Where do you run? (Read 832 times)

I'm about half a mile from the UW Arboretum. It's a wooded road that winds around Lake Wingra, and is beautiful. I don't know how I managed to run in the city for several years, with stoplights, traffic and pedestrians. There's also a nice bike path that pretty much takes me directly to where I'll be working this summer 5 miles away, as well as the classic Lakeshore path and the campus in general.
      I always think, gosh, I'd love to be able to run on trails. But realistically, even if I there were some longer than the 3 or 4 miles ones close to me, I don't think I could do it. It's just not safe for a woman to be out on a low visibility trail by herself. Because of our mild weather, there are a lot of transients and illegal aliens who stay in wooded areas. Aside from them, there are just your everday pervs on the loose. There was a report just the other day of a female jogger being sexually assaulted on a trail near my home, that I frequent with my kids. Sad It's really frustrating.

Jennifer mm#1231

Shiksa

I run around my neighborhood and town. Both are very small, but scenic. It is the benefit of trail running but with more visibility. Smile LAB-Where my sister lives in MO, a woman was brutally beaten on a trail by a teenager. Shocked He was caught by a passerby and a sexual assault was sidelined. I love the thought of trail running, but would feel most comfortable with a partner and I'm not easily spooked.

Stacy
        I make no apologies for my liberal use of smiley icons. http://www.BlakeHillHouse.com

I am so jealous of you Trishie. I went to college in Balto. It's my second home. I am looking into races in Balto. They have a million . I took a running class in college. Hated it then. My final was running for a half hour. I was hung over and running through piles of cicada shells. ewwwww
          Where at? I'm finishing up at UB Law (um, on Monday Shocked ) and live near Patterson Park. I love this city .... it's sketchy at night and always kind of shady, but it's really growing on me Smile Yes, there are TONS of races in and around here!
          2009: BQ?
            I run around my neighborhood and town. Both are very small, but scenic. It is the benefit of trail running but with more visibility. Smile LAB-Where my sister lives in MO, a woman was brutally beaten on a trail by a teenager. Shocked He was caught by a passerby and a sexual assault was sidelined. I love the thought of trail running, but would feel most comfortable with a partner and I'm not easily spooked.
            eek! Shocked yah, I'm not easily spooked but I'm not dumb either. Tongue OT Stacy, but my mom just told me that Bass Pro was going to start sponsoring a marathon in Springfield. I hope it's better than the other one they had there...It was on a 3mile loop. A 3 mile loop 8+ times? ugh. Dead

Jennifer mm#1231

jcasetnl

I always think, gosh, I'd love to be able to run on trails. But realistically, even if I there were some longer than the 3 or 4 miles ones close to me, I don't think I could do it. It's just not safe for a woman to be out on a low visibility trail by herself. Because of our mild weather, there are a lot of transients and illegal aliens who stay in wooded areas. Aside from them, there are just your everday pervs on the loose. There was a report just the other day of a female jogger being sexually assaulted on a trail near my home, that I frequent with my kids. Sad It's really frustrating.
              I run up in redwood park and joaquin miller parks in Oakland and there are the same issues. About ten years ago a lone female jogger was sexually assaulted on the trail. I actually happened to be there when a news crew showed up and they interviewed me since I was a regular. Most of the women I see up there run during daylight hours (sunset is around 8:15 PM and I don't see many after 7PM). Some run with a dog and some run with a partner. Might not be a bad idea to carry some pepper spray, too. I think trail running is realtively safe if people take a few basic precautions.
                The majority of my runs are at night through the streets of north Leominster. I've got routes from 5-10 miles. Some have more hills than others, my major criteria is streetlights. When I feel like hitting the woods I run in either Leominster State Forest or Groton Town Forest.
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, you gals have touched on the main reason I don't do trails. Even running backroads makes me a bit uneasy, but I don't have much choice where I live. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

In Cape Cod, the rail trail is great... the RA map even has it, so you can map your distance! A little of topic, but how do I get my running groups to show in my signature?
                    va

A little of topic, but how do I get my running groups to show in my signature?
                      You can configure your signature in Options/My Form Preferences.

madness baby

I run in neighborhoods around my apartment. Sometimes I'll run or bike the 3 miles to the beach and run along the Strand for a while and get in some good people-watching in Santa Monica. That's hard on the knees, though, so sometimes I'll drive down to a greenway in Manhattan Beach for longer runs. I'm lucky to have 2 parks with water fountains on my neighborhood runs and the Strand and the greenway have tons of water stops. Very important for me!
                        deb
                          Where at? I'm finishing up at UB Law (um, on Monday Shocked ) and live near Patterson Park. I love this city .... it's sketchy at night and always kind of shady, but it's really growing on me Smile Yes, there are TONS of races in and around here!
                          Condom College - The College of Notre Dame of MD. I was especially homesick this weekend, Preakness weekend.
                            Kelstar - What college did you go to? I was at TU. I remember the summer with the cicadas. I think I stayed in the gym for the most part that year.
                            You were 4 when i ran on the cicadas, lol. I spent a few nights at TU.
                              I almost forgot. Congrats on your degree Trishie.
                                Streets, local greenway or any of the state parks I can drive to. It really depends on what my goal is for the day. If it's a long easy run, more than likely I'm heading out on the trails as the streets get boring after so long.