Here we go again. (Read 507 times)

Knee pain. Outside of my right knee. It kind of feels like I've twisted it, but its also like a sharp narrow shaft of pain from the outside moving inwards for about an inch. For the most part there is no pain, only for moments during a run or if I've been sitting in the same position for an extended period of time. Race(s) - 10k tomorrow (May 4) - half marathon next weekend (May 11) Here is what I know. - I need to go see a doc - I have weak quads and need to strengthen them - I'm about a flexible as granite, tight hamstrings and quads. Relevant information - Run in a couple of pairs of shoes, Asics currently have 285 miles, New Balance have 45 miles - No mileage increase History - Sat March 15 - First hint of pain. (Asics) - Sat March 22 - Noticed pain again (Asics) - Sat April 19 - Pain arrived when stopped at a red light. (Asics) - Mon April 22 - slight pain (Asics) - Tue April 23 - slight discomfort (NB) - Thu April 25 - slight pain, only running uphill (Asics) - Wed April 30 - pain for about 20 seconds (NB) - Thu May 1 - slight pain on uphill section (NB) - Sat May 3 - no pain except for 20 seconds when I had to walk due to pain. (NB)

SMART Approach

Here is what I know. - I need to go see a doc - I have weak quads and need to strengthen them - I'm about a flexible as granite, tight hamstrings and quads. <>
      You nailed on the head here. Are you sure you want to do two hard races within 7 days. You may not be fully recovered from your 10K heading into half?????

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

The 10k is all downhill.. Just doing the half as a lark, no plans to go really hard.. I have a friend running the full and I just wanted kill some time waiting for him to finish. Should I pull the chute on the half?

The Greatest of All Time

If the 10k is downhill it's just going to make your knee worse. Trust me on this. I have knee problems right now and am having to skip a marathon in a couple of weeks in favor of one a month later. Skip the 10k, rehab the knee, and then seen about the HM. You may have the same thing I have and if so, it's caused by muscle imbalance, so you're correct in that you need to strengthen your quads. Straight leg raises is where you should start. See what your doc tells you. I had steroid injections and start physical therapy next week. Don't do the 10k.
          all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.