1st crash with new bike :( (Read 1223 times)

pitrunner

Actually, it wasn't really a crash, more like a tip over since I couldn't get unclipped fast enough. But it got me thinking...how bad is an actual high speed crash going to be with my feet locked in like that? Do you just go ass over elbows with the bike hooked to you the whole time? Makes me a nervous nellie. Anyone have any bad experiences?

jules2

Don't worry in my experience ( which racing Mountain Bikes is extensive ) nature has a wonderfull way of parting you from your pedals. I think the bike is so ashamed of having a poor rider that it wants to get away from you and hide with shame.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

jules2

Don't worry in my experience ( which racing Mountain Bikes is extensive ) nature has a wonderful way of parting you from your pedals. I think the bike is so ashamed of having a poor rider that it wants to get away from you and hide with shame. whoops pressed the button twice but at least wonderful is now spelt correctly

Hoodoo Guru

I have started trying to commute by bike to work one or two days a week. Last week, on my second ride, I was going through a park to get to the Greenway. There was absolutely zero traffic in the park, except for me and a big bus. It looked like they were using the trafficless park as a training ground for bus drivers. As I approached the intersection where the bus was stopped, he started to pull out. He proceeded to turn right in front of me, the corner of the bus coming to within 1-2 feet of me at a spot where I had no shoulder before he finally started straightening out. He continued driving around the park, and ended up driving right towards me, beforer he pulled into a parking space. I pulled up next to him and yelled at him. "Do you realize how close you came to hitting me?" He opened up his little window and said he couldn't have come close to me, because I had stopped. "Would I be yelling at you now if I had stopped? He then closed his little window, turned around and spoke to his instructor, opened up his window and in a condescending little voice said, "Well, if you think I just about hit you, then I am sorry." He then closed his window. I purposely go out of my way to ride a course where I have as little traffic as possible and this happens. If he had hit me, I don't think whether my shoes were locked in clips or not would have made any difference. I would hate to be clipped in if an accident seemed imminent and I wanted to bail off the bike before impact.

The tangents are moot.

I did the same thing 4th of July. I still can't explain what happened, I think I just blanked and found myself falling over and unable to get out of my clips. I either broke my ribs or really really hurt them, as I still can't cough without wincing, and swimming has been a real problem. I know a few people that have had real accidents, but no one that really got hurt. Usually got some kind of settlement anyway as it was always the drivers fault. My latest big fear is doors. I'm convinced I'm going to get doored-people forgot about the bike lane they are parked next to once they turn the car off.

jules2

Never hit the side of a car always slap it on the roof as they are just like giant drum skins. Vans can be hit on the side. I attacked a lorry last year when it cut me up but thats another story. I always think the advantage of a bike is you cant be traced as you have no number plate.

Get back up!

You pretty much become unclipped in a wreck. Not sure the physics of it, it just usually happens. I've been doored, T-boned, you pretty much name it. I've spent years riding my bike in nyc and philly. I find the suburbs a lot worse than the city. If you see a car just park, thats a good time to look out for the door (but always be alert anyhow). It sounds sad, but pretty much every vehicle on the road doesn't care about you and has the attitude that if you get hit/hurt "so be it." Try to give the cars a little extra room, don't expect them to obey traffic laws (you have a right to take up an entire lane no matter how slow you go), turn in front of you and even try to run you off. No one's really looking out for you, so you gotta look out for everyone else. Hate to sound negative, just what i've gathered over years. And expecting that truck/car/bus to turn right in front of me, even if i'm wrong 9 of 10 times, that 1 time its worth it when you're right.
                Live your heart and never follow.
                pitrunner

You pretty much become unclipped in a wreck. Not sure the physics of it, it just usually happens.
                  Ok, good. That's what I was hoping for. I keep picturing myself in a tangled mess of steel because my darn shoes woudn't come unclipped. I've had some pretty nasty mountain biking crashes where I wasn't clipped in. I figured a road crash could end up being far worse since I'm physically attached to the bike. At this point though, I'm so obsessed with my new bike that I'm more worried about injuring it than myself. Big grin
                    You pretty much become unclipped in a wreck. Not sure the physics of it, it just usually happens.
                    I've found this to be very true. Except in 0mph crashes while trying to track stand. With a crowd nearby.
                      I'm kinda glad its not just me who crashed their shiny new bike on their first ride out. bummer dealing with the scratches huh?
                      free happiness with every moment!

TRIing to beat the heat!

Everyone crashes in clipless pedals at least once. Consider yourself part of the 'club' now. Eventually unclipping will become as first nature as applying the brakes. Stick with it!

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

pitrunner

I'm kinda glad its not just me who crashed their shiny new bike on their first ride out. bummer dealing with the scratches huh?
                          Luckily it wasn't my very first time out or I really would've kicked myself. I've been out 5 or 6 times so far and each time I think to myself "the first crash has got to be coming soon." ha ha!
                          pitrunner

Everyone crashes in clipless pedals at least once. Consider yourself part of the 'club' now. Eventually unclipping will become as first nature as applying the brakes. Stick with it!
                            I sure hope so! Right now I sort of have this inner monologue the entire time I"m on the bike: uh oh, yikes, whoaaa, uh oh...

Get back up!

I've found this to be very true. Except in 0mph crashes while trying to track stand. With a crowd nearby.
                              Ha, exactly! If you're going fast and wreck, they come undone. You come to a crowded intersection, slow to an almost stop, try to unclip but falter for a second, that's when you stay in em. Whoever said "welcome to the club" pretty much nailed it dead on. It happens to everyone at least once.
                              Live your heart and never follow.

jules2

Run Runner I couldn't agree more with your comments its the slow speed ones that get you. I got my Time Trial bike out and decided to go to work and back on it just to make sure it was Ok I nearly came off at some traffic lights at slow speed. It was only when I got home that I realised one of the bolts had come out of my cleats and the shoe was twisting but the cleat staying still. I've also had a cleat rip straight off the shoe and another time the sole of a shoe break when I was on one of the remotest tracks in Scotland