Scaring people while running (Read 1036 times)

CT JEFF

My goal wasnt to scare anybody - so I didnt wear this while running around town after Halloween. Also, its a little hard to see out of.

But I did wear my Skeleton Suit on 1/1/13 for a 10K. NO, I still didnt scare anybody, but got some good attention.

SKELETON MASK

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28

NO RACES SCHEDULED ! ! ! - - I need a race. 

the kenyan

Y'all are polite.  If there's enough space to simply pass on one side, then I'll pass.  If the path is too small, then an 'on your left' suffices.  I try to make more noise when I'm approaching people who don't appear to detect my presence yet.   But if there are 5 people douchily walking abreast and taking up the path, then all bets are off.

Loves the outdoors

I hadn't thought much about this, but after a pretty scary incident yesterday I am changing my approach.  I was running on a trail I run frequently. It has some narrow sections, with 20-30m cliffs along some parts. A guy died last year on the same trail mountain biking, but as long as you pay attention it's never been much of a concern to me while running. Yesterday I was catching up to a woman walking with a young baby in a backpack along this narrower section of trail. I thought she had hear me coming behind her with the noise I was making on the gravel. Clearly I was wrong as when I was only a few metres behind her she finally heard me and stepped off to her left a little startled to let me past. However, left was the cliff and I saw her balance start to go and I lunged and grabbed her by her arm. I really think if I hadn't grabbed her she would have gone over and I wish I had been wearing a HRM, as I suspect it would have been interesting to see my HR spike. All ended ok, but I finished my run feeling a bit shaken. I will definitely be giving some earlier warning noises on this part of the trail in future!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Ultra Cowboy

My goal wasnt to scare anybody - so I didnt wear this while running around town after Halloween. Also, its a little hard to see out of.

But I did wear my Skeleton Suit on 1/1/13 for a 10K. NO, I still didnt scare anybody, but got some good attention.

Uh Huh....

I'm a rambler, I'm a gambler, I'm a green lumber handler, I'm a gypo from Pelican Bay....

I hadn't thought much about this, but after a pretty scary incident yesterday I am changing my approach.  I was running on a trail I run frequently. It has some narrow sections, with 20-30m cliffs along some parts. A guy died last year on the same trail mountain biking, but as long as you pay attention it's never been much of a concern to me while running. Yesterday I was catching up to a woman walking with a young baby in a backpack along this narrower section of trail. I thought she had hear me coming behind her with the noise I was making on the gravel. Clearly I was wrong as when I was only a few metres behind her she finally heard me and stepped off to her left a little startled to let me past. However, left was the cliff and I saw her balance start to go and I lunged and grabbed her by her arm. I really think if I hadn't grabbed her she would have gone over and I wish I had been wearing a HRM, as I suspect it would have been interesting to see my HR spike. All ended ok, but I finished my run feeling a bit shaken. I will definitely be giving some earlier warning noises on this part of the trail in future!

Thank goodness you reacted quickly and were able to grab her!