cobblestones on Philadelphia Marathon course? (Read 401 times)

jfa

Any veterans out there of the Philly Marathon? I would like to be prepared for the cobblestones. How far of a distance on them and at what point on the course? Thanks

wayfool

unless they decide to change the route last minute, which they did last year (make sure you ask and grab any photocopies that look like a course map!), I don't think there were any cobblestones on the route. Here's the route from last year.... you can check for yourself. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1461229 Apparently in the past, the route was slightly different and there was 100m stretch of cobblestones... nothing to really worry about. Good luck!
        I did Philly in 2005 & yes there was a cobblestone street it was also very banked, it seriously hurt my already injuried hip. I'm thinking it was approx mile 9 and yes it was only about 100 yards or so. I think the banked road caused the hip pain not the cobblestones.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

I believe when you run past Independance hall there is cobblestone there. I've tried hard to block that marathon out of my memory lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

jfa

Thanks a lot for the info everyone! I will check it out some more,but it doesn't appear to be a big problem.

wayfool

Oh... and I ran it in 2007. And just so that you don't think everyone had a negative experience at Philly, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It is by no means flat, but all the hills are in the 1st half, with the exception of an overpass around mile 18. The weather was great, and I ended up running a 14 minute PR.