The whole Boston jacket thing (Read 1785 times)

xhristopher

I think spouses earn those shirts even more than their runners do.

True.

Carl A

I woke up this morning, and the sun was gone.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I woke up this morning, and the sun was gone.

Gone when the jacket was on, or when it was off?

(Darn lazy kids that can't bother supplying all the relevant details....)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Julia1971

FYI for the ladies...  It's true what you're reading about the fit being off.  I bought a small and a medium and after trying them on, I think I need a smedium.  The small is fine for walking around in even though it's a little short in the torso for me (I'm 5'7), but I wouldn't want to run in it - it's a bit tight across the arms.  The medium is looser and fits my torso better but it's not very fitted in the waist.  I'm torn.  I may keep both.

Netizen Kane

I'll probably just spend the $100 on beer and pick up another Supernova t-shirt on the sales rounder for $15 a month after the race like I did last year.

Spot on. I didn't read the thread beyond this point.

It's just a jacket. You want one? Buy one. You want to wear it before, during or after the Boston Marathon? Knock yourself out.

+1

I started reading this thread and really find it hard to believe some of the things people are saying about the "do's and don'ts" of wearing a Boston Marathon jacket. It's a friggin jacket. And I am not saying that aimed at the people who want one, have bought one, or wear one; I am aiming that at the people who have all these "issues" with it. If you want a Boston Marathon jacket, for whatever reason, then by all means, buy one and wear it proudly. What it means to you is personal and doesn't matter one bit what anyone else thinks about it. To some people, wearing that jacket means the world to them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Heck, I know people who feel that way about their 13.1 sticker on their car. Would I put a sticker on my car? No. But who cares? It's personal. Point being, anyone who has a hang up about a jacket that someone else is wearing, for whatever reason, has some serious issues of their own. And the notion that you shouldn't wear it to another marathon... that is one of the most ridiculous hang ups of them all.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

+1

I started reading this thread and really find it hard to believe some of the things people are saying about the "do's and don'ts" of wearing a Boston Marathon jacket. It's a friggin jacket. And I am not saying that aimed at the people who want one, have bought one, or wear one; I am aiming that at the people who have all these "issues" with it. If you want a Boston Marathon jacket, for whatever reason, then by all means, buy one and wear it proudly. What it means to you is personal and doesn't matter one bit what anyone else thinks about it. To some people, wearing that jacket means the world to them, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Heck, I know people who feel that way about their 13.1 sticker on their car. Would I put a sticker on my car? No. But who cares? It's personal. Point being, anyone who has a hang up about a jacket that someone else is wearing, for whatever reason, has some serious issues of their own. And the notion that you shouldn't wear it to another marathon... that is one of the most ridiculous hang ups of them all.

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

bhearn

And the notion that you shouldn't wear it to another marathon... that is one of the most ridiculous hang ups of them all.

But can I wear it to an ultra? I will admit, I felt like a total dork standing next to Geoff Roes at the end of Chuckanut 50K today, wearing my Boston jacket. Yeah, this is Mr. Western States course record, who also just won the 350-mile Iditarod. Look at me, I ran Boston!

But can I wear it to an ultra? I will admit, I felt like a total dork standing next to Geoff Roes at the end of Chuckanut 50K today, wearing my Boston jacket. Yeah, this is Mr. Western States course record, who also just won the 350-mile Iditarod. Look at me, I ran Boston!

You can wear it anywhere you want. It's just a friggin jacket from a marathon. Yeah, it's the Boston Marathon, but so what? Why shouldn't you wear it and be proud of it? Doesn't mean you have to go around puffing out your chest, comparing yourself to every guy you stand next to. That's the part I don't get. If you are wearing a Boston jacket with the mindset of "look at me, I ran Boston," and somehow feel that you are making some sort of statement, then I guess you are going to have to deal with feeling like a dork in some situations. Me? I will wear my Boston jacket wherever and whenever I feel like it, because I love the race and am proud to have run it. Not because I think I am somehow "above" anyone else or that it makes some statement as to my cool guy ranking in the runner world. If someone has some silly issue with me wearing the jacket for whatever reason, I feel bad for them. They need to get a life.

Lazy bastard didn't even run the race!  What, he jogs around in the snow for a while and suddenly his legs don't work anymore?  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Kalsarikännit

But can I wear it to an ultra?

No.  And don't wear a 100 mile shirt to a 5k.  Read the rules.*

The exception is if you become a legend in your sport.  Then you can do whatever you damn well want.

*Yes, technically everyone here can do whatever they want.  Personally I recommend wearing medals for three days after the event.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

xor

A shirt is just a shirt ***... but can you wear a belt buckle to a 5k?

As for the whole jacket thing, I'm on record repeatedly in this thread as "it's just a coat, do what you want" person.  That said, I very much see the 'uncomfortable' side here as it applies specifically to yesterday's event with a very deep field of ultrarunner heavy hitters. Ah well.  I'm still wearing my boston jacket if I feel like it.

Eh.  You could be Catra.  (I have no idea what this means except that her costume at Javelina was more disturbing than funny)

*** (yeah yeah. "But a manwich is a meal")

xor

Speaking of, I keep running into Hal at races... and for the last few months, he's sported the cockeyed-hat look. At first I thought it was unintentional, then I thought it was for a specific sun angle.   Then yesterday he did it during a race while it was gray and snowing like a mofo.  I guess it is a fashion choice.

I will start doing this too.  While wearing my Sweet Jacket.

Kalsarikännit

he's sported the cockeyed-hat look. 

Gang affiliation?

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

bhearn

If you are wearing a Boston jacket with the mindset of "look at me, I ran Boston," and somehow feel that you are making some sort of statement, then I guess you are going to have to deal with feeling like a dork in some situations.

No, I was wearing my Boston jacket at the time because it's the most suitable jacket I happen to own for long, wet runs. Didn't stop me from feeling like a dork standing next to Geoff Roes. But then, that would probably be true even without the jacket.