Anyone had a good experience with a "second chance" marathon? (Read 634 times)

Hi: I ran Portland Marathon last Sunday. I had a horrible performance - completely my fault - the weather was just fine - I paced myself too aggressively. I should have very conservatively been able to pull off a 3:50 but instead came in at 4:12. I ran my first 8 miles on pace for sub 3:40 and paid for it later. My PB is 3:48 and I ran a 1:45 half in August. I would like to run Seattle at the end of November - giving me 7 weeks. I trained hard and absolutely according to plan. I have not been injured and am an experienced runner (this was my 8th marathon, I've done two Ironmans, too) I very easily kept up with my running buddies in the long runs (their performances were 3:29 and 3:46 on race day) Conventional wisdom would lead me to concentrating on my next half marathon and waiting for the Spring. Part of the reason I want to "sneak" another marathon in is that I'm turning 40 in April and my family (me mostly) was looking forward to the milestone trip to Boston. Has anyone done a second marathon shortly after a disappointment with success? Will I just be setting myself up for another bad experience? I'd be love to hear your opinons/ experiences. Thanks!
    Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
      I just finished 2 marathons 4 weeks apart and am training for my 3rd in 5 weeks. I wasn't dissappointed in my first since I was running it as a long distance slow run and even though I only finished my second one a little over 10 minutes faster, I'm very happy with how I ran it. It was even more enjoyable than the 1st one I ran in September. I've spent the summer training to listen to my body and learning how to finish my long runs as well as my speed workouts STRONG! Get lots of miles in and stay injured free and you can do it! Btw my marathon time in Sep was 4:11:51. Second on last Sunday was 4:01:47 and I know I could have easily knocked off another 5 minutes at least if I hadn't been enjoying myself so much and actually pushed the last 6 miles like I had planned. I'm looking to do between 3:50-4:00 on my next one. I'll be 39 next year and plan on running Boston right before my 40th birthday

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Thanks for sharing your experience. Too bad we aren't in the same city. I suspect we could have a fun training run together. I would not even consider this if I was feeling tired or run down. Instead, I'm feeling strong.... just a little demoralized after last week's performance!
        Goals: Marathon: break 3:40 Half marathon: break 1:42 10K: break 45:00 8 K: break 37:30
          Your welcome! And I agree! BTW I am from Seattle originally and LOVE Vancouver! If your feeling great, GO FOR IT!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

I say go for it, if you feel good. I ran a 50k trail race on Sep 9, and am planning on running MCM on Oct 28. I have a set of goals, and my absolute minimum goal time is a PR, although I aim to run at 6:00 minute pace and expect to run between 2:40 and 2:45. I haven't actually run two that close together yet, though. Ask me again in a few weeks... Good luck to you!

Run to Win
            25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Along for the Ride

*Hijacks thread a little bit* Pam - you are from Seattle?? I live in Seattle! BTW - congratulations on your Steamtown marathon... way to go! I love Vancouver too - have run 4 Half's there. Vancouver is such a great race. Well organized. Runningmom - I can't chime in too much. Your running and endurance experience is far greater than mine. Only one word of caution: the Seattle course is quite hilly. In contrast to the flat-as-a-pancake Portland course. Running the I-90 bridge gives you two long gentle "hills" and mile 20 has the E Galer street hill. That one is steep and short. How much would that slow you down? If you are going strictly for a Boston qualifier - Seattle is probably not the fastest course. But it's fun! Smile

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Jeffrey

Seattle M could be considered challenging ... you can read what others think at marathonguide.com. In my experience (Half Marathon) the course is pretty rewarding but difficult hills around 21m (Interlaken). - WEATHER November start usually means wet, cold with some degree of wind. Last year there was some snowy-rain falling at 5am day of race and steady rain throughout the entire race. Temp. at start was around 34 degrees. You are probably used to the weather if you are from PNW. I really enjoy running in the rain -- I am used to it! - ELEVATION I think race organizers pride themselves on disregarding all participant pleas to reduce the hills. Elevation for the Half Marathon is +1156/-1164. Half and Full share same course with M runners adding 13.1 south of i90 at 4.5m.
                I would like to run Seattle at the end of November - giving me 7 weeks.

You'll ruin your knees!

I could have easily knocked off another 5 minutes at least if I hadn't been enjoying myself so much imitating a skipped rock!
                  Just had to set the record straight! Blush Cool Clowning around

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Just had to set the record straight! Blush Cool Clowning around
                    Hey I did a pretty good job at it Tongue

Thanks to everyone for your input! Thanks for the reminder with regards to the hills and weather. I will keep everyone up to date. Boy, the marathon keeps you humble.