F^&*ing wisdom teeth (Read 836 times)

dfffff

I had 4 impacted teeth as well and I was laid out for a week. When I got back to running it was after a bunch of cycling due to injuries and then, of course, the wisdom teeth so my legs seemed to have atrophied a considerable amount. I was only able to run 1-2 miles a day. So I went from 1 month of 0 miles to 11 miles to 30 to 55 a week when cross country started. Surprisingly, I'm not any worse off for it. Worst case scenario: You can't move for a week and you'll become slightly suicidal but it probably won't hold you back much long-term.

Just Be

I had all 4 pulled with local and was running the next day because I didn't need any pain meds.

Oh Mighty Wing

I only had 2 pulled. Was not put to sleep, only had laughing gas and novicain (sp?). Hurt like heck. The pain meds made me get sick. Was on the couch for 2 days. Remember - NO STRAWS!! or anything else that could knock those blood clots out. My girlfriend in college got dry socket. It was really painful!! And she had to use a syringe to clean it out. Really it was not good. If taking 3 days off means you're gums heal properly then it's worth it. I think that's something only you can judge though. oh also depending on how sore you are you might not be eating enough to have the energy to run. If the only thing you can swallow is soft foods or only liquids you may only be good for sitting on the couch changing channels.
          Ok, so just to give an update on this, I got all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth yanked out last Friday. It was all good as of Sunday night...slight swelling, some expected pain, etc. I had plenty of pain killers and soft foods, so I figured I'd be back on my feet Monday. Well, Monday morning I started having serious pain in my right jaw, so I'm thinking dry sockets. Only it wasn't crazy intense pain like I've heard dry sockets are. It was just a consistent nagging tooth ache. The kind that pretty much makes it all you can think about and gives you a headache and keeps you from sleeping at night because it gets worse if you lie down flat. Well, the dentist says it's probably muscle spasms and gives me more Percoset and some Valium to help me sleep. What a nightmare of a week. When I wasn't at work I was drugged, so I couldn't really even think about running. Finally today (Friday, one full week after the surgery), I went out for a really slow 5 miler, and it was great. I still have some pain but I think I'm on the downhill side of it. This was on the heels of a 2-week family work/vacation trip on which I got to run very little. So as you can see by my log, the last few weeks have been a real drag. The 1000 mile pace bunny has been making serious gains on me. Before all this started I was over 40 miles ahead of him. He actually passed me up by a mile or so yesterday, but I put him back behind me with my run today. Hopefully I can put some distance between us now.
          Lisa3.1

Ok, so just to give an update on this, I got all 4 of my impacted wisdom teeth yanked out last Friday. It was all good as of Sunday night...slight swelling, some expected pain, etc. I had plenty of pain killers and soft foods, so I figured I'd be back on my feet Monday. Well, Monday morning I started having serious pain in my right jaw, so I'm thinking dry sockets. Only it wasn't crazy intense pain like I've heard dry sockets are. It was just a consistent nagging tooth ache. The kind that pretty much makes it all you can think about and gives you a headache and keeps you from sleeping at night because it gets worse if you lie down flat. Well, the dentist says it's probably muscle spasms and gives me more Percoset and some Valium to help me sleep. What a nightmare of a week. When I wasn't at work I was drugged, so I couldn't really even think about running. Finally today (Friday, one full week after the surgery), I went out for a really slow 5 miler, and it was great. I still have some pain but I think I'm on the downhill side of it. This was on the heels of a 2-week family work/vacation trip on which I got to run very little. So as you can see by my log, the last few weeks have been a real drag. The 1000 mile pace bunny has been making serious gains on me. Before all this started I was over 40 miles ahead of him. He actually passed me up by a mile or so yesterday, but I put him back behind me with my run today. Hopefully I can put some distance between us now.
            did they put you to sleep, did you feel any discomfort Ugh, I hate the thought of it, I, too, have postponed that for as long as I have.
              did they put you to sleep, did you feel any discomfort Ugh, I hate the thought of it, I, too, have postponed that for as long as I have.
              Oh, yeah they knocked me completely out. He pricked my arm and said "ok youre going to get a little sleepy" then I woke up and it was all done. If not for the muscle spasm stuff that started Monday it really wouldn't have been a big deal. Just keep ice on it for the first 36 hours or so, and I mean keep it on there all the time. I tied a scarf around my head to hold them on and would change them out as soon as they weren't cold anymore. I barely had any swelling.

Just me...

Sorry for your set back! I completely understand. I had my wisdom teeth(all four, 3 were impacted) out Tuesday. This is the first time I've had surgery for anything so I didn't realize the pain that I was feeling wasn't normal. Turns out I had dry socket. Went in for my post op check yesterday and had to have the sockets cleaned and packed with medicated gauze......fun fun! It hurt like hell during the packing but afterwards was the first time I've been pain free during this whole ordeal. Glad you are doing well. LT

3/22/09- 177.0 Goal- 145(flexible)

uncontrollable

ouch

peace

2nd update - with some still nagging jaw pain and very few miles under my belt in the last 3 weeks, I ran in a 3 mile race Saturday morning and PR'd it! Those damn wisdom teeth must have been weighing me down, man. I was 2 minutes faster than in the same race last year. I'm already trying to figure out what insignificant body part I can have removed next....I need to get my 5k under 20 minutes!
                      I got mine out in my teens and rested up for about a day. My jaw line looked awful as it was swollen, but I still went out after 1 day after the surgery. Friends of mine who got them out were out for much longer; one to two weeks. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- My experience (or what I remember) Pre-surgery The room spun around when I set the mix to 0% oxygen. Surgery I woke up for part of it but was too drugged to do anything. Post surgery I've never been that drugged up before in my life. Every limb was heavy. Oh and getting a chocolate shake afterwards was not the greatest idea. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- If I got them out these days, I would probably wait at least 1 week before doing any strenuous activity

Vim

I'm sure plenty of you have had your wisdom teeth pulled. I have to have all 4 of mine out next month. How long did you lay off from running? The oral surgeon didn't seem too concerned with it, but I don't want to jar a blood clot loose or something. I have heard lots of stories about dry sockets, etc. I have an irrational fear of getting teeth pulled and have put this off as long as I can.
                        I had all four of mine pulled a year and a half ago. I was put under general anasthesia for it. I took two days off completely and went back the third day.
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                          One of the advantages of the aging process, all of mine were pulled years ago. I think I was off 3-4 days but I can't really remember.
                          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

I had all four of mine pulled when I was 16 or so. I was scared to death, but it hardly bothered me at all. It was done on a Friday afternoon, and I was back at school on Monday.

The Greatest of All Time

Dr. Mengele the Army dentist yanked mine under local. One of them was not above the jaw line yet, so a hole was drilled in my jaw, the tooth cut, and removed in pieces. Absolute misery. Cry I got one day of bed rest and then had to go to the field. I couldn't eat real food for a week. Man, that sucked.
                              all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.