Fueling differences bewteen cylcing and running (Read 1291 times)

I recently ran my first marathon. It was Ocean Drive, point to point. We went into a 15 MPH headwind the whole way. I did what I have done in Long Runs during training. Breakfast 2 hrs before: Cereal w, skim milk, bananna and some peanut butter. A 20oz gatorade about 60 minutes before the run,, and I'm off. During the race, I drank water until mile 8, then alternated between gatorade,, and at next aid station, I'd have a gel with water. Only during the race, I felt empty and was taking a gel with water at each stop. I took 5 in total for the race. I really faded in the last five miles (but didn't stop). My pace slowed by 1:15 per mile. My brother does a lot of 100+ mile cycling and he swears by fig newtons or power bars during his events. He suggested that maybe, the gels weren't cutting it for me and I needed something more substantial during the race. Do you think that cycling may allow you to consume more complex carbs than running? I searched and can't seem to find anyone on these forums that eats anything other than real simple sugars while running, like gels or blocks etc. thoughts? Thanks

The Greatest of All Time

Interesting question. I have a triathlon background and have done tons of 100 mile rides and tons of very long runs. The fading in the last 5 miles of your marathon is not rare. Typically that's the point where your body has used all of the stored glycogen. Taking in gels, gatorade, etc is supposed to provide you with the extra fuel you need to complete the event. In theory that is. At that point you want something that's quick digesting such as gels, thus is the reason for their existence. Cycling, on the other hand, is different. It's easier to eat 'real' food while riding. It's also easier to drink more gatorade. If you think about a marathon, most people grab a cup of Gatorade while running and spill 1/2 of it while trying to drink it. While cycling you're drinking from a bottle that's at least 16 ounces. Simply put, you're getting more energy drinking a sports drink on a bike compared to a running event. Of course, you can walk through marathon aid stations and drink 3 or 4 cups (I did this during the Ironman). Simply put, it's just easier to consume energy on a bike compared to a running event. When I used to do really long rides I always took a couple of bars with me along with gels and 4 bottles filled with carb drinks. You can just put more fuel on board a bike. During the Ironman I had 10 packs of GU taped to the top bar on my bike and took a few packs out on the run (can't remember how many). I also ate I think three Clif bars on the bike as well. Some people while running wear those 'belts' with holders for several bottles of gels, carb drinks, etc. I know that was a very long-winded explanation but the answer to your question is that cycling does allow consumption of more complex carbs than running.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
      JakeKnight

Ha! I thought this was going to be a thread on the Bikers vs. Runners Wars. And I had plenty to say about them @#$%@Q% bikers. Never mind. Carry on.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Cycling allows consumption of more complex carbs and calories at a higher rate than running. Cycling burns glycogen at a lower rate than running.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I run, DH bikes. He LOVES Clif bars...I tried to eat one once while running and just couldn't stomach it. I had better luck with Rice Krispy treats (the premade, prewrapped ones), but even those were more than my stomach really tolerated well under race conditions. I have had the best luck with gels and jelly beans (regular Jelly Belly ones). I think I want to try Sport Beans this year, too. MTA that I did once try Fig Newtons, but those didn't do any better on my gut than the Rice Krispy treats, IIRC.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Thanks for the replies. I know my fade (I'm in denial about saying I hit the wall) is probably the result of a couple factors. Not enough miles in training and the constant ocean wind in my face,,, but on race day, there was nothing I could do to change those two things. I think I let myself down on the one thing that I could control on race day: the way I fueled my body. I thought I might find some fellow runners out there that have had success with stuff more substantial than gels and other quick sugar nutrients,, and the perspective of the cyclists out there would helpful. So thanks again for the responses. Based on my running/racing plans for the year, it will be several months before I'm doing more 20 milers. When I'm at period in my training, I'll try do a better job finding what works for me. Thanks
                Ha! I thought this was going to be a thread on the Bikers vs. Runners Wars. And I had plenty to say about them @#$%@Q% bikers. Never mind. Carry on.
                Ha, Jake, let 'er rip! What do you think of cycling vs. running? Do you even bike as a cross-training tool?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

JakeKnight

Ha, Jake, let 'er rip! What do you think of cycling vs. running?
                  Forget it, man. That's how civil wars start. But bikers should stay out of my log. I sometimes say mean things about you. You and your spandex and your beady little eyes ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Forget it, man. That's how civil wars start. But bikers should stay out of my log. I sometimes say mean things about you. You and your spandex and your beady little eyes ...
                    ...popping their garlic-laden organic tofu cubes as they roll along their merry way.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

protoplasm72

I would avoid power bars or anything with a lot of protein. Protein takes longer to digest and will do you no good during a race. It just increase your chances or cramping up or other worse intestinal issues Tight lipped That's why gels, sport beans, and similar products don't have any protein. I don't do a lot of long bike rides but I don't think you have the same digestion problems while biking. I can pretty much eat a regular meal and hop on my bike for an hour without much problem but I need 3 hours to digest before I go out on even a short run.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Team HTFU NCTR Driver

Silly pedestrian. did

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Silly pedestrian. did
                          Watch yourself, chamois-ass! Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I still want to know what is meant by "cylcing"
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I still want to know what is meant by "cylcing"
                              I think it's like cnadybars...
                              MTA: I ran my loing run yesterday with just a cnadybar at mile 21...
                              Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey