked up with EKG cords and start on a treadmill.  Every x minutes (I can't remember how long) they increase the speed and incline.  They kept me going until I had enough.  Apparently, I was above average on overall time and and recovery time.  I would guess you will be too being a runner.  The worst part is that if you have chest hair like I do, you get these shaved spots for the electrodes that you get to sport for a few weeks after the test.  It's really easy.

Ooh, yay!  *claps hands*  Been awhile since I've run to exhaustion.  Looking forward to seeing what I can do.  So, there's "recovery time" involved?  Is that part of the test, to see what happens after exertion?

Re: chest hair...don't know if I should be embarrassed about this or not, but I shave my chest regularly.  Makes tech shirts move more smoothly across my skin, and accentuates my marvelous breasts when my top is off.  So that shouldn't be a problem, unless they also attach them to my back.  I've got a pretty healthy pelt going back there, growing it out for Locks of Love.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

rmcj001

Son had to do this a few years back.  I believe once the incline is reached they will keep increasing the speed.  My son maxed out the speed as well...He thought it was fun.

Ray

Mysecondnewname

mab411:

Yes, the tests are designed to get your heart rate up to a certain point.  Therefore, they are going to run you through a protocol to get you up in the range they need with a combination of speed and incline.  (Don't worry--if you are a regular runner, you'll be able to handle it.  They typically don't run people into the ground--don't want any stress-test induced MI's! Smile)

I'd wear whatever you'd wear for a tempo run or hill repeats.

As far as food--I'd probably just eat what you eat normally before tempo runs or hill repeats.  Test doesn't last long enough to need gels and such during the test.

It's handy to bring a change of clothing unless you like driving home hot and sweaty.  Wipes are useful too, if you have somewhere else to go before getting a shower.

They are also most likely going to do an echocardiogram as well to take a look at the wall motion of your heart before, during and after the stress.  See if they'll warm up the gel for you.  Wink

Please let us know how it goes, and best of luck!

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

So, there's "recovery time" involved?  Is that part of the test, to see what happens after exertion?

The recovery is measured on the portion of the EKG that gets recorded after you get off the treadmill.  It should show that your heartbeat slows down at a faster than average rate because of your running fitness.

I just checked the "spots" on my chest.  They are at the stubble stage and they itch! Cry

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I just checked the "spots" on my chest.  They are at the stubble stage and they itch! Cry

I'm tellin' ya, man, just shave it all off.  Smooth, clean, and fast!

Anyway, thanks for all the comments, everyone!  Shufflefaster, I will certainly come back with a RR STR.  Though since my wife's not going, I don't know that I'll be able to post pics.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Okay, I'm in the corral, ready to go! The port-a-potty was AWESOME, but the crowd support sure sucks so far.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Okay, I'm in the corral, ready to go! The port-a-potty was AWESOME, but the crowd support sure sucks so far.

Sync up your Garmin.

Hip Redux

I hope yours stress test went better than mine that I had today - I had to do it twice since one of the leads wasn't working. Couldn't we figure that out before I started running up this treadmill mountain? lol

Also 37, and also having mild chest pain.  Except three times over the last month, I've nearly passed out while running and after last night's episode, I called the doc first thing in the AM (three times was more than a fluke...once or twice I could chalk up to not eating enough, etc).  Cold sweats, lightheaded, nausea.    I'll tell you what - I've never had doctors want to see me so quickly.  I had an EKG, stress test and echo all done today!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hope the results are good for both of you.

sbpbrent

Ludwig Classic Maple

Yes, let us know how it goes guys.  I hope everything goes well. Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Pfff...you'd never make it as a chick with a bikini line to maintain. Roll eyes Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay