Mizuno Precisions - Mizuno Wave Riders - Other similar neutral shoes (Read 1408 times)

Kennedy

I've been alternating between Mizuno Precisions and Saucony Rides for a couple years. The Sauconys seem to work well and fit decent, but the fit of the Mizuno Precisions is probably the best fit I've experienced in 25 years of running. The only problem is the lack of cushioning in the Mizuno Precisions. They do fine on dirt roads, but when I have to run on the street, I can feel the shock within a mile or two. It's been several years since I ran in Mizuno Wave Riders, but it seems like they lacked cushioning also. Anyone know of a neutral shoe that fits like the Mizuno Precisions but has a little more cushioning? I don't mind going up a little in weight (the Precisions weigh 9.9 ounces), but I don't want to go much higher than about 11.5 ounces.

TRIing to beat the heat!

Nike Lunar Trainers- LOADS of cushion, but with super light feel like the Precisions. I freakin' love these shoes! My feet like Mizuno shoes as well, so I'm thinking that the Lunar Trainers may work for you.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

...---...

Kennedy - I'm with you o the Mizuno fit. Mine are the wave Inspire an fit like a glove (3rd pair now).But like you, want more cushion for longer hauls. The closest thing I've found are Asics 2140 to the fit and feel of my inspires...but it's still considerably different. However, the Asics lack cushion in the forefoot. I'm trying the Mizuno Nirvana now - more cushion, but not as good of a fit as the Inspire.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

mikeymike

It's been a while since I ran in the Precisions and I don't really remember how they fit, but I generally run in lightweight, neutral shoes. I'm not super brand loyal and to be honest don't notice a lot of difference in the fit of shoes in this category. I have three pair that I'm currently using: Asics Speedstar 3, Saucony Grid Sinister, and Nike Zoom Skylon+11. Of these, the Skylons are the most cushy, the Sinisters the least. The Speedstars are the roomiest in the forefoot and are in between the Skylons and Sinisters in terms of cushioning.

Runners run

Kennedy

I'll see if I can try on some of the shoes mentioned here. We don't have a running shoe store where I live, but I'll be in Albuquerque in about 2 weeks and should be able to try on some shoes then. MikeyMike - I wish I had your situation with being able to go from shoe to shoe without having much fit problems. I tried the Saucony Grid Sinister, and although they felt good in the store, I hated them when I got home and went for a run. And I had purchased them out of town. I ended up putting about 25 miles on those shoes, and they've been sitting in my closet since last April.

flatland mountaineer

Might try the new Riders, they are advertised as having more cushion than the older models. I have the 11's I think, and the newest models are advertised as having more cushion. In any event much more cushion than my Elixars. I really like the fit and feel of Mizuno but am trying some other brands to try and fix some issues.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Kennedy

Thanks. I'll see if I can find some to try on in Albuquerque. The running shoe store I sometimes check in Durango, CO, doesn't carry Mizunos. And I hate ordering them off the Internet and then having to send them back if they don't fit well. I ran in my Mizuno Precisions last night, and just a 4-miler was tough. There's zero cushioning left in them, and they only have about 350 miles on them. I remember the good ole days when my body wasn't so banged up, and I'd start thinking about getting new shoes when they had 1,000 miles on them.
                mikeymike

Yeah the Sinisters are my least favorite of the three mentioned--they're kind of narrow and have the hardest soles. I think you might like the Speedstars. Another option if cushioning is your priority is the Asics Gel-Landreths. They're not as light and flexible as the Speedstars, but are very cushy.

Runners run

Right on Hereford...

Might try the new Riders, they are advertised as having more cushion than the older models. I have the 11's I think, and the newest models are advertised as having more cushion. In any event much more cushion than my Elixars. I really like the fit and feel of Mizuno but am trying some other brands to try and fix some issues.
                    Yes the new Wave Rider 12 feels more cushioned than the 11. In fact, I had the chance to test 15 pairs of shoes over the fall and the WR 12 was the most cushioned shoe of them all. They are the pair I'm running in now. By the way, I'm not a shoe expert or anything. Just a guy who knows some people.
                    Kennedy

Ok. I just ordered the Mizuno Wave Rider 12's. I'll give some feedback after I've had a few runs in them. Thanks for all the input.

Non ducor, duco.

I got some new Precisions today. I guess I tried them in men's sizes because they were blue. My local store ordered them and they are PINK. Disgusting powder pink. Good grief they are ugly.
                          Good grief they are ugly.
                          You run so fast that no one will notice. Wink

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

TRIing to beat the heat!

I got some new Precisions today. I guess I tried them in men's sizes because they were blue. My local store ordered them and they are PINK. Disgusting powder pink. Good grief they are ugly.
                            I found them to be quite fug too. They weren't just pink... they were SUPER pink! And I usually like pink! Wink

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL