new app idea - connect with local runners (Read 149 times)

btm

Hi guys

I'm exploring the feasibility of an app that would quickly connect you with others who share your interests. The idea actually evolved from my frustrations with meetup.com and my positive experiences with meeting local snowboarders online. 

You can check out the prototype here

Your honest feedback and comments are welcomed.

Not dead. Yet.

Cool app!  I love the design and layout.  Very user friendly.  Not sure I would use it personally, but I can imagine it would be great for pick up games and the like.

Thinking about it more, maybe it would be useful to be able to filter your results based on a tag or some other aspect.  For example if you only wanted others tagged as "runners" or "hikers" to join your activity.  I don't know.  I think you are on to something, though.

Good luck!

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Yeah, if I had a smart-phone I'd probably use this.  I just moved to a new area and it would help to find runners at my pace.  Hopefully, there will be a web version?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

MrH

So ... Tinder without the expectation of casual sex?

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

btm

We are actually thinking of doing a web version first before mobile =)

Thanks for the feedback guys, so what are your thoughts/preferences on the running abilities of those that you meet up with?

an amazing likeness

What's the difference between your idea and www.pacepal.com ?

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

We are actually thinking of doing a web version first before mobile =)

Thanks for the feedback guys, so what are your thoughts/preferences on the running abilities of those that you meet up with?

Always nice to hear the web has not been forgotten.

For running specific preferences, I'd mostly be looking for expected pace (in minutes per mile, not mph) and expected total distance.  These are the bare minimum things you need to know when meeting with other runners.  Other things that would be nice to know:

- is this an easy run, or a specific workout.  For example, if the location is a track, I'd want to know a lot more: 1) the workout (free-text) and 2) the paces for the intervals (so I know if I can keep up).

- The expected terrain would be a nice advertisement option (hills, soft-surface, etc)

But really, all i need to know is pace and distance.  And even distance is kinda optional.  Specific track workouts would be interesting to add, though.

So, what I'd hope to see is an ad something like this:

15miler on Lakeshore Path: starting at Oak St. [click here for route]

Avg pace: 7:30 mpm

5:30am

or

8x800m at Jefferson HighSchool Track

Avg pace: 5:50 mpm

5:30am rain or shine

Obviously, the most important thing for the app is critical mass.  Making it easy for current running groups to schedule their runs though the app (for current members) would be a good start.  Most of our Sub3 group does it by email, currently.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

btm

how you guys tried meetup.com?

That's a pretty good way to schedule routine workouts or runs?