Lifting After Surgery... (Read 57 times)

Better I Leave

So...

I tore my bicep clean off the elbow last October, right? For the longest time I wasn't allowed to lift even a quart of milf fercrissakes. I've been given the "green light" to start lifting again...LIGHTLY.

Feels good to be lifting again, but I've lost a lot of strength, weight, and size since October. Just doing 20lb dumbbell curls, upright rows on the Smith with an unloaded bar, tricep pressdowns w/ 50lbs, and flat bench w/ 75lbs. Far cry from where I was "pre injury" but GAWD I love lifting.

Anyone else know the feeling? Smile

Feeling the growl again

A coworker of mine...a former D-I wrestling standout...recently did this.  He's only 6 weeks out from surgery, still in the "don't lift 5lbs" phase.  I can tell it's frustrating for him.  Nothing useful to add but best of luck with your recovery.  It really sucks not to do the things you are use to being able to do...perhaps find some other activity to channel your energy to in the meantime...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

an amazing likeness

I've also have never been cleared to lift a quart of milf...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

tenacity

I've heard of this happening before-- just wondering how you tore your bicep off?

Better I Leave

...perhaps find some other activity to channel your energy to in the meantime...

Oh I have. I've really thrown myself into my running. Oddly enough, this "setback" has provided me an opportunity to fully "appreciate" running. You see, before injuring myself, I saw running a bit like an enjoyable "secondary" component to my fitness regimen. When I injured myself, I asked the doc "Well if I can't lift, surely I can run, right?" He said "Absolutely."...So I threw myself into it. I've put on more running miles since last October than in the 2 years "pre-injury"...and I have intention of slowing down...Smile

Better I Leave

I've also have never been cleared to lift a quart of milf...

Oops. LOL!

Better I Leave

I've heard of this happening before-- just wondering how you tore your bicep off?

I wish I could say I tore it during a "lift" or on the Tough Mudder...but no. I was lifting an old 36" tube TV (Big and heavy but I've lifted it plenty of times before.), I turned to place it on the stand and...."POP" I felt it, I heard it...I knew exactly what had happened. I set the TV down and told my wife...We need to go to the ER. I just separated my bicep. Boy did my arm turn purple over the subsequent days. I got pics. Wanna see? Wink **grin**

Not dead. Yet.

GAWD I love lifting.

Anyone else know the feeling? Smile

I love the pump.  I think Arnold put it best in Pumping Iron.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjG2s6UOaw

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

Better I Leave

Just got the HD television in, Blu-Ray, and receiver. My gym is turning into a "man cave"...LOL!

Not dead. Yet.

Here's mine.  I need to start lifting again!  Where do I fit a treadmill??

Better I Leave

Very nice!!! I'd love to have that much real estate for a home gym. First thing I'd get is a squat rack.

Not dead. Yet.

Very nice!!! I'd love to have that much real estate for a home gym. First thing I'd get is a squat rack.

I got lucky.  The place I bought had a little basement that couldn't really be used for much else.  I want to get a cage with pulleys and a lat pull down.  The ceiling is very low though, so I'll have to get it custom made.  I guess I have other priorities at the moment, but you've got me thinking...